Forum Index » GEAR » Justin Lichter has a new book...

Display Avatars Sort By:
Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Locale: Rockies
Justin Lichter has a new book... on 04/26/2012 14:51:12 MDT Print View

http://justinlichter.com/?page_id=986

Chad Poindexter
(Stick) - F

Locale: Wet & Humid Southeast....
Re: Justin Lichter has a new book... on 04/26/2012 17:22:30 MDT Print View

Nice. Thanks for sharing! I will have to add this to my next book order...

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Locale: Rockies
Re: Re: Justin Lichter has a new book... on 04/26/2012 20:49:44 MDT Print View

I have corresponded with Justin a few times and he is a super person, let alone an amazing trekker.

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Re: Re: Justin Lichter has a new book... on 04/26/2012 20:50:25 MDT Print View

Thanks for the tip/link Dave, looks like a great book!

Dan Durston
(dandydan) - M

Locale: Cascadia
Justin Lichter/Trauma on 04/26/2012 21:22:11 MDT Print View

Nice looking book. I'm ordering now.

Emil Gazda
(Emilio)

Locale: Southeast
Trail Tested on 05/07/2012 08:54:26 MDT Print View

Has any one had a chance to read this yet, what did you think? I'm curious and would've picked it up by now but there does not seem to be a digital version. Thanks

Dan Durston
(dandydan) - M

Trauma Book on 05/07/2012 20:48:16 MDT Print View

Mine's still in the mail....He was supposed to receive the books last Monday (ie. Apr 31) so they should be arriving at USA doorsteps around now, but mine is coming to Canada so it'll likely be another week.

David Lutz
(davidlutz)

Locale: Bay Area
"Justin Lichter has a new book..." on 05/07/2012 23:15:06 MDT Print View

Turns out that Justin works in ski patrol with a good friend of mine who was able to score a book for me. Signed by the author no less.

I've just started it, but the format is similar to Skurka's book. It will be interesting to see the similarities/differences between the two.

John Gilbert
(JohnG10) - F

Locale: Mid-Atlantic
Book on 05/23/2012 19:13:36 MDT Print View

How does Justin's book compare to Andrew's ? Gear focus ? Very similar advice ?

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: Justin Lichter has a new book... on 09/03/2012 18:16:05 MDT Print View

So what do you all think?

Dan Durston
(dandydan) - M

Lichter's Book on 09/03/2012 21:47:28 MDT Print View

I've read both books and I already posted a comparison in another thread, which could probably be looked up if someone cared enough. It's been quite a few months now since I read these books, so my memory is fading.

With that said, they're very different books and both worth reading. The strongest points of Skurka's book are the information on trip planning (great section) and the gear advice. Lichter is a more traditional hiker than Skurka (ie. framed packs, tents, sleeping bags etc) and the gear discussion isn't as analytical/engaging, so most long-time hikers won't benefit too much.

The strongest point of Lichter's book is the information he gives on various hiking skills. This info is primarily in the final third ('advanced') section of the book and it includes some solid info on topics like navigation, water crossings etc. There some really good tips and well explained skills here.

To illustrate the difference, Skurka's book discusses WHY a map and compass is better than a GPS and advises on WHICH maps/compasses to use, while Lichter's book will tell you HOW to use the map and compass as it pertains to hiking.

Both books have a mix of awesome photos and generic ones. I'd like to see both authors improve this is future editions. Skurka could use less images that appear to be catalog pics from sponsors, while Lichter would benefit from reducing the number of pictures (20?) of him standing in a store holding up gear. Not a big deal, but these pictures sorta stand out like sore thumbs next to some of the awesome real adventure photos.

Edited by dandydan on 09/03/2012 21:48:47 MDT.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: Lichter's Book on 09/03/2012 21:58:19 MDT Print View

I hate it when I miss those one reply threads.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=65652

Anyone else have an opinion?

Ron Moak
(rmoak) - F
Re: Lichter's Book on 09/04/2012 08:09:20 MDT Print View

Well Ken, if you don't already have a copy of Trail Tested, you should enter our contest and maybe you'll win a signed copy of the book. Details can be found at http://www.sixmoondesigns.com .

Ron