FS - Katabatic Piñon Bivy
Display Avatars Sort By:
David Lutz
(davidlutz)

Locale: Bay Area
FS - Katabatic Piñon Bivy on 04/15/2012 20:01:48 MDT Print View

I'm selling my Katabatic Piñon Bivy. Has maybe 20 nights on it. I don't think they make it anymore. Weighs 7 ounces on my scale. $75.00 shipped CONUS.

Here's a write-up off the web:

Piñon Bivy

The Piñon Bivy is a simple, low cost bivy sack designed for use under a tarp or floorless shelter. It features a highly breathable, water resistant Pertex Quantum shell to protect your sleeping bag from mist and spray.  The extra large mesh panel over the head provides excellent ventilation, and the simple draw cord closure keeps the bugs out.  The Piñon Bivy features the highest quality materials and construction, in a package that won’t break the bank.

Specs

Weight: 6.5 ounces
Foot Girth: 54 inches
Shoulder Girth: 76 inches
Shell Material: Pertex Quantum Nano Ripstop .9oz/yd
Floor Material: Silnylon Silicone Impregnated Nylon 1.4oz/yd

Features

• Extra Large Mesh Panel- The extra large mesh panel over your head provides excellent ventilation.
• Bathtub Style Floor- Reduced seams in the floor for increased weather resistance.
• Generous Sizing- Sized to fit a lofty 3+ season bag and full length 20 inch wide air mattress, such as Therm-A-Rest® NeoAir™ or Big Agnes® Air Core.
• Waterproof Silnylon Floor- Lightweight and resilient, the silicone coating impregnates the fabric creating a waterproof fabric that will absorb little moisture.
• Pertex Quantum Upper- This highly breathable, water resistant fabric features a long lasting DWR coating that outperforms and outlasts other DWR treatments.
• Sleeping Pad Attachment Points- Tie your sleeping pad in place through the pad attachment rings to keep it secure in the bivy.
• Integrates with Katabatic Gear Sleeping Bags- The Cord Clip locations on our sleeping bags line up with the pad attachment rings in our bivys.  Tie your pad in place in your bivy, then simply clip your sleeping bag onto the same cords.  
• Full Bug Protection- Full bug protection keeps the creepy crawlies at bay, making the bivy ideal for use under a tarp or floorless shelter.
• Overhead Elastic Hang Loop- Easily suspend the shell fabric off your face.
• Hang Loops in the Corners- Ribbon loops in the corners facilitate drying or allow staking.
• Made in Colorado- We take pride in a quality product made in the USA.

Lester Wang
(lpwang) - MLife
Re: FS - Katabatic Piñon Bivy on 04/15/2012 20:45:10 MDT Print View

Could you post some pictures since it is no longer made?

Thanks,
Lester

Gray Kinnier
(kinnier) - F

Bivy on 04/15/2012 20:55:57 MDT Print View

Hi, What size/length is this. Could you post some actual photos and describe the condition and any wear and tear it has. Thanks

David Lutz
(davidlutz)

"FS - Katabatic Piñon Bivy" on 04/15/2012 21:45:10 MDT Print View

Yeah, I'll post pics and measurements tomorrow night.....

Bob Bankhead
(wandering_bob) - MLife

Locale: Oregon, USA
"FS - Katabatic Piñon Bivy" on 04/15/2012 22:13:27 MDT Print View

If I recall correctly, the defunct Pinon and the current Bristlecone bivys were virtually identical save for the closure.

The Bristlecone zips across the top and part way down one side; the Pinon only zipped across the top.

David Lutz
(davidlutz)

"FS - Katabatic Piñon Bivy" on 04/15/2012 22:22:09 MDT Print View

Very close, Bob.

The Bristlecone zips across the top and partway down one side.

The Piñon has a drawstring closure.

The Piñon is cheaper, lighter, better ventilated and more simple (nothing to break or jam). But it is less convenient to get in and out.

Kiyoshi Young
(kiloloop)
Re: "FS - Katabatic Piñon Bivy" on 04/15/2012 22:59:04 MDT Print View

What color is it?

Cody Dirrigle
(cjdirri) - F
Re: Re: "FS - Katabatic Piñon Bivy" on 04/16/2012 10:14:14 MDT Print View

Just getting into ultralight backpacking and looking for a bivy sack that I won't break the bank, can you email me some pics of it?

David Lutz
(davidlutz)

"FS - Katabatic Piñon Bivy" on 04/16/2012 21:47:09 MDT Print View

Here's a photo. You can see the large mesh area.

Measurements:

7'-6" long

32" wide at the top

22" wide at the bottom

bivy

David Lutz
(davidlutz)

"FS - Katabatic Piñon Bivy" on 04/17/2012 07:48:26 MDT Print View

SPF........

Michael Levine
(Trout) - F

Locale: Long Beach
FS - Katabatic Piñon Bivy on 04/17/2012 07:56:02 MDT Print View

Just posting to say I used one of these all along the John Muir Trail last year and it was a really nice bivy. It definitely kept the skeeters out!

Edited by Trout on 04/17/2012 07:56:46 MDT.