Forum Index » Make Your Own Gear » Just for fun: Cuben Wallet

Display Avatars Sort By:
James Reilly
(zippymorocco) - M

Locale: Montana
Just for fun: Cuben Wallet on 04/24/2012 20:18:07 MDT Print View

Put this together from some scraps to help get some more planning/sewing experience. Not really for the back country but kind of fun.

wallet

David Thomas
(DavidinKenai) - MLife

Locale: North Woods. Far North.
Re: Just for fun: Cuben Wallet on 04/24/2012 23:10:00 MDT Print View

A great practice piece, for sure.

But how much does it weigh?!?

Does a ULer only buy groceries in quantities just below $20, $40, etc, so as to get no small bills and leave only a few cents of change behind? And a SULer, of course does that in increments of $100.

It was striking that over 28 miles in the Grand Canyon 10 days ago, the $20 bill I brought weighed much, much less than the lemonades, powerbars, etc, that it bought at Phantom Ranch.

Justin Baker
(justin_baker) - F

Locale: west coast best coast
Re: Just for fun: Cuben Wallet on 04/24/2012 23:24:04 MDT Print View

That's neat. I want one. My leather wallet is too thick.

James Reilly
(zippymorocco) - M

Locale: Montana
Re: weight on 04/25/2012 00:23:21 MDT Print View

5.3 grams empty
I think credit card is the way to go. Of course you always take the chance of ending up at a place that doesn't take cards.

David, how was phantom ranch?

I have a friend that just came back from phantom ranch. They went down and back out the same day. The interesting thing was that they met a lot of resistance from the park for wanting to do it in a day. They acted like it couldn't be done. They were done by 3pm

Justin,

The hard part about the wallet is having to check to make sure you have it throughout the day. I am use the feeling a thick wallet there.

Edited by zippymorocco on 04/25/2012 07:22:57 MDT.

Michael Levine
(Trout) - F

Locale: Long Beach
Re: Re: Just for fun: Cuben Wallet on 04/25/2012 09:28:10 MDT Print View

Great job! That's a really sweet sewing project that ought to teach someone a lot. I say that because it's interested me to possibly try one.

For those interested and wanting one, Waben makes a sweet one. http://www.goout.hk/2010/05/24/cuben-wallet-waben/ . No affiliation, but I have one and I really like it, very thin which was my big reason for getting one.

Paul Wagner
(balzaccom) - F

Locale: Wine Country
Tyvek Wallet on 04/25/2012 09:33:43 MDT Print View

Now you are really hard core. You can buy a Tyvek wallet from MOMA in NY...The photos on our blog is the superman version, but my daughter bought me the map of Manhattan version---just in case I get lost backpacking in Central Park.

https://sites.google.com/site/backpackthesierra/home/our-blog/forgetreigomoma