Forum Index » GEAR » Tents: What is green and open on both sides?

Display Avatars Sort By:
Ron W
(Miles2go) - F

Locale: White River National Forest
Re: Re: Re: Alps Mystique 1.5 & Coleman Libra X1 on 04/03/2012 20:11:47 MDT Print View

Indeed Marc, it's a good value and one of the classics from Walrus.

Walrus Zoid 1.5: http://tinyurl.com/6qwckax

So is yours green as shown on the Alps Mountaineering page or gray?

Edited by Miles2go on 04/03/2012 20:22:31 MDT.

Samuel C. Farrington
(scfhome) - M

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA
Tents: What is green and open on both sides on 04/03/2012 20:32:11 MDT Print View

Ron,
While two doors are ideal for two people, the addition of a second door on a solo tent just adds weight that is difficult to justify. My preference for a rear cover is a permanently closed vestibule, accessible from inside the tent for storage, and that can be pointed toward the prevailing wind when pitching in an exposed area. A common example would be the rear of a Hubba, and the many others like it, if the vestibules were a little larger and accessible from inside the tent. This creates storage other than where it blocks access through the front vestibule, and the larger, less vertical rear cover is more wind shedding.

Adding a few more square feet under the rear cover has a negligible weight penalty in these days of Cuben; but a zipper is a zipper, and after poles, they are one of the major weight makers.

Glad you found two of what you were looking for in the BPL class. Tent designing involves balancing a multitude of factors and priorities, so is a good and enjoyable way to keep the mind active. Kudos to those who come up with products that are true improvements.

Ron W
(Miles2go) - F

Re: Re: Re: Tents: What is green and open on both sides? on 04/03/2012 20:36:39 MDT Print View

"The same old so what teaser. Why green?Musical Chairs but no real party. Why this green? Yeah I hauled this for years and I was glad to retire it once it stunk. Bulletproof , but you had to be there back in the day to choose it vs. a canvas tent to understand what it was. Green sunglasses a cheaper option. My Coleman Peak 1 Cobra is just not Emerald so be it for the better. Perhaps you are a Katydid fleeing a Praying Mantis or refilming Predator?"

Nice one there John. Let me finish this drink and I'll see if that reads any differently afterwards.

Ron W
(Miles2go) - F

Re: Tents: What is green and open on both sides on 04/03/2012 20:49:10 MDT Print View

Hey Samuel: Yeah, a second door on a solo is excessive in my opinion as well but I'd take it if the tent checked all of the other boxes and that second door was the only way to get the advantages that come along with it (more venting, etc.). With your example of the MSR Hubba, if they just made some way to raise that flat-side fly, that would do it for me. Opened views and better venting without much weight penalty.

Ryan Smith
(ViolentGreen) - M

Locale: Southeast
There's no denying this one on 04/03/2012 21:32:53 MDT Print View

http://www.amazon.com/SansBug-1-Person-Free-Standing-Pop-Up-Mosquito-Net/dp/B003BWF9WI

yep
;)

Ryan

Edited by ViolentGreen on 04/03/2012 21:34:03 MDT.

Ron W
(Miles2go) - F

Re: There's no denying this one on 04/03/2012 21:35:40 MDT Print View

Wow...that scared me. I think it still does! :)

Marc Shea
(FlytePacker) - F

Locale: Cascades
Re: Re: Re: Re: Alps Mystique 1.5 & Coleman Libra X1 on 04/06/2012 16:09:31 MDT Print View

It is a grayish green. Here is a picture of it in camp. It really makes the orange standout.

Alps Mystique