Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
USB rechargeable flashlight / headlamp?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Huzefa Siamwala
(huzefa) - M
USB rechargeable flashlight / headlamp? on 04/15/2012 10:28:49 MDT Print View

I did some research and the only light weight option I can find is Photon Rex with USB charging accessory. Is there anything else?

S Long
(Izeloz) - M

Locale: Wasatch
Re: USB rechargeable flashlight / headlamp? on 04/15/2012 10:37:38 MDT Print View

Petzl Tikka with the Core battery accessory. Black Diamond Sprinter headlamp.

John Nausieda
(Meander) - MLife

Locale: PNW
Re: USB rechargeable flashlight / headlamp? on 04/15/2012 11:13:25 MDT Print View

Watch out for that Photon Rex. Some of the worst reviews I've ever seen on a piece of equipment.

Huzefa Siamwala
(huzefa) - M
Re: Re: USB rechargeable flashlight / headlamp? on 04/15/2012 11:34:51 MDT Print View

Tikka XP with core looks interesting.

Thanks for the warning on Rex.

I currently have an Eos but I want something that I can charge directly from a 5v solar panel. I don't want to carry spare batteries.

Edited by huzefa on 04/15/2012 11:35:25 MDT.

Huzefa Siamwala
(huzefa) - M
Re: Re: Re: USB rechargeable flashlight / headlamp? on 04/15/2012 11:49:03 MDT Print View

Isn't it time for tikka 3?

Mike Oxford
(moxford) - MLife

Locale: Silicon Valley, CA
Re: Re: Re: Re: USB rechargeable flashlight / headlamp? on 04/15/2012 15:47:14 MDT Print View

I have the Tikka w/Core.

It's a USB-battery pack, basically. If you need to, you can remove the Core and use standard batteries.

I love mine.

-mox

Chris Martin
(hope_for_gorilla) - F

Locale: Finger Lakes
USBCELL on 04/15/2012 19:47:21 MDT Print View

You'll get a much wider range of options if you think outside the box a bit:

http://www.amazon.com/USBCELL-AA-Rechargable-Battery-MXAA02/dp/B000LV8YKQ

Amazon claims a weight of 1.6 ounces for a 2-pack, which probably includes packaging. The capacity is a bit lower than standard NiMh AA cells, but that doesn't matter because you'll just plug it into your solar panel or whatever every few days.

You could use one of those with a Zebralight H51 for 3 ounces total. 3.8 if you carry a second spare battery.

Edited by hope_for_gorilla on 04/15/2012 19:58:17 MDT.

Nick C.
(nixie) - F
re: USB rechargeable flashlight / headlamp? on 04/15/2012 20:05:27 MDT Print View

If you don't need a headlamp, there are lots of USB rechargeable lights designed for bicyclists that might fit your needs.

For example, I sometimes use a Cygo‑Lite ExpiliOn as a handheld flashlight for trail runs at night.

http://cygolite.com/

I'm not sure what your total power needs are, but they do make small flashlights with integrated solar panels (the ones I've seen tend to be task lights, not bright beasts like your EOS). Still, they might serve to help simplify your system.

http://www.mec.ca/AST/ShopMEC/HikingCamping/Lighting/Flashlights/PRD~5027-349/solio-clip-mini-solar-flashlight.jsp

(Apologies for the lazy links.)

Mike Oxford
(moxford) - MLife

Locale: Silicon Valley, CA
Weight on 04/15/2012 20:34:31 MDT Print View

Tikka w/Core is 3.1oz on my scale (headband w/whistle included :P ) You can remove the headlamp/battery from the headband receiver if you want.

Tikka charges a single battery in 3 hours; those AAs are 5 hours EACH.

-mox

Ted E
(Mtn_nut) - MLife

Locale: Morrison, CO
Core headlamp on 04/15/2012 22:21:49 MDT Print View

i have a tikka xp core, and its really nice with the USB cable and the Core OS software from petzl to regulate the output.

if your interested in buying one, im probably going to put mine up for sale, so PM me. i find that i use my mammut headlamp more with rechargeable AAA's.

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Locale: The Great Lakes Bay Region
Re: USB rechargeable flashlight / headlamp? on 04/16/2012 15:48:30 MDT Print View

Hi,

The Led Lenser H7R can be charged via USB or use AAA batteries.

Its my head lamp of choice.

Huzefa Siamwala
(huzefa) - M
Thinking outside the box. on 11/26/2012 08:44:51 MST Print View

Chris brings up a good suggestion above. But I think I have found a much better solution which I wanted to share with all of you,

USBCELL is very inefficient. Li-ion is much better but the question is how to charge it via USB. Presenting the world's smallest and lightest li ion charger:

http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?240304-gt-FS-Cottonpickers-Chargers-incl-Worlds-smallest-Li-ion-charger-with-display

Charger

This opens up a lot of options. There are many awesome lights that work with li-ions, such as zebralight H31. I like this better then tikka Core.