Forum Index » Post-Trip Reports » California Bikepacking at it's best!

Display Avatars Sort By:
Dylan Snodgrass
(TrueNorth)

Locale: San Francisco, CA
California Bikepacking at it's best! on 04/05/2012 12:03:06 MDT Print View

Hey guys I just finished a fantastic bike packing trip thru the costal mountains of Northern California. Check it out. http://bit.ly/I1UZ2U.

Condor!

Edited by TrueNorth on 04/05/2012 12:05:47 MDT.

Richard Nisley
(richard295) - M

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area
Re: California Bikepacking at it's best! on 04/05/2012 12:54:09 MDT Print View

Dylan,

Great trip report... thank you.

Eugene Smith
(Eugeneius) - MLife

Locale: Nuevo Mexico
: "California Bikepacking at it's best!" on 04/05/2012 13:11:18 MDT Print View

Awesome.

Adan Lopez
(Lopez) - F

Locale: San Gabriel Valley
Sweet stove! on 04/05/2012 13:31:31 MDT Print View

Love the report, dude! My rig sucks way to bad for a trip this legit but maybe someday. What an amazing route too, those long downhill cruises overlooking the ocean must have been all good. What kinds of shelters were used? i would imagine my Golite SL3 would work well for a trip like this but...Anyway, good to see you're livin like a champ Dylan, catch you on the trails!

Nico .
(NickB) - MLife

Locale: Los Padres National Forest
CA Bikepacking on 04/05/2012 19:08:18 MDT Print View

Sweet trip! That's a really great bikepack trip. I've hiked or biked parts of that route but never imagined putting it all together like that.

I'm planning to do a route through the Santa Barbara backcountry very similar to yours next month with a couple of friends. We'll start out in Cuyama, get up onto Sierra Madre Ridge Rd and from there connect to Big Pine Rd and then cross the SY River and go up and over the front country range and into SB. We're going to take our time and do it as an overnighter, explore some cool stuff along the way.

Thanks for motivation and inspiration!

David Chenault
(DaveC) - BPL Staff - F

Locale: Crown of the Continent
re: CA bikepacking on 04/05/2012 20:24:15 MDT Print View

Excellent trip.

David Lutz
(davidlutz)

Locale: Bay Area
"California Bikepacking at it's best!" on 04/05/2012 23:04:42 MDT Print View

Wow!

How did you figure that out?

I can only imagine what sort of trip itinerary you and Amy Lauterbach could come up with if you put your heads together.

I just bought a bike that would work well for that sort of trip, I think. I would love to visit the Carrizo Plain.

Good work!

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: Re: California Bikepacking at it's best! on 04/05/2012 23:12:59 MDT Print View

Fantastic! Beautiful, mud and all. Some beautiful work on the bikes.
Thanks.

Rick Horne
(Rick778) - M

Locale: NorCal - South Bay - Campbell
Re: Re: Re: California Bikepacking at it's best! on 04/06/2012 09:04:35 MDT Print View

Great read, really enjoyed it.

Ike Jutkowitz
(Ike) - M

Locale: Central Michigan
re: California bikepacking on 04/06/2012 09:27:55 MDT Print View

Loved this. Not your typical BPL trip report. Thanks.

John West
(skyzo)

Locale: Borah Gear
Re: re: California bikepacking on 04/07/2012 14:23:21 MDT Print View

Really enjoyed this, great read. Hoping to do a bike tour of my own here in a few months

Joshua Billings
(Joshua) - MLife

Locale: Santa Cruz,Ca
great trip on 04/11/2012 22:50:16 MDT Print View

Good job Dylan, i have been the other way on ridge road towards cone peak in Ventana. It looks really long on the map. Glad you had a great trip!

Amy Lauterbach
(drongobird) - MLife

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area
commenting on Dylan's bike trip report on 05/16/2012 17:44:20 MDT Print View

I'm catching up on reading trip reports and just yesterday read Dylan's fantastic bike trip report; and then saw that David Lutz mentioned my name in his comment, so I thought I ought to chime in :)

This thread inspired me to post our report:
http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=64148

David - did you know that Jim and I rode a route that overlapped Dylan's, including the Indians Road and the Carrizo Plain? You can combine info from Dylan's route and from our route in order to create a route that is perfect for you and your new bike!