Forum Index » GEAR » GoLite Quest Opinions?

Display Avatars Sort By:
Harris Goldstein
(hmgolds) - F

Locale: Minnesota
GoLite Quest Opinions? on 04/17/2012 14:38:27 MDT Print View

Looking for a lightweight backpack, with about 65-70L capacity, for 2-4 day trips. Trying to get to a total pack weight of under 30 lbs (including consumables) without replacing everything I own.

Thinking of the GoLite Men's Quest (72L). The 2011 version is on "clearance" for $80. Looking for opinions. Must of what I seen relates to earlier versions and I'm not sure of what changes have been made. I have read concerns about the side pockets (not a big deal) and hip belt (a bigger deal).

As they say, "inquiring minds want to know".

Thanks in advance.

John Nausieda
(Meander) - MLife

Locale: PNW
Re: GoLite Quest Opinions? on 04/17/2012 14:58:35 MDT Print View

My daughter has one. Nice pack -large. Watch out for the main hipbelt buckle. I read an account of someone breaking their buckle 12 miles in or so . Ouch! I asked Golite for a replacement one and they sent me one free. The one they sent was much stronger .

Edited by Meander on 04/17/2012 14:59:47 MDT.

K C
(KalebC) - F

Locale: South West
RE: Quest on 04/17/2012 15:03:27 MDT Print View

I used a Golite Quest during two trips to Alaska and it worked great. While I wouldn't consider it "lightweight", it does have a big volume and a solid frame for lugging around 30+ lbs. I used it due to the ability to carry a Denali approved bear can, a weeks worth of food, and heavy camera gear. If I had to do it over again I would have used a MLD exodus or a Zimmerbuilt pack (just to save weight) but then your talking $200+

Mark Primack
(Bufa) - MLife

Locale: Cape Cod and Northern Newfoundland
Quest Review on 04/17/2012 15:48:10 MDT Print View

I have had one for two and a half years and used it for around a dozen 4-5 day mountain trips, mostly in winter. At 3lbs too heavy to be considered ultra-light, but not that heavy for a very comfortable, rugged, large capacity pack. When I was younger I loved my Dana Designs Terraplane; now I love my Quest. Got it on sale.

My BPL review: http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/reviews/display_reviews?forum_thread_id=41003&cat=Backpacks%20-%20Internal%20Frame&cid=14

Edited by Bufa on 04/17/2012 15:50:14 MDT.

Harris Goldstein
(hmgolds) - F

Locale: Minnesota
Thanks for the input on 04/17/2012 22:51:10 MDT Print View

Thanks all for the input.

For my purposes, I consider it a light weight pack, though not ultra light. Of course my frame of reference are the external frame packs I used when my kids were in scouts (and my knees were 15+ years younger).

It appears that going any significantly lighter will require much more $ and/or less capacity/weight (which means upgrading much more of my gear).

Paul Hatfield
(clear_blue_skies) - F
Love the Quest on 04/19/2012 14:53:18 MDT Print View

I love my GoLite Quest (2010 - 2011 version). If you check out the backpackinglight internal frame backpack state of the market report, the Quest has a very good weight/volume ratio. My medium weighs 1406 g. In my opinion, it's an absolute steal at $79.

Warren Greer
(WarrenGreer) - F

Locale: SoCal
I've one too on 04/19/2012 22:58:42 MDT Print View

It's probably the 2010-11 model. It carries very well. I had 27-29 lbs. to start my last trip and it was pretty comfortable with a Bear Vault BV500 in it. Most of my gear is pretty small so I had a plenty of room with more available if needed. I just put my sleeping bag in the bottom sans stuff sack so it'll take up some space. I do want to go lighter, no pun intended, but this pack is very comfortable. I do think the only things you'll hear bad about this pack are its weight of three pounds and that it is pretty large. At $79 bucks, its a down-right steal. IMO and YMMV.