Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Old school ultralight hiker here...help me update my gear!
Display Avatars Sort By:
M G
(drown) - F - MLife

Locale: Shenandoah
Re: Old school ultralight hiker here...help me update my gear! on 04/16/2013 19:35:49 MDT Print View

Very similar setup here that I have been updating.

1. invest in a new sleeping bag or quilt with a temperature raiting optimized to the kind of trips you do.
2. Upgrade the sil shelter to a cuben tarp. Or if you like the Silshelter you might consider an MLD trailstar in Cuben. I think it's a superior design but only 4 oz weight saving at a very steep price.
3. Upgrade the stakes.
4 if you like the petlz, you can upgrade to newer lighter zipka with more lumens.or as suggested change to lighter light altogether.
5. CF poles .

Monty Montana
(TarasBulba) - MLife

Locale: Rocky Mountains
New: Convertable Pants on 04/24/2013 17:13:32 MDT Print View

Hi Scott!

I'd ditch the convertible pants idea, as the lightest will weigh about 12 oz. Instead, go with lightweight running shorts with built-in mesh briefs & 8" inseam. Mine, from Brooks, weigh less than 4 oz. Pair the shorts with 2.7 oz wind pants from Montbell and you'll have the lightest possible arrangement short of going totally commando.

Happy Trails!

Marko Botsaris
(millonas) - F - MLife

Locale: Santa Cruz Mountains, CA
Re: Re: Old school ultralight hiker here...help me update my gear! on 04/24/2013 22:35:46 MDT Print View

"I'd love to take that pack off of your hands!"

My own Golite Breeze is hanging neatly in my closet - some day it will be worth a fortune - LOL. Well, a fortune in memories, maybe. I don't use it much anymore, but it has more sentimental value that almost any other piece of gear for me.

Kate Magill
(lapedestrienne) - F
great kit on 05/03/2013 12:31:47 MDT Print View

As many have said, I'd save your money and use it to take time off and get out in the woods! Your gear looks very dialed in.

Two nifty newish things you might want to try:

1. I think the Sawyer Squeeze water filter is a vast improvement over Aquamira. Weighs only 3 oz and it's a hollow-fiber filter that will give you way more bang-for-buck in the long haul, relative to both charcoal/ceramic filters and drops. Plus, you'll get to taste all that sweet mountain water for what it is--no chlorine flavor!

2. MSR is making Carbon-Core tent stakes; they are lighter than most titanium shepherds hook stakes, and they provide way better hold, too. They are pricy though. Sets of 4 are $30 at REI.

Andrew Zajac
(AZajac)

Locale: South West
light lights - pun intended on 05/03/2013 13:44:03 MDT Print View

You could replace the head light. I have been happy with my little fenix LD01. It is 1.04 oz, sturdy, takes a AAA, and is functionally waterproof. I even prefer hiking with it compared to my head lamp.

Pete Staehling
(staehpj1) - F
Light lights on 05/03/2013 17:31:32 MDT Print View

I find I am happy with a eGear Pico light. At 0.2 ounces and under $10 it is a good light. I find that I use lights very little so it lasts me months without a new battery.

Tom Roberts
(dirtyred)
Do what works for you on 05/11/2013 14:09:20 MDT Print View

I agree with the earlier post that gear is personal. Anyone can rattle of a list of the newest gear but you need to find what works for you. My advice for you (especially if you have been out of hiking for awhile) is to simply start hiking again. The questions you are asking will start to answer themselves.