Forum Index » Hiking Partners / Group Trip Announcements » Rocky Mountain GGG?

Display Avatars Sort By:
P. Larson
(reacttocontact) - F
Re: Re: Ok...let's get serious. on 04/02/2012 22:29:39 MDT Print View

Ok...Moab could work. Eugene is in Las Cruces and having him drive to SLC would be the same case as you driving to Boulder.

Maybe this is why a Rocky Mountain GGG hasn't happened before.

Christopher Mills
(Hiker816) - MLife

Locale: Denver
Re: Rocky Mountain GGG on 04/02/2012 22:32:48 MDT Print View

I'm in! I live in Denver, so somewhere in central CO would be ideal, but I'll drive if I need to.

Clayton Mauritzen
(GlacierRambler) - M

Locale: NW Montana
Re: Re: Re: Ok...let's get serious. on 04/02/2012 22:39:43 MDT Print View

Totally fair points. There aren't many of us this far north, so I don't want to be selfish and have everyone cater to a few. Moab is only a couple of hours closer than Boulder.

Honestly, the biggest decider for me are the dates.

P. Larson
(reacttocontact) - F
Re: Re: Re: Re: Ok...let's get serious. on 04/02/2012 22:56:02 MDT Print View

I'm thinking August 24, 25, 26. It gives people time to figure out schedules, travel plans, that sort of thing.

I'm going to go with this: The dates above, EXACT location TBD and depends on who is definitely coming. I think it would be unfair if I said it is planned for somewhere in Colorado yet we had 8 people from Montana, 1 from New Mexico, 4 from Wyoming, 5 from Utah, 3 from Idaho, and 1 from Colorado attending.

Does that make sense ?

OR..we could say screw it, and have the Rocky Mountain GGG in freaking Alaska! Get all Skurka crazy and s**t.

Edited by reacttocontact on 04/02/2012 22:57:40 MDT.

Mike Allen
(michaellea62) - F - M

Locale: UTAH
rocky mountain ggg on 04/02/2012 23:26:49 MDT Print View

Hey Paul I'm interested and would be coming from salt lake city... Drive time would have to be some what reasonable though... Pick your place and I will let you know

Ben Wortman
(bwortman)

Locale: Nebraska
Possibly on 04/03/2012 07:01:54 MDT Print View

I'll already be in Colorado that weekend. I might me able to join for a night or two it it ends up being somewhat close to where I'll be.

Justin Baccary
(justin.baccary)
RE: Moab on 04/03/2012 08:35:29 MDT Print View

Moab in August is not a good idea...

August 24-26 works for me.

Clayton Mauritzen
(GlacierRambler) - M

Locale: NW Montana
Re: RE: Moab on 04/03/2012 09:47:59 MDT Print View

I wish those dates worked for me. Unfortunately, that is the first week of school. Something in early October would be best for me. Maybe GGG #2...

Edited by GlacierRambler on 04/03/2012 09:49:21 MDT.

David Chenault
(DaveC) - BPL Staff - F

Locale: Crown of the Continent
re: RM GGG on 04/04/2012 15:48:44 MDT Print View

Just as it will be impossible to find a date which works for everyone, so too will one location always be problematic. Doing state or regional gatherings would be more practical.

In any case I'd be interested, though I agree with the above, it would need to be a proper backpacking trip. And thus not so huge.

Randy Nelson
(rlnunix) - F - M

Locale: Rockies
GGG on 04/05/2012 20:27:25 MDT Print View

I'm in. From Colorado. I agree with Justin: not Moab in August. The Winds is a long drive and I'm going a few weeks after that so I'd probably pass on that. Most anywhere else works for me.

Jon Leibowitz
(jleeb) - F - MLife

Locale: 4Corners
Me! on 04/08/2012 08:53:44 MDT Print View

I would be very interested in attending. I'm located in SW Colorado - Cortez. Southern San Juans have a lot of wild areas.

There are also some lesser known areas in the region....Abajo Peak and the surrounding Monti-La Sal Southern Unit in Utah. Lone Cone Peak and the surrounding National Forest....options are endless in this area.

Basically though, I'm down to meet some BPLers and can probably meet anywhere that is not in the front range...too far...then again closer than a location in Wyoming or Montana.

Edited by jleeb on 04/08/2012 13:37:48 MDT.

Michael Ray
(topshot) - MLife

Locale: Midwest
Re: Ok...let's get serious. on 04/08/2012 10:00:59 MDT Print View

I'm not a local, but I'd try to come, and piggyback my annual week-long trip either before or after it. I'd just need a ride to/from whatever airport is nearby.

Edited by topshot on 04/08/2012 10:04:36 MDT.

P. Larson
(reacttocontact) - F
Rocky Mountain GGG UL Backpacking Trip on 04/09/2012 08:18:11 MDT Print View

Sadly, I don't think it's going to happen. From PM's I've gotten and people posting in the thread, the majority are from the front range area. It wouldn't seem fair to make the majority have to travel to meet the needs of one person here, one person there, and one person there because those people aren't willing to travel. Not trying to be rude, just practical. And considering I'm kinda sorta really trying to figure all of this out, it would make sense to have it somewhere within 3-4 hours so I can scout the area and/or figure out a place that's really amazing so the people who do travel don't go home saying it wasn't worth it. As Dave said, there's no way I'll be able to figure out a date and place that's going to suit everyone.

So here's my plan: by the end of next week I will have a set location and exact dates. I'm going to plan it as a loop style backpacking trip. That way we don't have to deal with car shuttles, reserving a group campsite, and all that other stuff. It will most likely be in a wilderness area.

Stay tuned.

Edited by reacttocontact on 04/09/2012 09:56:41 MDT.

Jon Leibowitz
(jleeb) - F - MLife

Re: Rocky Mountain GGG UL Backpacking Trip on 04/09/2012 09:25:00 MDT Print View

Any wilderness area is gonna be great. Thanks for planning this.

Rich S
(rich.s) - F
Re: Re: Rocky Mountain GGG UL Backpacking Trip on 04/09/2012 22:09:44 MDT Print View

I had to first figure out what GGG meant. Sounds like an awesome idea.

I will gladly help out with planning this.

ERIC PAYNE
(vaporjourney)

Locale: Greater Gila
re: Rocky Mtn GGG on 04/24/2012 22:27:46 MDT Print View

I also live in the Front Range of Colorado in Lyons, and would be game for a meetup like this.

Where would I go?

-Maroon Bells
-Gore Range (never been here)
-Mummy Range Traverse in RMNP
-Sangre de Christos

I would probably avoid the Collegiate Peaks like the plague since EVERYONE wants to hang out there, and the mountains aren't nearly as interesting as the other ranges mentioned above.

Jeff Gerke
(mtnrunner) - M

Locale: Utah
What is a GGG? on 04/26/2012 10:02:41 MDT Print View

First of all, I don't know what a GGG is but it sounds fun. I would not be able to travel to Colorado but if one ever happens within 5-6 hours of SLC I'm in. Now someone explain to me what a GGG is.

Link .
(annapurna) - MLife
Re: What is a GGG? on 04/26/2012 10:10:18 MDT Print View

BPLers Gathering of Gear Geeks

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=18317

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=59898

added some links to some of the gatherings for you to see.

Edited by annapurna on 04/26/2012 10:15:33 MDT.

Gary Dunckel
(Zia-Grill-Guy) - MLife

Locale: Boulder
What is a GGG? on 04/26/2012 10:11:04 MDT Print View

I think it's a Gathering of Gear Geeks (that would certainly be us).

Edit--wow, you are quick, Ms. Anna "Link" O'Leary. I've decided to give you that new nickname, because you are the best ever at referencing the archives...

Edited by Zia-Grill-Guy on 04/26/2012 10:20:48 MDT.

Jon Leibowitz
(jleeb) - F - MLife

RMGGG on 04/26/2012 12:36:31 MDT Print View

Last I read, P.Larson was going to figure out a potential location and date. Perhaps he is still trying to figure one out or got sidetracked. I'm located in SW Colorado, but am willing to travel.

I'm also willing to organize this if P.Larson doesn't want to.

Edited by jleeb on 04/26/2012 12:37:33 MDT.