Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Saw the xtherm @ REI
Display Avatars Sort By:
Alex Gilman
(Vertigo) - F

Locale: Washington
Saw the xtherm @ REI on 04/14/2012 19:19:34 MDT Print View

I was at REI in Seattle this morning. Picked up a Plasma 15. Then looked around a bit and found it! Can't really review it since I didn't buy it and use it. I can say it was still just as crinkly as the xlite. It felt like it had more material inside. The silver color was pretty muted looking so that was nice. It wasn't all space blanket shiny.

It felt just like the xlite so I wasn't impressed enough to buy it on the spot. I'm sure I'll get it before I do my Wonderland Trail trip.

Mary D
(hikinggranny) - MLife

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge
REI also has the Exped Downmat UL7... on 04/14/2012 20:06:55 MDT Print View

...on their website. Or at least it was there this morning. One more day for the 20% coupon! No size X-S, though.

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: REI also has the Exped Downmat UL7... on 04/15/2012 12:23:22 MDT Print View

Bought the Downmat UL7, regular size, yesterday at REI with my dividend and 20 percent off. Haven't even opened the package yet as it's past winter here (whatever winter we actually got.....).

Todd Copeland
(tcope) - F
Re: Re: REI also has the Exped Downmat UL7... on 04/16/2012 10:38:38 MDT Print View

Yup, I bought one yesterday. I was in REI to buy the SynMat UL as I wanted a lighter pad. I _really_ wanted the Downmat UL but REI told me they would nto have them until 4/20, after the 20% off sale. I went to the register with the SynMat but they could not remove the security device. So I drove up to their other local location. Thanks goodness... as they had the Downmat UL! It's 4 ounces more then the SynMat but I liked that it came with the external pump bag (I would have bought that for the SynMat) and the R value is through the roof.

As it has an external pump, is light(er... then my other mat) and has a great R value, it will probably end up being my go to mat I'll take on most every trip. I usualyl take a tarp and soda can stove but I don't mind the extra weight when it comes to my bag and pad if it means comfort.

Exped has done a great job with this pad. It's (fairly) light but still has a great R value. I hate hiking miles above 9000 feet and then having to manually blow up a pad. With the pump bad this is now no problem at all! As I've rad, the pump bag is only 1.4 ounces (I really think it might be less then that). It also can serve as a dry bag if needed. Throw some clothing in it just in case and it serves a dual purpose.

My (terrible) quick inside demo of the pad:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2R5VuLOJKA