Forum Index » Make Your Own Gear » angora rabbit offers LW insulation...

Display Avatars Sort By:
Angela Deppe
(bramblehollow) - F
angora rabbit offers LW insulation... on 02/13/2007 21:37:12 MST Print View

Angora rabbit fur is 7-8 times warmer than wool, and 11-13 microns...it is really never used to make garments on its own because of its excessive warmth. Has anyone out there ever used it? I have an exceptionally kind and prolific bunny whose output just sits in baggies waiting for a purpose...when I read about 'possum fur' garments, my ears had pricked up. From what I remember, there isn't much stretch in the fiber, so it isn't easy to spin, but I have spun some by hand and knitted a square of it for kicks years ago; it was so warm that my hand became uncomfortably warm almost immediately. The downside is that it felts easily.
Any thoughts?

ROBERT TANGEN
(RobertM2S) - M

Locale: Lake Tahoe
Angora rabbit on 02/13/2007 22:34:39 MST Print View

I own, use, and like some long underwear made in Germany from a combination of wool, Angora and synthetic. They were on sale on the Sierra Trading Post site.

Colin Parkinson
(parkinson1963) - F
Re: Angora rabbit on 02/14/2007 19:05:42 MST Print View

I used to use an angora and wool sweater that my mother had in a nice greeny blue for backpacking trips in the early 80's. (I was 13 years old and only 5 foot tall) It was incredibly warm, soft and light however, it had the durabilty of tisue paper. The elbows wore out in only a few trips. I continued to use it until the shoulders wore through. If they could increase the durability this wool would be perfect.