Forum Index » GEAR » Tents: What is green and open on both sides?

Display Avatars Sort By:
Ron W
(Miles2go) - F

Locale: White River National Forest
Tents: What is green and open on both sides? on 04/02/2012 11:25:53 MDT Print View

Are LightHeart Gear and Six Moon Designs the only tentmakers offering a forest green solo which is broadly open to views on both sides?

John Donewar
(Newton) - MLife

Locale: Southeastern Louisiana
Re: Tents: What is green and open on both sides? on 04/02/2012 12:24:05 MDT Print View

Ron,

In forest green they are the only ones that I know of at present.

But that depends on your defintion of "broadly open".

The Lightheart Gear and Six Moon Designs tents both require an "awning" or "porch" to maintain the view when the rain fly of either tent is deployed.

Both of these tents are "hybrids" of sorts because their rain fly is attached permanently. Other tents have a separate inner netting and an outer rain fly.

http://www.sierradesigns.com/c-22-ultralight.aspx

I hike with a fellow who uses the Sierra Designs Light Year tent. It is green but a little lighter than forest green. Unless the rain fly is in place his tent is open to the view 360 degrees.

For a custom tent "fee" you may be able to get an "awning" or "porch" on both sides with a zippered door on each side.

Party On,

Newton

Edited by Newton on 04/02/2012 12:24:55 MDT.

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: Tents: What is green and open on both sides? on 04/02/2012 12:25:43 MDT Print View

A green tarp? Add bug insert and hike :)

Ron W
(Miles2go) - F

Re: Re: Tents: What is green and open on both sides? on 04/02/2012 13:00:30 MDT Print View

Yeah Dale. I expected that response...so I put "Tents" in the title of the post. :)

Thanks Newton. Not quite on the SD Light Year. I'm speaking of tents designed in such a way that the fly opens up on both long sides (doors, vestibules, etc.). A few two-person examples are the MSR Carbon Reflex (though not quite forest green), Hilleberg Rogen, and last year's SMD Lunar Duo in green.

Surely there are other forest green solo tents, with open views on both sides, aren't there?

Thus far:

Six Moon Designs Scout/Trekker
LightHeart Gear Solo/SoLong 6

Edited by Miles2go on 04/02/2012 13:08:57 MDT.

Aaron Croft
(aaronufl) - M

Locale: Alaska
Two wide open doors and vestibules on 04/02/2012 18:16:35 MDT Print View

Other than the ones you listed, this is the other tent that comes to mind if you want to break the bank...

http://www.hilleberg.com/home/products/rogen/rogen.php

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: Tents: What is green and open on both sides? on 04/02/2012 18:24:35 MDT Print View

Montbell Crescent 1

http://www.montbell.us/products/disp.php?cat_id=38&p_id=2322296

Chad Poindexter
(Stick) - F

Locale: Wet & Humid Southeast....
Lunar Duo on 04/02/2012 19:06:13 MDT Print View

I like my Lunar Duo...

Ron W
(Miles2go) - F

Re: Lunar Duo on 04/02/2012 21:56:56 MDT Print View

Right Chad, like your green Lunar Duo, which isn't made anymore(in green) and also isn't a "solo" tent.

So as far we know, perhaps the only solo tents made featuring a forest green fly which opens up on both long edges to allow viewing, are the following 3:

Six Moon Designs: Scout/Trekker

LightHeart Gear: Solo/SoLong 6

Mont-bell: Crescent 1 ...though I have not found a single photo or video to show that this tent has ever actually been pitched outside, by anyone.

The lack of such offerings seems counter-intuitive at the least. Backpackers want to see where they are camping, wake to the views, etc. And forest green is kind of an iconic color of preference for wild camping.

Franco Darioli
(Franco) - M

Locale: Melbourne
Tents: What is green and open on both sides? on 04/02/2012 22:02:19 MDT Print View

here is one...MB Crescent 1

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Re: Tents: What is green and open on both sides? on 04/02/2012 22:06:51 MDT Print View

That is the Crescent 1 I linked to Franco.

Time for Henry to offer another color choice for TT.

An olive Moment or Scarp would be grand.

I'm just sick of that gray.

Ron W
(Miles2go) - F

Re: Tents: What is green and open on both sides? on 04/02/2012 22:08:48 MDT Print View

I thought that would come along, and suspected it wouldn't be from this continent. Looks a little over-stuffed and from the looks of it, it almost looks unfinished.

Edited by Miles2go on 04/02/2012 22:10:12 MDT.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Re: Re: Tents: What is green and open on both sides? on 04/02/2012 22:11:36 MDT Print View

You did not specify quality standards or requirements ;)

Ron W
(Miles2go) - F

Re: Re: Re: Tents: What is green and open on both sides? on 04/02/2012 22:16:34 MDT Print View

Lol. No, I'm not marking it off the list. At least I think it's still in production. I'm just sayin' it doesn't appear to be on the same level as the other two on the list, and likely the fly doesn't open up as much.

Steven Paris
(saparisor) - M

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: Tents: What is green and open on both sides? on 04/02/2012 22:35:20 MDT Print View

There is also the Nemo Meta 2:

http://www.nemoequipment.com/nemo2011-meta2p-tent

A little brighter than forest green, however . . .

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Re: Re: Tents: What is green and open on both sides? on 04/02/2012 22:39:41 MDT Print View

They still make it. Half the fly rolls back completely. If I were shorter I might have given it a go. But at 6'3" it's just not enough. The forest green color on them now is really nice. There is a Crescent 2 also.

Edited by kthompson on 04/02/2012 22:52:22 MDT.

Ron W
(Miles2go) - F

Re: Re: Tents: What is green and open on both sides? on 04/02/2012 22:42:24 MDT Print View

Solo - solo - solo -solo. Not Duo / two-person tents.

There's a long list of 2 person tents which have a forest green fly which opens on both sides.

Still know of only 3 solo tents that those two seemingly obvious things can be said about.

Franco Darioli
(Franco) - M

Tents: What is green and open on both sides? on 04/02/2012 23:16:12 MDT Print View

If you like green because you ...like green , well that is just fine.
However if you think that a green tent will blend in more than that shade you don't like, that is another matter.
It just happens that the human eye can pick more types (shades/tints,hues) of green than any other color, therefore it is very difficult for one type of green to blend in with another.
However I would be interested to see the exact type of green that people like..
Franco
BTW, I do know of another solo green tent with two doors.
That is because I suggested that particular design, and here it is :

.Luxe Speedup

It's the Luxe SpeedUp, with Michael Wong from Luxe and me.
It is a darker more emerald green than that. You need to be 6" or under for that one or sleep diagonally
http://www.luxeoutdoor.com/eng/catalog-topic-gallery-view1.asp?id=1146&selfpath=/12/134

Edited by Franco on 04/02/2012 23:32:08 MDT.

Ron W
(Miles2go) - F

Re: Tents: What is green and open on both sides? on 04/02/2012 23:46:32 MDT Print View

Where's the data? I'd like to read that study. Being a retired investigator, I have suspicions as to the applicability of the human eye's perception of green, in this context.

Nature is full of wide range of greens. So what better color to blend in than one of those shades? Even on a rock outcropping, from afar a green object can easily be mistaken as a tree/bush/brush or something organic to the landscape.

I did a little study of my own a few years ago with a photograph taken above of about 8 tents of different colors, including a few shades of green, all pitched in a distant field. I individually asked 7 people to tell me which tent they had the hardest time spotting; which one stood out the least. It was the dark green tent which drew 5 votes, followed by the slightly lighter green tent with 2. Neither matched the field color perfectly but no one picked the gray, white, orange, tan, etc. tents. My vote was on the darker green tent but I didn't count mine. 2 people were with me when I took the image and they mirrored the data. I could probably dig that photo up, amongst my 100k+ images.

Edited by Miles2go on 04/03/2012 00:04:55 MDT.

Ron W
(Miles2go) - F

Re: Tents: What is green and open on both sides? on 04/02/2012 23:50:22 MDT Print View

That is a nice looking tent Franco. Is it still being offered? The last product catalog I see on the website is from 2010?

Franco Darioli
(Franco) - M

Tents: What is green and open on both sides? on 04/03/2012 01:51:57 MDT Print View

The Speedup is still for sale. The agents are listed on the right side of the screen in the Luxe Outdoor home page.

Sensitivity to colors :
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cone_cell
see under "types"
or
http://www.powertechnology.com/PDFs/WP_eyecolorsensitivity.pdf

however it is a very complex subject (that I know very little about) because we see with our brain not with our eyes and of course not all see the same colour.
In the end my point was that on different backgrounds we may see green (particularly yellow-green or light greens) easier than some other colours or grey .
(if you camp in a limited area with the same type of vegetation, then a match is a bit easier )
Note just how many types of "camo" fabrics there are...
keep in mind that whatever green you like is not going to be the green someone else wants...
Franco