Bic Mini vs. Bic Mini electric
Display Avatars Sort By:
K C
(KalebC) - F

Locale: South West
Bic Mini vs. Bic Mini electric on 04/09/2012 13:42:21 MDT Print View

I did a test today, the classic Bic mini vs. a Bic mini Electric. The Bic mini weighs 0.4oz, the Bic mini electric weighs 0.5oz. I placed them both in water for about 5 min. I timed how long it took to get a flame. The classic Bic mini took about 32 seconds to get a flame after I shook it off and blew some water off it, it took several tries, after the first light, it would only light about every other 4 flicks. The Bic mini Electric lit after 5 seconds of drying, and lit first try and every try after. The Bic mini Electric looks like it may hold more fuel too. I think I may add the mini electric version to my kit instead of the classic mini.

bic

bic2

Edited by KalebC on 04/09/2012 16:25:01 MDT.

Luke Khuu
(ninhsavestheday)
Electric on 04/09/2012 13:56:11 MDT Print View

The electric one is also eaiser to light when its cold.

Colin Krusor
(ckrusor) - M

Locale: Northwest US
Test on 04/09/2012 14:08:49 MDT Print View

Kaleb, thanks for doing this test. I have wondered about the mini electrics as an alternative to the mini for some time, and it was concerns about reliability that caused me to hesitate. Thanks.

Eric Blumensaadt
(Danepacker) - MLife

Locale: Mojave Desert
Good on 04/09/2012 15:22:51 MDT Print View

Thanks for the info. You might try another few tests to see if the initial results are repeatable.

BTW, it would be nice if Bic made this lighter with a sealable fip cap.

Edited by Danepacker on 04/09/2012 15:23:48 MDT.

Tim Zen
(asdzxc57) - F

Locale: MI
Re: Bic Mini vs. Bic Mini electric on 04/09/2012 15:35:57 MDT Print View

Is is peizo?

Roger Dodger
(RogerDodger) - F

Locale: Wess Siide
Re: Bic Mini vs. Bic Mini electric on 04/09/2012 15:38:29 MDT Print View

very interesting.

I generally favor low-tech over high-tech, but I try to be open minded when I'm not stubborn and on a rant.

How about another test of putting the 2 lighters in the fridge of 5 mins, then try lighting, also, 5 mins in the freezer.

My main concern is "electric bic" means battery powered. I don't smoke so I'm rarely around lighters. I worry that I stash it my emergency gear kit, and on a freezing day when everything Murphy's Law goes wrong, the battery would let me down.

K C
(KalebC) - F

RE: Freeze Test on 04/09/2012 16:39:40 MDT Print View

The electric Bic has a piezo, I'm not a smoker but use lighters for myog projects, and in my kit of course.

So I just ran them under the faucet for 1 min and put them in the freezer for 10min. I am very surprised to report that the mini electric Bic fired up after 10sec ! As I am writing this, the classic mini Bic still won't work after 10min, no spark from the flint.

We have a winner

Edited by KalebC on 04/09/2012 16:40:43 MDT.

John S.
(jshann) - F
Re: Re: Bic Mini vs. Bic Mini electric on 04/09/2012 16:40:23 MDT Print View

I think it has to be piezo. Does it keep working at altitude? I can't remember at what altitude they begin having problems or if I read wrong ; ).

Ken K
(TheFatBoy) - F

Locale: St. Louis
Wow! Good to know! on 04/09/2012 16:56:21 MDT Print View

I'm surprised it worked out this way... Good to know! I have avoided the electrics because I (apparently mistakenly) thought they would be more likely to fail in these situations. Guess I'll be picking up a couple as my existing stash runs out.

Thanks for doing these tests and posting back here!

Konrad .
(Konrad1013) - MLife
cool! on 04/09/2012 17:03:29 MDT Print View

Whoa, I didn't even know these electric mini bics existed. Where can you get one? Gas stations? Walmarts? etc?

Piezo's haven't worked well for me at elevation either, so I guess I would bring an electric bic, and maybe a few matches as backup.

Tim Zen
(asdzxc57) - F

Re: RE: Freeze Test on 04/09/2012 17:24:55 MDT Print View

How about wind proof. The butane lighters have a glow wire to relight them. How does the bic handle a breeze?

Thanks for posting too.

(stupid phone spell checker)

Edited by asdzxc57 on 04/09/2012 18:42:27 MDT.

K C
(KalebC) - F

RE: Bic mini electric on 04/09/2012 17:27:34 MDT Print View

I didn't know the Bic Mini electric existed either. I was in line at the grocery store and saw a "New" sign that caught my attention, it's was at Von's. I had a few mini Bic lighters that completely failed during fire making when I went camping in a snowstorm about a month ago, so I thought I should give these a try. Glad I could stumble across something that can help out the BPL crowd.

David Vo
(sygyzy)
Re: Bic Mini vs. Bic Mini electric on 04/09/2012 18:10:33 MDT Print View

This might be a dumb question but in my defense, I have never smoked so buying lighters is not my forte. Where can you find these lighters? Would a regular supermarket carry them?

Colin Krusor
(ckrusor) - M

Locale: Northwest US
Mini Bic Electric on 04/09/2012 18:23:13 MDT Print View

I just bought five of the electric (piezo) mini bics on ebay for $10. I guess that price is a bit higher than I expected, but not exorbitant.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: Re: Bic Mini vs. Bic Mini electric on 04/09/2012 18:24:05 MDT Print View

I've never found a very good selection of lighters at my regular supermarket. When I needed a Bic Mini, I had to go find a smoke shop.

--B.G.--

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: Bic Mini vs. Bic Mini electric on 04/09/2012 19:00:15 MDT Print View

Walgreens and Sav On would likely have them as well.

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Re: Bic Mini vs. Bic Mini electric on 04/09/2012 19:52:56 MDT Print View

That electric BIC is a nice find. Have to play around with one. I bet it makes it a lot easier to light Esbit tabs... and maybe use less butane to do it.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: Re: Bic Mini vs. Bic Mini electric on 04/09/2012 20:10:19 MDT Print View

"That electric BIC is a nice find. Have to play around with one. I bet it makes it a lot easier to light Esbit tabs... and maybe use less butane to do it."

How so?

--B.G.--

Tim Zen
(asdzxc57) - F

Re: Re: Bic Mini vs. Bic Mini electric on 04/09/2012 20:11:03 MDT Print View

Suprised hiking Jim has not tested one yet.

I did try a butane refillable, but it was unreliable. I am on the hunt tomorrow.

Have to bring one to the GGG/Iowahhhhh

K C
(KalebC) - F

RE: works better on 04/09/2012 20:18:33 MDT Print View

When you are trying to get a cold/wet lighter to flame, and it isn't working, such as the 30 flicks the mini classic Bic I was testing-it was wasting fuel, I could hear it. Having a lighter flame first try makes every fire making scenario better, faster, and more efficient.