Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Stroopwaffles
Display Avatars Sort By:
christopher smead
(hamsterfish) - MLife

Locale: hamsterfish
Stroopwaffles on 04/25/2012 12:25:53 MDT Print View

Just thought I'd share my new favorite trail food. Stroopwaffles. These are huge in Europe, but only starting to pick up in the US. Stinger makes a version called Stinger Waffles which are basically the same thing.
They are super flat, east to pack, hold up well (don't smash too easy), and pack 160 calories per ounce!
If you sit them on top of a mug filled with coffee, they get all warm and gooey. And since they are so sweet, I pair them with black coffee and no longer need to carry sugar or Splenda.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=stinger%20waffle&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CCAQtwIwAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DIYGHoKM4ttQ&ei=pUCYT-3RF4agiAK735HADw&usg=AFQjCNEXe5ckn-EbDqjf7MBcHe07Z40Y1A&sig2=_MWG9oxYuKUqVQvp1UoQAQ

Laurie Ann March
(Laurie_Ann) - F

Locale: Ontario, Canada
stroopwaffles on 04/25/2012 12:59:23 MDT Print View

Are these Dutch? You can buy something similar here... in the imported foods section.

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Locale: In the shadow of Mt. Rainier
Re: Stroopwaffles on 04/25/2012 13:20:13 MDT Print View

You can find them at Cost Plus World Market stores. As for catching on? I have been eating them for around 20 years or more - but I lived in a town with tons of Dutch descendants....

christopher smead
(hamsterfish) - MLife

Locale: hamsterfish
Yep! on 05/03/2012 00:37:14 MDT Print View

The cost plus versions I think taste great and are more cost efficient. :).
One thing I do enjoy about the stinger version is that there's 3 different flavors (honey, strawberry, and vanilla).

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Re: Yep! on 05/03/2012 09:36:01 MDT Print View

Yum.........Good thing Cost Plus is a 35 mile rt drive for me ;-)Keeps me away!!

Matthew Black
(mtblack) - F
Addictive on 05/03/2012 09:41:33 MDT Print View

Trader Joe's carries a brand. They are often located dangerously close to the checkout lines and tend to hurl themselves into baskets and carts.

Jeffs Eleven
(WoodenWizard) - F

Locale: Greater Mt Tabor
Re: Addictive on 05/03/2012 10:15:04 MDT Print View

Who is gonna make a triple stacked stroopwaffle?

The only thing about them is ya gotta eat three.

"weee weee weeee"
(all the way home)

Paul Magnanti
(PaulMags) - MLife

Locale: People's Republic of Boulder
Stroopwafles on 05/03/2012 10:17:09 MDT Print View

My fiancee' is absolutely addicted to these treats. Her family lives not far from Cologne and Dusseldorf. In her teenage years, she and her good friend would often go to nearby Venlo in the Netherlands for a day trip. Invariably she would gorge on these treats.

When I met her family this past Christmas, we had to take a day trip to Venlo. And sure enough, stroopwafles were bought.

They were tasty for sure, but a bit too sweet for my tastes. My better half with a sweet tooth was about as happy as she could be. :)

(I, OTOH, pine for the my late Grandmother's homemade pizzelle instead :) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pizzelle )

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Re: Addictive on 05/03/2012 10:25:26 MDT Print View

Isn't it amazing how so many products just jump off the shelves into shopping baskets at TJ's? ;-) Hehheh

Steven Paris
(saparisor) - M

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Stroopwaffles on 05/03/2012 10:49:01 MDT Print View

One cold wet NW day, a small container of mini TJ's peanut butter cups jumped into my basket. You can imagine my surprise and indignation.

Matthew Black
(mtblack) - F
ultimate on 05/03/2012 13:35:03 MDT Print View

Stroopwaffles entombed in Nutella then dipped in caramel.

Those peanut butter cups are great, Steven and they sure do move fast when you try to replace them with actual food.