Forum Index » GEAR » Men with 28 inch waist

Display Avatars Sort By:
Chris W
(simplespirit) - MLife

Locale: WNC
Re: skinny folks on 04/06/2012 13:57:49 MDT Print View

Outdoor/technical primarily. I've been able to find jeans that fit ok. I have on some older Mountain Hardwear Refueler shorts right now that are a small and fit ok, but most more traditional styled hiking shorts and pants are a couple of inches too big in a small. Montane says their extra small is for a 28, so I'm checking in to those.

Jake D
(JakeDatc) - F

Locale: Bristol,RI
Re: Re: skinny folks on 04/06/2012 14:17:15 MDT Print View

i have a pair of light zip off pants from REI that say medium (probably a small now) but have a elastic waist and belt that work for me. i haven't backpacked much until recently so they've held up since '96 or so haha.

my rain pants are patagonia size small that fit perfect.

John Whynot
(jdw01776)

Locale: Southeast Texas
Re: Re: skinny folks on 04/06/2012 14:26:26 MDT Print View

>>Outdoor/technical primarily

I have a 30" waist, and have found Mountain Hardwear hiking pants and shorts to fit well -- true to size. I just bought a pair of Marmot rain pants, also a good fit.

My big problem are shirts -- I need a medium for my shoulders, but too often end up with excess fabric at the bottom...

Justin Baker
(justin_baker) - F

Locale: west coast best coast
Re: Men with 28 inch waist on 04/06/2012 15:32:43 MDT Print View

I have a 31 inch waist, 30 is a little too small and 32 is a little too big. And to top it off, sometimes 30 is more like 32 and 32 is more like 30, depending on the brand. I don't wear hiking pants anymore, I just wear running shorts most of the time and put some long underwear on underneath them. Not the most fashionable thing, but it works for chilly mornings and hot days.

Ultra Magnus
(Ultra_Magnus) - F
Re: 28" waist on 04/06/2012 15:47:57 MDT Print View

"check little boy sizes"

I lol'd...

bm

Jeff M.
(Catalyst)

Locale: Costa Mesa, CA
Re: Re: skinny folks on 04/06/2012 17:09:25 MDT Print View

I have the same problem. I'm around a 28-29" waist and have a difficult time finding hiking pants. Either the waist is too big or the inseam is too long (I'm also short at 5'5"). I haven't found anything that works great. Right now I'm using some REI pants that don't fit great.

M B
(livingontheroad) - M
waist on 04/06/2012 17:26:12 MDT Print View

I have a 31 waist these days. I have a problem sometimes because smalls are often ~30 with skinny legs. Mediums are 32-34 with huge butts and crotch down to the knees. Just have to shop around and use a belt. Too baggy is better than too tight.

Currently there is some zip off synthetic pants at Bass Pro shops that fit me OK in medium, the small is more like a 30.

Edited by livingontheroad on 04/06/2012 17:26:43 MDT.

Robert Cowman
(rcowman) - F

Locale: Canadian Rockies
patagonia on 04/07/2012 02:56:35 MDT Print View

Tropical flats pants. come in XS and have a bit of stretch.

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Re: Men with 28 inch waist on 04/09/2012 15:39:28 MDT Print View

Since the general population is getting fat, these sizes are hard to find. It was impossible for me to find off the rack clothes for my kids when they were in high school. So...

1. Buy a sewing machine and learn how to take things in.

2. Find a good tailor.

Chris Martin
(hope_for_gorilla) - F

Locale: Finger Lakes
MHW Mesa on 04/09/2012 21:01:32 MDT Print View

A second vote for Mountain Hardwear Mesa zipoff pants. I'm a 28-29 inch waist and have had mine for a couple of years now, just renewed the DWR. I wish the legs were cut a bit slimmer, but love them for the versatility and backpack-friendly waist belt.