Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
backpack & airport bagage handlers
Display Avatars Sort By:
Doug Hus
(Doug.H) - M

Locale: Ontario. Canada
backpack & airport bagage handlers on 04/08/2012 06:07:03 MDT Print View

Greetings, I'm looking for information on sending a backpack through airport baggage handlers.

Are there any tried and true stratagies for getting you pack to your destination safely?

-the pack will have treking poles.

Thanks,
Doug

Jack G
(NomadJack) - F

Locale: Midwest
backpack & airport bagage handlers on 04/08/2012 06:25:55 MDT Print View

Buy a cheap duffel bag to put it in. Depending on how long you are staying and whether you are leaving from the same airport you can either get rid it or lock it in a storage locker at the airport if that is an option. Put the trekking poles in a cardboard tube and then also inside the duffel.

Sumi Wada
(DetroitTigerFan) - F

Locale: Ann Arbor
Re: backpack & airport bagage handlers on 04/08/2012 09:33:25 MDT Print View

I fly with my gear at least 2-3 times a year and check it all inside a good solid rolling duffel. Mine is soft-sided but has a solid bottom. Most airlines have a maximum size limit of about 62", i.e. the length + width + height < 62. A 30" duffel that's 18" wide and 14" deep works well for me. Most collapsible poles will fit inside a 30" duffel.

I always put end caps on my poles and maybe wrap some clothes around it and put them toward the middle of the duffel. I don't use any tubes or additional protection and they've never been damaged.

I've heard of some people having their stoves confiscated but I've never had any issues. My gear is generally clean and neatly packed; maybe that helps. I do know that at least Continental Airlines explicitely does not allow backpacking/camping stoves in their checked luggage.

Paul Wagner
(balzaccom) - F

Locale: Wine Country
Or a suitcase on 04/08/2012 10:11:11 MDT Print View

When we did Machu Picchu we just put our packs in suitcases, so they didn't look so obvious, and everything came throught perfectly.