Harris Goldstein
(hmgolds) - F

Locale: Minnesota
Code on 04/20/2012 20:03:51 MDT Print View

Thanks Gerry. Worked like a charm.

Adam Kramer
(rbeard) - F

Locale: ATL, Southern Appalachia
LOL look how many golite reviews from the last few days on 04/20/2012 20:38:42 MDT Print View

i see about 10 of them on the chrome dome alone. i love this kind of stuff, and to be honest, i think golite loves it too. bpl alone must have purchased 50 of those umbrellas over the last two week period...probably about as many as they sold last year.

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Locale: Rockies
Re: LOL look how many golite reviews from the last few days on 04/20/2012 21:26:28 MDT Print View

Like flies on crap.

Nigel Healy
(nigelhealy) - F

Locale: San Francisco bay area
Re: Golite Code? on 04/20/2012 23:15:46 MDT Print View

There's nothing from GoHeavy I want, heavy sleeping bags, heavy tents, I got all the umbrellas and packs I want. The water-bottle hipbelt thingies look interesting at that price but its out of stock. I need some trekking poles but they don't do them. So...

The code from my Chrome Dome review, anyone can have it is below, hope someone benefits from it.

Coupon Code: 5EkTPx

Your coupon expires on 5/20/2012.

Edited by nigelhealy on 04/20/2012 23:16:32 MDT.

Jeff Gerke
(mtnrunner) - M

Locale: Utah
Heavy? on 04/21/2012 16:00:20 MDT Print View

I know some of Golites stuff is pretty heavy. However some of their stuff seems pretty light. I bought the 3 season quilt. It's rated at 20 degrees and weighs 23oz. That seems pretty decent to me. At sub 2 lbs the Jams 50's seem to be pretty decent as well. Their tents all seem heavy though. I'm no expert yet but seems like some of Golite's gear is competitive in the weight category. What would you guys consider light for a 20 degree quilt? And at the price I could not resist.

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Locale: Rockies
Re: Heavy? on 04/21/2012 16:03:41 MDT Print View

This issue with something like the Jam is that it used to weigh 20oz v.s. 2lbs. For a frameless 50L pack, this is a porker. Every year it has added 'stuff.' More padding, wider belt, load lifters (on a frameless pack, hilarious), etc. Next year it will have a frame.

Rick M
(rmjapan) - F

Locale: London, UK
Thank you Golite! on 04/21/2012 16:50:51 MDT Print View

Been very pleased with the Golite Travelite Carry-on I picked up a year ago for $75 so was thrilled I could get another for the wife for even less in this sale after my 20% coupon. Was set on a Montbell Alpine Light down parka too but the Bitterroot for $120 seems like a no brainer as does the Ultralite 3-season quilt. All will serve me well I hope in Norway and Finland this Sept. to see the aurora!

David Drake
(DavidDrake) - F - M

Locale: North Idaho
Re: Heavy? on 04/21/2012 17:08:41 MDT Print View

With the quilts, I think the "heavy" claim is overstated. Similar offerings from others only beat the Golite 3 season by 2-3 oz. (and offer higher build quality, no doubt, but that's another issue).

3 oz may look like something on a spreadsheet, or when trying to break a "magic" number (sub 10#, sub 5#, whatever). But the shift from sleeping bag to quilt or from tent to floorless shaped tarp will pay bigger dividends (assuming conditions allow it).

Seems pretty clear Golite wants to capture more market share than the cottage makers. (Or, alternatively, is cash-strapped and about to go under. Or preparing for the apocalypse. Or something.)

Aaron Croft
(aaronufl) - M

Locale: Alaska
Heavy? on 04/21/2012 19:10:30 MDT Print View

Heavy is relative. All the stuff I've bought from golite (shangri-la, peak, 3 season quilt) has a good mix of durability, comfort, and weight. Not to mention it won't break the bank. To each their own.

Dan Durston
(dandydan) - M

Locale: Cascadia
GoLite on 04/21/2012 19:45:16 MDT Print View

Just placed an order. My wife is getting the W's Bitterroot jacket, which is a great UL item from GoLite. They don't have as much tempting UL stuff as they used to, but there's still some good stuff to had. The quilts are still solid buys considering the price.

K C
(KalebC) - F

Locale: South West
Golite shangri-la vs tarptent notch on 04/21/2012 21:24:05 MDT Print View

I don't see a thread with 183 posts trying to figure out any golite tent. (like the notch) And when is the last time tarptent had a 70% off sale.

( I just can't help to point out someone making fun of a gear company for being heavy, but then uses a 26oz tent, which is heavy in its own right)

Edited by KalebC on 04/21/2012 21:38:04 MDT.

Aaron Croft
(aaronufl) - M

Locale: Alaska
To be fair... on 04/21/2012 21:32:38 MDT Print View

...that thread is pretty ridiculous. I have a tarptent notch and it is quick and simple to setup. 4 stakes and you're done. Not really rocket science.

Conversely, the shangri-la 3 has bit of a learning curve as far as pitch is concerned, but is also a fantastic shelter.

Edited by aaronufl on 04/21/2012 21:33:16 MDT.

Nigel Healy
(nigelhealy) - F

Locale: San Francisco bay area
Re: Golite shangri-la vs tarptent notch on 04/21/2012 21:39:19 MDT Print View

Different focus. The Shangri-la 3 is a lot of space, some like that to simply chill. And look at the price they're selling at..... probably less than $200 using coupon vs Notch $300+ delivered.

As to discussions, the Notch is relatively new and people figuring out is it right for them, Actual owners discussing issues, as said its a very simple design, not rocket science. I erected mine today to seal-seam and its up in a minute or so with little (nothing) to worry about.

Aidan Douglas
(ajaxanon)
If you're not getting the coupon immediately... on 04/21/2012 22:28:02 MDT Print View

You need to make sure that you are logged in. Then submit the review (which will probably be saved from your earlier attempt).

john Tier
(Peter_pan) - M

Locale: Co-Owner Jacks 'R' Better, LLC, VA
Zero wait time on 04/22/2012 07:35:07 MDT Print View

To be clear...The is no delay from your order to shipping time at JRB...Jacks 'R'Better LLC has invested in a full inventory on all of its offerings...We ship same or next business day, includeing orders that include semi custom with work from our available modifications section.

Pan

Neil McGee
(thegreatclod) - F

Locale: Northeast, East Asia
Re: Re: LOL look how many golite reviews from the last few days on 04/22/2012 08:13:18 MDT Print View

"Like flies on crap."

Yeah, we all should be embarrassed. But there is a value here, to my mind. For someone wanting to go from traditional to lw, or even kick the tires toward UL, GoLite offers an inexpensive and reliable path. Purchasing a Jam 50 at 2lbs for $80 (or less) to replace, say, an Osprey 60L pack at 3.5lbs for $180 makes a lot of sense. Most are ignorant of the strict, and often impassioned, UL outlook. If GoLite offers solid products at compelling prices that can convince whole armies of people carrying 40+lbs into the backcountry to lighten up, I'm all for it.

The other value here, as has already been mentioned, is for those with more experience to think less of any problems when "modifying" or "myog-adjusting" an $80 (or less) GoLite pack to a weight more desirable. I'd be much more willing to put a knife to an $80 pack than I would to one I spent twice as much for, even if the latter desperately needed more knifing. Sometimes, when buying from the cottage crew, you're paying more for the convenience of not doing mods you could do yourself.

Me? I'm looking at a Jam 35 to hack at...

Susan Papuga
(veganaloha) - M

Locale: USA
Re: Re: Re: LOL look how many golite reviews from the last few days on 04/22/2012 11:31:04 MDT Print View

Neil,
+1

IMHO, the go heavy comments come across as snide and arrogant whether they are meant to or not. I'm noticing a lot more combative posts on BPL, how, sad!

GoLite makes a quality product at great prices and I can make my own alterations. For many products they are only a few ounces different than cottage goods at 3x the price. Don't get me wrong, I want to someday be SUL, but I am on a budget as well.

Chris Jones
(Christiaan) - F
No code :-( on 04/23/2012 07:04:28 MDT Print View

I don't suppose anyone has a code they could email me...? I posted a review last night, so they may have stopped sending them out?

c h r i s t i a a n _ j o n e s @ hotmail.com

Very much appreciated
CJ

David Wills
(willspower3) - F
Re: Crazy Golite Sale on 04/23/2012 07:38:50 MDT Print View

This is quite the sale. Noticing the use of 'Suggested Retail Price' leads me to believe that permanent significant cuts to their previous prices are in order. A lot of people had questions about what consequences would come from Golite going direct order. I think this is a sign of things to come. Before I read all the "Golite is going out of business [citation needed]" posts, I was pretty sure Golite was making a grab for some serious market share.

It's a fine idea really. If they can regularly have prices similar to this sale, you would be hard pressed to find a newcomer or anyone on a budget who could resist these kind of deals. It would build brand loyalty too. They have a chance to make their company leaner and more efficient than so much (any?) of the competition by combining going online only with their name recognition, marketing experience, and overseas manufacturing. They can undercut everyone from the cottages to REI.

So much UL study happens online now too and I imagine a lot of people don't think twice before purchasing lots of equipment sight unseen. I'de bet the farm that online sales have an upward long term trend vs. in-store sales. Add to that, for every BPL forum member sporting a see thru backpack, they have Andrew Skurka whose successfully used Golite stuff nearly his whole career through some crazy stuff pumping out Nat Geo books, making the news, and going on tours.

Business stuff aside, all the Jam haters on this thread may fail to realize that making a 50L pack out of Dyneema Gridstop is going to weigh a little bit, but be durable. I personally love the thick padding and lust over the huge hipbelt pockets they added to the new one, despite the silly load lifters. Newcomers won't care too much about a few ounces and experienced ULers will gladly trim bits to get closer to cottage weight and save $100+. This was proven by the clearance sale that happened a few months ago and the plethora of Jam hack n' slash threads. The 3 season quilt is a solid performer as well and it has been discussed to death that an UL sleep system is the hardest thing to go cheap on. That's how I ended up with one. 3 ounces wasn't worth $70. They could really rack up some apparel sales. The prices of their stuff in the sale resembles 'utilitarian' gear instead of the fashion oriented prices of old. I would be sold if I was in the market.

I have a nagging question in the back of my head though: was this what Ryan Jordan foresaw when he wrote his Stagnation article?

Link .
(annapurna) - MLife
Re: No code :-( on 04/23/2012 08:18:33 MDT Print View

They are still sending out 20% off coupons for reviews.