(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Re: Osprey Catching fish on 04/20/2012 13:20:05 MDT Print View

One word. Awesome!

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest/Sierra
WOW!!! on 04/20/2012 17:10:39 MDT Print View

That is one powerful bird. At first I didn't quite trust my eyes when he hauled that salmon out of the water. What a magnificent bird.

Tad Englund
(bestbuilder) - F - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: WOW!!! on 04/20/2012 17:37:06 MDT Print View

I especially liked the way he "surfed" the fish in the air, one leg behind the other.

Jim Colten
(jcolten) - M

Locale: MN
Re: Osprey Catching fish on 04/20/2012 17:48:28 MDT Print View

That's a great video. On the third fish, notice how it worked at shifting it's grip to carry it in a more aerodynamic fore/aft position ... not unusual.

MN and western WI BPLers might enjoy The Raptor Center's spring public release event:
11:00am - 2:00pm, Saturday May 5
Hyland Lake Park Reserve, 10145 Bush Lake Road, Bloomington, MN

In addition to releasing whatever patients that are ready to return to the wild there will be falcons, owls, hawks and bald eagles to be seen up close and personal.

Look for me if you come.

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Re: Re: Osprey Catching fish on 04/20/2012 19:26:14 MDT Print View

"In addition to releasing whatever patients that are ready to return to the wild there will be falcons, owls, hawks and bald eagles to be seen up close and personal."

Warning: Leave your Chihuahuas and Toy Poodles at home.

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Re: Re: WOW!!! on 04/20/2012 19:35:20 MDT Print View

"I especially liked the way he "surfed" the fish in the air, one leg behind the other."

Yes. From beginning to end, I was entranced at watching a creature so completely tuned in to its body. He had to get everything just right in each instance to execute not just the kill, but the getaway. A master of applied physics, if ever there was one.

Jim Colten
(jcolten) - M

Locale: MN
Re: Osprey Catching fish on 04/20/2012 19:56:02 MDT Print View

Warning: Leave your Chihuahuas and Toy Poodles at home.

Pardon my key omission ... no pets of any size, PLEASE. But that's not for the safety of the pets.

The patients that will be released are fully wild birds and tend to "get out of Dodge" as soon as released. It's highly unlikely they'll hunt anywhere near the crowd of large predators the public releases attract (that'll be us).

The other birds are former patients that could not be rehabilitated to 100% functionality. They will be tethered at all times.

Steve Robinson
(Jeannie) - F
osprey catching fish on 04/20/2012 20:49:02 MDT Print View

Thanks!!!!!!

Mike W
(skopeo) - F

Locale: British Columbia
Eagle... on 04/21/2012 01:19:50 MDT Print View

That's an amazing (high quality) video!

Once again, not light weight backpacking but I was out fishing with my son who took this video of a Hungry Eagle

We noticed the Eagle began watching us after we anchored our boat and started fishing. Every time we got a fish on it started to squawk at us.

Edited by skopeo on 04/21/2012 01:21:07 MDT.

Sean Rhoades
(kingpin)

Locale: WV
Re: Eagle... on 05/07/2012 20:31:11 MDT Print View

Haha, so cool. Reminds me of somewhere I read about a guy who was followed around the local lake everytime he fished by a Heron. He occasionally threw the bird a fish or two.