Forum Index » GEAR » Old external frame packs. What do you do with them?

Display Avatars Sort By:
Elizabeth Tracy
(mariposa) - M

Locale: Outside
Old external frame packs. What do you do with them? on 04/12/2012 18:45:25 MDT Print View

Where does a person attempt to give away old, large, external frame packs?
Scouts, maybe? - but they look too big for anyone under age 14 or so.
- Elizabeth

John Nausieda
(Meander) - MLife

Locale: PNW
Re: Old external frame packs. What do you do with them? on 04/12/2012 18:49:22 MDT Print View

I'd look at ebay if you can I.D. your frame. Some are still very useful;some rare.There is always Goodwill or the Salvation Army. I'm sure others will suggest the Scouts too.

David Drake
(DavidDrake) - F - M

Locale: North Idaho
Re: Old external frame packs. What do you do with them? on 04/12/2012 18:50:29 MDT Print View

What kind of pack? I had a K2 Shortbed (Dana Design) that I sold on gear swap for $125. Some of the old packs are collectable.

Andy F
(AndyF) - M

Locale: Midwest/Midatlantic
Re: Old external frame packs. What do you do with them? on 04/12/2012 18:50:54 MDT Print View

Traditional backpacking forums? :D

d k
(dkramalc) - MLife
Re: Old external frame packs. What do you do with them? on 04/12/2012 18:54:45 MDT Print View

If there's a chapter near you...Sierra Club Inner City Outings?

http://www.sierraclub.org/ico/

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Re: Old external frame packs. What do you do with them? on 04/12/2012 19:57:14 MDT Print View

Keep using them for a once in a while nostalgia trip :)

They are great if you need to carry 3 gallons of water across the desert too.

If they are really old, you might be able to sell it on eBay?

Jace Mullen
(climberslacker) - F

Locale: Your guess is as good as mine.
Old External fram packs on 04/12/2012 20:17:40 MDT Print View

I know that they get used pretty often on trail crews.

Sometimes you need to carry 80lbs of lumber into the backcountry. Or a bunch of tools. Lots of heavy stuff is used in trail construction.

Brian UL
(MAYNARD76)

Locale: New England
Re: Old external frame packs. What do you do with them? on 04/12/2012 20:38:11 MDT Print View

Hold on to them until they come back in fashion.

Will Webster
(WillWeb) - M
Heavy loads on 04/12/2012 21:11:55 MDT Print View

Agree on trail crews. I use an ancient external frame pack to carry my chainsaw up the hill for trail maintenance.

USA Duane Hall
(hikerduane) - F

Locale: Extreme northern Sierra Nevada
Wish I would of kept it on 04/12/2012 21:39:07 MDT Print View

I gave away my Camp Trails pack I got in the early '70's. I would like to have it now for a nostalgia, retro gear trip.
Duane

Justin Baker
(justin_baker) - F

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA
Re: Old external frame packs. What do you do with them? on 04/12/2012 21:54:33 MDT Print View

Use it to haul stuff, not for backpacking but just as a work horse. Install a shelf and rope some firewood to it, go gather trash and lash the trashbags to the frame. If you are a hunter, use them to pack out meat.
And use them in winter when you want to carry extra heavy loads for camp comfort (large tent, wood stove, ect.)

Daryl Daryl
(lyrad1) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth
Carry Groceries on 04/13/2012 07:56:42 MDT Print View

Walk to the grocery store and carry groceries home in them.

Ty Ty
(TylerD)

Locale: SE US
ebay on 04/13/2012 08:14:45 MDT Print View

I sold mine on ebay.

Plan to pack them yourself in a flat, mirror type box. If you go to the UPS store they will tell you the only way to do it is in a huge box that will measure higher volume and ship like a 80-90lb package costing a hundred or more dollars. Instead I put it in a flat type box like you would package a picture or mirror, input the measurements and weight and they shipped for about $25 bucks from GA to CA. Bot my packs were aluminum frame Gregory packs, over a decade old and sold for around $100 bucks each plus shipping.

Erik Basil
(EBasil) - M

Locale: Atzlan
If you want to donate them... on 04/13/2012 09:49:09 MDT Print View

Please do contact your local Boy Scout "District" or "Council" office: many of them offer a beginning backpacking course (where they do go over UL practices and goals) and for which they like to offer loaner backpacks so that participants can hike before buying. Even adult-sized leaders can benefit from your old pack!