Forum Index » GEAR » Longterm durability of Enlightened Equipment Revelation X quilt?

Display Avatars Sort By:
Jon Leibowitz
(jleeb) - F - MLife

Locale: 4Corners
Longterm durability of Enlightened Equipment Revelation X quilt? on 04/15/2012 08:54:13 MDT Print View

I'm thinking of picking up a Revaluation X 20 degree. It is incredibly affordable because as they say, they use "second quality ripstop nylon" to keep the price down. Now I take good care of my gear and they are a respectable company, so I'm not too worried - but I'm just wondering if there is anyone from the community here that has had one of these for a long time and can vouch for its durability and build quality.

Thanks!

Matthew Perry
(bigfoot2) - F

Locale: Oregon
Longterm durability of Enlightened Equipment Revelation X quilt? on 04/15/2012 10:35:32 MDT Print View

I've owned several of Tim's quilts over the years, and the oldest, at 5 plus years, is still going strong with no issues at all. You can't go wrong with his stuff.

Jon Leibowitz
(jleeb) - F - MLife

Re: Longterm durability of Enlightened Equipment Revelation X quilt? on 04/15/2012 11:56:45 MDT Print View

Thanks for your input. The price/weight/fill almost seem too good to be true, but it's good to hear from someone with longterm use. Have you ever purchased any the quilts that use the cheaper material?

Stephan Doyle
(StephanCal)
Re: Longterm durability of Enlightened Equipment Revelation X quilt? on 04/15/2012 20:38:45 MDT Print View

The seconds Tim uses are cosmetic seconds. That is, they have some stray marks or such on them. If the material construction was compromised, it wouldn't have left the mill.

If you're THAT concerned, the prices on the Revelation line are not significantly more expensive and still much cheaper than comparable products.

Scott Simcox
(Simco) - F

Locale: Nashville
Re: Longterm durability of Enlightened Equipment Revelation X quilt? on 04/16/2012 01:01:14 MDT Print View

I've only heard good things.

Do a search on here for a ton of reviews.

Kevin Ridge
(Dblcorona)

Locale: Southeast MI
cosmetic seconds on 04/16/2012 07:36:13 MDT Print View

I've used the same material he uses for the quilt. It had 2 lines running the length of the fabric. No problem at all with the quality of the fabric.

Jon Leibowitz
(jleeb) - F - MLife

Thanks! on 04/16/2012 12:29:28 MDT Print View

Thanks everyone. I am going to pick one of these up soon. Can't wait!

Diane Pinkers
(dipink) - M

Locale: Western Washington
compressing the down on 05/13/2012 10:41:02 MDT Print View

Could someone who has one of these quilts comment on compressing them into a stuff sack? I forgot to ask Tim when I ordered my quilt if anything about the Karo Step Baffles, and the fact you can move the down around, makes it undesirable to stuff them into a sack instead of packing "like a cloud" into the backpack. I've never had a bag where you could appreciably move the down around (at least that I know of, I've never tried!)

Tim Marshall
(MarshLaw303) - MLife

Locale: Minnesota
Re: compressing the down on 05/13/2012 11:16:26 MDT Print View

Stuff away. May have to redistribute a little after unpacking but that is easy.

-Tim

Diane Pinkers
(dipink) - M

Locale: Western Washington
Thanks! on 05/13/2012 11:47:45 MDT Print View

Thanks, Tim! I use a front-loading pack, so a pack liner is not convenient, and I carry everything in stuff sacks for protection here in the rainy PNW. I don't compress my bag to the max, but still, it's good to know that mashing it won't mess it up.

Aubrey Biscoe
(aubotho@gmail.com)

Locale: Upper Midwest
MAX compression, stuffed on 10/09/2012 19:35:03 MDT Print View

speaking on that, the stuff sack thing i mean. any issues with MAX compression for no longer than 12 hours a day, for, say, up to 7-10 days in a row. have no issue redistributing, of course.

-future RevX owner

(or maybe i should say UP TO 12 hours a day.

Edited by aubotho@gmail.com on 10/09/2012 19:38:44 MDT.

M B
(livingontheroad) - M
quilt on 10/09/2012 20:09:40 MDT Print View

my 40F with overstuff will compress easily to about 1/3 of my zpacks large drybag. (590 cu in)

A medium or slim zpacks cuben drybag, 0.6 oz would be perfect for it for packing small. Anything more would be unneccessary wt.

It quickly springs back to life., in seconds literally. Very well sewn.

Cannot recommend Tims quilts highly enough. I have my eye on a couple more.

From what I can tell, the quality of the down is superior to my WM bag. WM down is 90/10 down feathers , as are most high quality down items, just check the label. I have pulled several feathers that poke thru back in.

Holding my quilt up to light I can see thru it, and I dont see any feathers, nor do I feel them, or have ever had ANYTHING poke thru. OK, maybe I do see a few feathers when I look close, but they are really small, 1/2"~1" and very few. Far less than 10% for sure. maybe 1%

Edited by livingontheroad on 10/09/2012 21:30:58 MDT.