Any reason to put a hem around the perimeter of a cuben poncho/ground cloth?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Rusty Beaver
(rustyb) - F

Locale: Rocky Mountains
Any reason to put a hem around the perimeter of a cuben poncho/ground cloth? on 04/17/2012 09:07:54 MDT Print View

Was planning to hem the perimeter of this .75/oz cuben poncho but then asked myself "why". I don't have a ton of experience with cuben but I don't think it's going to fray sans hem. Not doing the hem would save me some sewing time, give me a tiny bit more coverage, and save a minute amount of weight.

I know it would have a more finished look with a hem... and add to the strength should it be used for a tarp.....but it won't be used for a tarp. I would however add small reinforcement patches under the snaps along the sides.

Am I overlooking something?

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
Re: Any reason to put a hem around the perimeter of a cuben poncho/ground cloth? on 04/17/2012 09:38:22 MDT Print View

Did you see Sulk46 video http://www.suluk46.com/RandD%20-%20RD7%20Cuben%20Fiber%20Tarp.html

He hems around the perimeter. Maybe other useful things in that video.

Rusty Beaver
(rustyb) - F

Locale: Rocky Mountains
Re: Re: Any reason to put a hem around the perimeter of a cuben poncho/ground cloth? on 04/18/2012 15:13:16 MDT Print View

Thanks, Jerry. I actually did watch that video not long ago. Not sure that it would apply to my project though...being that I wouldn't be using my poncho as a tarp.

That said, having given this more thought, I think I'll put a thin hem in... if for nothing else, so it's more pleasing to my eye. The reinforced areas would look cleaner too with them tucked under the hem.