Forum Index » GEAR » Dear Mont-bell, Please put more down in your UL SS #3 Sleeping Bag

Display Avatars Sort By:
Casey Bowden
(clbowden) - MLife

Locale: Berkeley Hills
Dear Mont-bell, Please put more down in your UL SS #3 Sleeping Bag on 04/05/2012 15:24:16 MDT Print View

Friends,

It is my opinion that the Mont-bell UL SS #3 would be a perfect bag if it had a few more ounces of down. If you concur, please add to the thread. After some time has passed I'll forward the thread to Mont-bell.

Thanks in Advance

Casey

Mark Ries
(mtmnmark) - M

Locale: IOWAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!
you are to late on 04/05/2012 15:46:58 MDT Print View

I think they already did this in the 2012 models

Mark Ries
(mtmnmark) - M

More down on 04/05/2012 15:53:20 MDT Print View

It looks like they added 1 oz and there prices are really getting up there

Gary Rozanc
(grozanc)
I agree! on 04/05/2012 16:13:33 MDT Print View

Yeah, I just got one and was very disappointed that I was cold with temperatures only in the low 40s! I thought the same thing, seemed like very little down.

Greg F
(GregF) - F

Locale: Canadian Rockies
Which version on 04/05/2012 16:55:02 MDT Print View

Which version are you refering to. I have the Spiral down (Non-strech) and it is perfect down to its rated temperatures. I have heard people haveing some issues with the Stretch versions being cooler due to down compression.

I think that shifting down quickly to the top of the bag before sleeping is important on all of these UL 30 degree bags.

M B
(livingontheroad) - M
UL SS #3 on 04/05/2012 17:26:26 MDT Print View

Then it wouldnt be UL anymore.

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Locale: Wisconsin
Re: Which version on 04/05/2012 17:41:38 MDT Print View

I agree with Greg about down shifting. Take a bit of time to mush the down back on top of you. It likes to fall along the sides which decreases the bag's efficiency.

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Locale: Rockies
Re: Dear Mont-bell, Please put more down in your UL SS #3 Sleeping Bag on 04/05/2012 18:37:24 MDT Print View

Casey - this was my experience as well and I have discussed it in several threads. Lovely stretch but skimpy on the down!

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Locale: So Cal
Re: Dear Mont-bell, Please put more down in your UL SS #3 Sleeping Bag on 04/05/2012 18:44:43 MDT Print View

Casey:

Have you weighed your bag? How does it compare to the spec weight? The "paper thin" shell / lining won't vary too much in weight. If your bag weigh comes within spec, then you have nothing to worry about. But if your bag weight comes noticeably below -- then you should contact MontBell for exchange.

When I first got my MB #3, it looked and felt so skimpy that I had a lot of doubts about bringing it untested to Wind Rivers. However, actual weight was the same as spec. I ended up bringing the bag, but also brought an extra insulation layer "just in case". To my pleasant surprise, the bag's 32F rating was spot on! Temps were slightly below freezing (we had frost coating on our tents) but I felt comfy throughout -- wearing only silk long johns.

Mark Ries
(mtmnmark) - M

Add more down on 04/05/2012 19:22:54 MDT Print View

I had a UL spiral 30 (not SS) it kept me warm below the rating but I did notice lack of down in some baffles I think some of the baffles were over stuffed and some under stuffed. It weighted 1 oz over spec 20 oz for a reg length. I think more even stuffing would help but another oz or two of down would really improve the bag also

P. Larson
(reacttocontact) - F
Mont-bell on 04/06/2012 10:30:48 MDT Print View

Dear Mont-bell, Please put more down in everything.

Adan Lopez
(Lopez) - F

Locale: San Gabriel Valley
Dear Montbell, please listen to Casey on 04/06/2012 12:16:45 MDT Print View

My SS #3 wasn't warm enough for 30f, at least for me.