Forum Index » GEAR » Is it rude to fill a wedding registry with backpacking gear?

Display Avatars Sort By:
Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: Is it rude to fill a wedding registry with backpacking gear? on 04/10/2012 10:22:38 MDT Print View

We should all chip in and send the couple an REI gift card just to press the point :)

Paul Magnanti
(PaulMags) - MLife

Locale: People's Republic of Boulder
Er, um, ah on 04/10/2012 11:04:23 MDT Print View

>>This, to me, is what marriage and wedding gifts are about...the new home that is >>created when two people join in marriage.

What if two people are already in a current home and have that nice mattress you mentioned?

I doubt there will $350 gifts from my relatives. You want to adopt me by any chance??? A bit more modest of a background it seems in my family. ;) As mentioned, I never even heard of wedding registry until a I was about 30.

In fairness, I think a registry makes more sense if you are young couple who are just starting out. We are both 37 and don't really need anything. And to reverse your numbers, my parents will know perhaps (at best) 10% of the people there.

Finally, I don't think a wedding and a marriage is a about gifts at all. It is about celebrating the start of a new stage in our lives and sharing it with

Guess I will be iconoclastic, not have a registry (or rather being traditional perhaps, really), and know people are already looking forward to a low key affair that does not involves gifts. I know because we went to a similar wedding in Crested Butte and had a blast. But it was a bunch of hiker trash...so who knows. :D

Ty Ty
(TylerD)

Locale: SE US
Alternative... on 04/10/2012 11:05:19 MDT Print View

Let me ask ya'll this...

If my wife and I were into race cars, would it be appropriate to register at Summit Racing and get car parts, helmets, and tires for our wedding?

What if we are both into fishing, okay to register at Bass Pro Shops?

How about if we are into Harley's and we want a chromed out exhaust, leather chaps, and air filters for our bikes?

Paul Magnanti
(PaulMags) - MLife

Locale: People's Republic of Boulder
Heck yeah! on 04/10/2012 11:09:28 MDT Print View

Heck yeah!

That sounds awesome actually.

But, we in Colorado are weird. Almost every wedding I've been to out here, people ARE registered at REI. I kid you not.

D@mn, I'd love to see one of those three things.

Great idea!

"Our hobbies" are actually a major part of our lives. It is how we met, why we moved to Colorado, and how we are planning the next stage in our careers (we want to work less so we can be outside more).

So, if I was Harley rider, why not?

Best idea I've heard for a registry yet. Very cool!

Edited by PaulMags on 04/10/2012 11:12:54 MDT.

P. Larson
(reacttocontact) - F
Re: Heck yeah! on 04/10/2012 11:17:09 MDT Print View

Didn't this registry thing start way back when people got married right out of high school? When the married couple used to live with their parents and owned nothing?

Hell, the last thing I need is another blender, toaster, a set of flat wear, forks, spoons, plates, and no, I don't need a stinking huge bowl. I don't care that it's made of crystal. I'm not a materialistic person and I don't need that garbage.

BTW...if I am ever invited to any of your weddings and you register at one of those places, expect an American Express gift card. =)

The last wedding I went to, the couple asked for either trip credits for their honeymoon cruise so they could do a few of the activities or REI gift cards because they were torn between buying 2 different bigger items.

Ty Ty
(TylerD)

Re: Er, um, ah on 04/10/2012 11:19:12 MDT Print View

Paul - Yes $350 would be a nice gift, only got a couple of those from close relatives.

I agree your wedding is different. I assumed since Logan said both parents were against it, that he is concerned with what his folks think, and he looks kind of younger in the profile picture that his folks are probably more involved, I assumed possible having the more traditional family wedding where the guest list would be mostly family, family friends, that sort of thing. Maybe I am assuming too much.

I didn't say marriage is about gifts, I said marriage is about the formation of a new home...hence the reason why wedding gifts have traditionally always been gifts for the new home not just buying them things that fit their fancy or outfitting them for their favorite hobby. I guess that is my point, it is not supposed to be about gifts per say (although a lot of it has turned into that) it started from the family and friends wanting to help the new couple create a comfortable home.

I agree with your suggestion that weddings should be low key. In my opinion weddings should be at home and gifts should be a potluck dish to add to the food table.

Art ...
(asandh) - F
Re: Is it rude to fill a wedding registry with backpacking gear? on 04/10/2012 11:27:40 MDT Print View

hmmm ?
3 pages about a wedding registry ?
on BPL ?
weddings should be small (anyone can get married).
25 year anniversaries should be big (not everyone can do this).

Dutch Anderson
(Silveradodutchman) - F

Locale: Central Florida
wedding registry on 04/10/2012 12:13:39 MDT Print View

My daughter did just that. REI and all. She and her hubby really stocked up on needed supplies for their recreational life. It's all about what you are about. They ain't the china and crystal type.

Ty Ty
(TylerD)

Wife set me straight... on 04/10/2012 19:06:57 MDT Print View

HA! So went for a job/walk with my wife tonight and asked her, she says registering at places like REI is appropriate and common. She said she agrees it is not traditional but that everybody does it these days and it is no big deal so I stand corrected. She said if the parents object for the wedding you could have a 'Camping Shower' sort of deal where your closer friends and family did the camping stuff then for the main wedding you stick with the traditional registry. She reminded me that I had a tool shower thrown for me which I had not forgotten about, in my opinion though that is for the home since the tools are used 99% of the time fixing stuff around the house but I guess that could be argued either way.

However, I am not giving up my opinion that this is not inline with the original idea of helping the new couple build their home together. But that is my opinion, apparently most people don't agree with me.