Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
MYOG camelpack bottle
Display Avatars Sort By:
Jake D
(JakeDatc) - F

Locale: Bristol,RI
MYOG camelpack bottle on 04/21/2012 21:20:39 MDT Print View

I wanted to be able to use my powerade bottles with a hydration hose out of my bottle holder pockets on my Osprey Exos. no unpacking the sleeve inside for refilling, no washing the bladder, etc.

1/2" drill bit and it doesn't even leak upside down :)
bottle

Terry Trimble
(socal-nomad) - F

Locale: North San Diego county
MYOG camelpack bottle on 04/22/2012 11:08:13 MDT Print View

Pretty cool bottle mod. The only thing I see wrong is how do you get the liquid in the final 2 inches of the bottle since the interior straw does not extend to about 1/4 inch from the bottom?
Terry

Edited by socal-nomad on 04/22/2012 11:08:47 MDT.

Jake D
(JakeDatc) - F

Re: MYOG camelpack bottle on 04/22/2012 12:48:02 MDT Print View

It was a quick photo. i have pushed the hose further down now so it will reach the bottom.

i am really psyched that the hose was tight enough through the hole to create a seal without anything extra like silicon caulk or something.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: MYOG camelpack bottle on 04/22/2012 12:54:40 MDT Print View

What prevents the bottle from collapsing due to vacuum? The Evernew adapters have a small valve in the lid.

Jake D
(JakeDatc) - F

Re: Re: MYOG camelpack bottle on 04/22/2012 13:04:03 MDT Print View

nothing, though the powerade bottles are pretty stiff so they don't collapse but drinking might get harder? i haven't played with it a whole lot. Maybe drill a small hole and cover it with white athletic tape as a breathable membrane but won't let it splash out?

Daniel Cox
(COHiker) - F

Locale: San Isabel NF
Pressure equalization on 04/22/2012 17:09:20 MDT Print View

I would bet that if you sucked out a bunch of water and created a vacuum eventually the pressure difference would correct itself via the small gap between the hose and cap.

I don't claim to be an engineer, but I've seen my son's baby bottles do the same thing through the *tiny* hole in the slow-feed newborn nipples. They're small enough that the surface tension of the milk won't allow drips more frequently than one every few seconds.