Forum Index » Pre-Trip Planning » Epic road trip! Driving from Alaska to Utah in a truck for four months could use your help planning...

Display Avatars Sort By:
Artia L
(artia) - F

Locale: SoCal
Epic road trip! Driving from Alaska to Utah in a truck for four months could use your help planning... on 04/22/2012 17:30:55 MDT Print View

Fellow Backpackinglight outdoor compadres! I'm going to take a long (epic) road trip with a friend of mine this summer and would love your suggestions! The plan is to buy a truck in Alaska, throw our gear in it, and work our way down from Alaska to Utah. Our schedule is pretty flexible given we'll have a truck and nothing is finalized, but here's what we're thinking. If you have any must-sees we'd love to hear em! We generally like adventures, getting away from crowds, amazing scenery, once-in-a-lifetime experiences, etc. Any tips you guys can offer will go a long way, I promise! (Note: I hope I'm posting this in the right forum!)

Here's the plan:
- June (Alaska)
* Bike the entire park road in Denali Nat'l Park
* Kayak the Savonoski loop in Katmai Nat'l Park
* Hike and kayak in Kenai Fjords Nat'l Park
* Visit Glacier Bay Nat'l Park

- July (British Columbia / Alberta)
* Mountain bike north shore of Vancouver
* Visit Banff Nat'l Park
* Drive through the Icefields highway

- August (Washington / Idaho / Wyoming / Montana)
* Climb Mt Rainier
* Mountain bike in Ketchum, ID
* Backpack Yellowstone Nat'l Park
* Backpack Glacier Nat'l Park

- September (Colorado / Utah)
* Mountain bike all that Colorado has to offer
* Visit Black Canyon of the Gunnison Nat'l Park
* Visit Great Sand Dunes Nat'l Park
* Mountain bike in Moab
* Hike and canyoneer in Arches, Canyonlands, and Capitol Reef Nat'l Parks

We'll be documenting/filming the entire trip so I'll be sure to post this once we're done for you all to see!

Edited by artia on 04/22/2012 17:39:55 MDT.

Raquel Rascal
(flutingaround)

Locale: Rocky Mtn. West
.. on 11/12/2012 19:25:58 MST Print View

How was your trip?