Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Old external frame packs. What do you do with them?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Elizabeth Tracy
(mariposa) - M

Locale: Outside
Old external frame packs. What do you do with them? on 04/12/2012 18:45:25 MDT Print View

Where does a person attempt to give away old, large, external frame packs?
Scouts, maybe? - but they look too big for anyone under age 14 or so.
- Elizabeth

John Nausieda
(Meander) - MLife

Locale: PNW
Re: Old external frame packs. What do you do with them? on 04/12/2012 18:49:22 MDT Print View

I'd look at ebay if you can I.D. your frame. Some are still very useful;some rare.There is always Goodwill or the Salvation Army. I'm sure others will suggest the Scouts too.

David Drake
(DavidDrake) - F - M

Locale: North Idaho
Re: Old external frame packs. What do you do with them? on 04/12/2012 18:50:29 MDT Print View

What kind of pack? I had a K2 Shortbed (Dana Design) that I sold on gear swap for $125. Some of the old packs are collectable.

Andy F
(AndyF) - M

Locale: Midwest/Midatlantic
Re: Old external frame packs. What do you do with them? on 04/12/2012 18:50:54 MDT Print View

Traditional backpacking forums? :D

d k
(dkramalc) - MLife
Re: Old external frame packs. What do you do with them? on 04/12/2012 18:54:45 MDT Print View

If there's a chapter near you...Sierra Club Inner City Outings?

http://www.sierraclub.org/ico/

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Re: Old external frame packs. What do you do with them? on 04/12/2012 19:57:14 MDT Print View

Keep using them for a once in a while nostalgia trip :)

They are great if you need to carry 3 gallons of water across the desert too.

If they are really old, you might be able to sell it on eBay?

Jace Mullen
(climberslacker) - F

Locale: Your guess is as good as mine.
Old External fram packs on 04/12/2012 20:17:40 MDT Print View

I know that they get used pretty often on trail crews.

Sometimes you need to carry 80lbs of lumber into the backcountry. Or a bunch of tools. Lots of heavy stuff is used in trail construction.

Brian UL
(MAYNARD76)

Locale: New England
Re: Old external frame packs. What do you do with them? on 04/12/2012 20:38:11 MDT Print View

Hold on to them until they come back in fashion.

Will Webster
(WillWeb) - M
Heavy loads on 04/12/2012 21:11:55 MDT Print View

Agree on trail crews. I use an ancient external frame pack to carry my chainsaw up the hill for trail maintenance.

USA Duane Hall
(hikerduane) - F

Locale: Extreme northern Sierra Nevada
Wish I would of kept it on 04/12/2012 21:39:07 MDT Print View

I gave away my Camp Trails pack I got in the early '70's. I would like to have it now for a nostalgia, retro gear trip.
Duane

Justin Baker
(justin_baker) - F

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA
Re: Old external frame packs. What do you do with them? on 04/12/2012 21:54:33 MDT Print View

Use it to haul stuff, not for backpacking but just as a work horse. Install a shelf and rope some firewood to it, go gather trash and lash the trashbags to the frame. If you are a hunter, use them to pack out meat.
And use them in winter when you want to carry extra heavy loads for camp comfort (large tent, wood stove, ect.)

Daryl and Daryl
(lyrad1) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth
Carry Groceries on 04/13/2012 07:56:42 MDT Print View

Walk to the grocery store and carry groceries home in them.

Ty Ty
(TylerD)

Locale: SE US
ebay on 04/13/2012 08:14:45 MDT Print View

I sold mine on ebay.

Plan to pack them yourself in a flat, mirror type box. If you go to the UPS store they will tell you the only way to do it is in a huge box that will measure higher volume and ship like a 80-90lb package costing a hundred or more dollars. Instead I put it in a flat type box like you would package a picture or mirror, input the measurements and weight and they shipped for about $25 bucks from GA to CA. Bot my packs were aluminum frame Gregory packs, over a decade old and sold for around $100 bucks each plus shipping.

Erik Basil
(EBasil) - M

Locale: Atzlan
If you want to donate them... on 04/13/2012 09:49:09 MDT Print View

Please do contact your local Boy Scout "District" or "Council" office: many of them offer a beginning backpacking course (where they do go over UL practices and goals) and for which they like to offer loaner backpacks so that participants can hike before buying. Even adult-sized leaders can benefit from your old pack!