Forum Index » Chaff » Purse

Display Avatars Sort By:
Roger Dodger
(RogerDodger) - F

Locale: Wess Siide
Purse on 04/06/2012 14:08:43 MDT Print View

petite lady at work was telling us during lunch, that she got a new purse, and moved all the stuff in it, threw away a bunch of stuff she didn't need, and now she is happy her purse weight is down to 25 lbs.

she weighs a little over 105 lbs, so this purse is a quarter of her body weight.

So I tell her that there are people that go backpacking for a week, carrying shelter, sleeping bag, clothes and gear for a lot less weight. She was interested at first, but I got the disinterested rolled-eyes look when I mentioned fingertip sized prison toothbrushes, and titanium. I tried the "ounces add up to pounds" speech - didn't resonate.

may be someday when COACH brand makes UL purses, they will want one.

perhaps in the future, it's best I keep my UL views to myself. My wife and my sisters shutdown when I talk about lightening the load. They have shoulder problems from the elephants in their purse.

perhaps the difference between hunters and gathers.

Edited by RogerDodger on 04/06/2012 14:11:56 MDT.

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Locale: So Cal
Re: Man Purse on 04/06/2012 14:43:46 MDT Print View

My longest travel to date is a 7-month RTW trip -- carrying a 28L day pack with total pack weight of 10-11 lbs. And I had everything that I needed.

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Re: Purse on 04/06/2012 14:45:20 MDT Print View

"Maybe someday when COACH brand makes UL purses, they will want one.".

Coach already does. And women do want them. Ultra Luxe purses. :)

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: Re: Man Purse on 04/06/2012 15:03:39 MDT Print View

"My longest travel to date is a 7-month RTW trip -- carrying a 28L day pack with total pack weight of 10-11 lbs. And I had everything that I needed."

Ben, a world tour of nudist camps doesn't count ;)

I loved that story about getting shaken down by the authorities because you were carrying so little.

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Re: Man Purse on 04/06/2012 16:18:36 MDT Print View

Thanks, Dale. Except I wore CLEAN clothes every day! Yeah, the Israelis at the border were very hesitant about letting me in... they interrogated me for a good 45 minutes -- while letting in a slew of Palestinians!!

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Locale: In the shadow of Mt. Rainier
Re: Purse on 04/06/2012 16:22:22 MDT Print View

Well...you are a man so that is why you don't get it! I carry many things I wouldn't while backpacking! Heck, I carry my iPad even....
My purse is an REI backpack purse so has oodles of room. With 3 kids and a husband I often am carrying my things AND theirs. Don't tell me you married guys haven't whined till you got the wife to carry your things!

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Re: Man Purse on 04/06/2012 16:38:46 MDT Print View

"they interrogated me for a good 45 minutes -- while letting in a slew of Palestinians!!"

Meaning?

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Re: Purse on 04/06/2012 17:35:17 MDT Print View

@ Sarah:

I ain't married, but I do remember growing up... I never carried change or keys or tissues,... -- cause mom's got everything in her purse! So yeah, you have a point there.

OTOH, since my folks retired and lived on their own -- I notice that my dad is now the one who's carrying stuff for my mom! She just asks, and he pulls them out from his man pockets, whatever she needs! :)

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Locale: Wisconsin
Re: Re: Purse on 04/06/2012 17:40:20 MDT Print View

It's a shame that in this country, men are ridiculed for carrying a "murse" or manbag. They can be quite useful!

(but please, no fanny packs. Those are just wrong. :)

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Re: Purse on 04/06/2012 17:49:32 MDT Print View

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
RE: Purse on 04/06/2012 17:55:30 MDT Print View

But Travis you can get a fanny pack that is also a holster.

It's a field bag.

Roger Dodger
(RogerDodger) - F

Re: Re: Purse on 04/06/2012 21:02:12 MDT Print View

I use a credit card every opportunity, so i dont have to worry about coins and bills, or checkbook. I go to the ATM about 4 times per year. I pay my bills online, i dont have any postage stamps. No makeup, simplified my keychain recently, chapstick in the morning and leave at home. My wife carries a book and a magazine in her purse. I understand the need for fem hygiene stuff but at most that is half a pound... Guessing.

Funny thing, with the purse being so heavy, she carries a portable purse table hook. She has a sunglasses case that is big enough to fit all of queen victorias royal jewels. I put my sunglasses on my head or shirt, travel light.

Edited by RogerDodger on 04/06/2012 21:05:41 MDT.

Roger Dodger
(RogerDodger) - F

Re: Re: Re: Purse on 04/06/2012 21:03:55 MDT Print View

travis,
In this country men dont cross their legs either when they sit down.

Terry Trimble
(socal-nomad) - F

Locale: North San Diego county
Purse on 04/07/2012 08:30:40 MDT Print View

My Mom and sisters carry very little in small fanny packs. Some of my girlfriend carried everything but the kitchen sink in their purses. Basically lt's like guys with 3 to 6 inch thick exploding wallets with all kinds of crap in it.
Terry

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Re: Purse on 04/07/2012 09:06:32 MDT Print View

I am really laughing. You guys are pretty clueless about many women. Their purse IS their life. Some carry all their makeup, full size tubes of creams/lotions, hair brushes, etc.
And honestly? Why does it matter if they do? It doesn't hurt you all :-P

Roger Dodger
(RogerDodger) - F

Re: Re: Purse on 04/08/2012 19:09:48 MDT Print View

Sarah, of course it affects the guy with the lady who has a giant purse.

she is an easy target for purse snatchers, and when you care about someone, you dont want them to get robbed. especially as you said, their whole life is in that purse. I found out recently that designer purses are MONEY. $1k-$5k at least, and office ladies have a dozen. that's just the leather of the purse not its contents.

The other reason guys care, is that some of the purse ladies ask guys to hold their stuff when their purse is too full, or take forever to get a nickel from the bottom of that bag, you wait and you wait and you wait, then you wait and you wait and you wait.

As I stated earlier, my wife, my sisters and my mom have shoulder pain, can you guess which shoulder? its the one with the elephant in the purse.

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Re: Purse on 04/08/2012 21:57:36 MDT Print View

Big boobs also cause shoulder/back pain. Just sayin'...lol.

My other purse is a http://coronadoleather.com/c-193055-handbags.html - if you want a HEAVY purse I think that tops it ;-) Although it protects itself...hah.

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Re: Purse on 04/09/2012 17:42:28 MDT Print View

I guess some of you men need more Married 101 coaching.

My wife has some of those designer purses. I don't ask what they cost and she doesn't ask what my gear costs. But I suspect a couple cost more than my McHale's combined :)

If she cannot find something quickly, like her keys or wallet, I keep my trap shut and am patient. No, she does not have stuff like screw drivers, a multi-tool, pocket knife, pliers, scissors, or spare parts. And I don't recommend any additions to deletions to her purse contents. She carries what she wants and needs, not what I think should be in there. To be honest I never look inside, none of my business. I probably wouldn't know what the majority of the stuff is anyway.

And we have never had an argument of any kind.

Life is good.