Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Marking cuben fiber.
Display Avatars Sort By:
James Reilly
(zippymorocco) - M

Locale: Montana
Marking cuben fiber. on 04/12/2012 13:12:00 MDT Print View

What are people using to mark out patterns on cuben fiber? I find that normal marking tools don't show up well and sharpie is hard to remove. Am I missing something? Thanks

Tim Marshall
(MarshLaw303) - MLife

Locale: Minnesota
Re: Marking cuben fiber. on 04/12/2012 14:41:57 MDT Print View

BIC pens work great. they leave a thin line but you have to get it flowing good first and dont pull it across the fabric glide it.

-Tim

Jeffrey Stylos
(jsstylos)

Locale: Northeast
Colored pencils work OK, not great on 04/12/2012 15:02:40 MDT Print View

I've been using a colored pencil, which doesn't work nearly as well on cuben as on nylon (it's hard to see), but at least it's easy to remove. I'd love to find something else that was highly visible and easy to remove. Whiteboard markers maybe?

Javan Dempsey
(jdempsey)

Locale: The-Stateless-Society
Re: Marking cuben fiber. on 04/12/2012 15:37:47 MDT Print View

Try using alcohol to remove sharpie marks. Otherwise, you can use painters tape to layout lines. You can even use a piece of it to write notes or etc on.

Gary Dunckel
(Zia-Grill-Guy) - MLife

Locale: Boulder
Whiteboard markers on 04/12/2012 15:40:47 MDT Print View

I use whiteboard markers to make marks on titanium rods for bending my Zia grills and pot supports. It comes off easily, so you have to be careful not to smear it with your fingers. Alcohol will completely remove it.

James Reilly
(zippymorocco) - M

Locale: Montana
Things I have tried on 04/12/2012 17:35:58 MDT Print View

I have tried sharpie with alcohol removal which works ok except when you forget to remove it before bonding/sewing it. Color pencil was works ok too. I haven't tried bic yet but will give it a try. The pencils made for fabric are of no use at all. I wonder about the fabric markers they sell at the fabric store? Anyone try those?

Tim Marshall
(MarshLaw303) - MLife

Locale: Minnesota
Re: Things I have tried on 04/13/2012 12:17:09 MDT Print View

The bic won't come off though just is a very fine line do if you cut on it you won't see it anymore same if you see over it. You can still see it but it gets lost if you bond other cuben against the line. On white it shows we on black it can be *fun* to find and easy to confuse with the black lines in the material.

-Tim