Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
ZPacks update Hexamid shelters with tape bonding as a default feature!
Display Avatars Sort By:
John Abela
(JohnAbela) - MLife
ZPacks update Hexamid shelters with tape bonding as a default feature! on 04/02/2012 06:43:35 MDT Print View

Hey All,

Zpacks updated their Hexamid shelter to be bonded as a default feature!!!!

I have documented the changes at http://hikelighter.com/2012/04/02/zpacks-updates-their-hexamid-tents-now-tape-bonded/ if you are interested in the differences in weight and price between the previous versions and the new bonded versions.

I only have details on the Hexamid Solo and the Hexamid Solo-Plus. I failed to record the specs on the Twin when I did my initial SUL/XUL Enclosed Shelter Comparisons chart.

(I do not represent zpacks... just a big time zpacks gear owner)

Darren M.
(dmacdaddy)

Locale: West
Bad Timing on 04/02/2012 08:10:56 MDT Print View

Thanks for the updated info John. This is great news!...except for those of us who just bought the tent two weeks ago (never used) and have already seam sealed it!

I'm concerned about how effective the sealing will work hearing from others like Stick etc. I hope others Hexamid owners will chime in here and let us know if you experienced issues with leaking. Obviously, with Joe making the them only taped now-there must have been some issues.

I am skeptical that my new twin will be watertight.

Edited by dmacdaddy on 04/02/2012 08:47:44 MDT.

Ty Ty
(TylerD)

Locale: SE US
Re: ZPacks update Hexamid shelters with tape bonding as a default feature! on 04/02/2012 08:19:03 MDT Print View

This makes me want one even more!

Bob Bankhead
(wandering_bob) - MLife

Locale: Oregon, USA
ZPacks update Hexamid shelters with tape bonding as a default feature! on 04/02/2012 08:31:43 MDT Print View

@John:

I recorded the earlier values for the Hexamid Twin with beak and net tent

11.4 oz. without stakes vs. 12.6 oz for the new bonded version

$399 vs. $415 for the new bonded version.

Net/net = adds 1.2 oz and $16

Eugene Smith
(Eugeneius) - MLife

Locale: Nuevo Mexico
about time on 04/02/2012 08:44:41 MDT Print View

They should have been bonded to begin with.

William Chilton
(WilliamC3) - MLife

Locale: Antakya
Re: Bad Timing on 04/02/2012 08:59:46 MDT Print View

Darren, I seam sealed a Hexamid Solo+. When I hose tested it, I found there was a minute amount of water coming through the mid-level tie outs. It was very slight and only detectable by holding tissue paper against them. In practice, I think it would be hard to distinguish it from condensation, and probably cause no more trouble. I think the problem is that where the stitching turns a right angle, it makes larger holes. (I had no leaking through the seams.) I backed the tie out reinforcements with Tenacious Tape (as recommended by McNett for larger pinholes)and resealed these parts. You should then be able to remove the tape but I left it on. This solved the problem.

Stephan Doyle
(StephanCal)
Re: ZPacks update Hexamid shelters with tape bonding as a default feature! on 04/02/2012 10:12:22 MDT Print View

This is good news. Stitching was the weakest part of his shelters (any cuben shelter, really), which seam sealing remedies but is a bit of a hassle. Taping is stronger.

Chad "Stick" Poindexter
(Stick) - F

Locale: Wet & Humid Southeast....
Re: Bad Timing on 04/02/2012 13:44:54 MDT Print View

Yep, Joe is now taping all of his Hexamids. This is good news to my ears, although I already have mine and I taped it myself.

As far as my seam sealing not being effective on my Hexamid, I can't blame that on the tent, but rather my application (or lack thereof in a few small areas...) I did find it awfully hard to seal the white Hexamid because it was hard for me to see where exactly I had gotten. Maybe it was the lighting, or maybe it was just me, I dunno. However, once I used it in a good rain on day I saw a few small drops forming along the long seam on the back wall. So, at this point I decided that rather than continuing to slop on more seam seal and hope that I got it this time, I would rather just tape it and see that I got it this time. In the end, I do wish I had got tape and taped it the first time, but I really didn't think about it. I just had seam sealing it on the brain...

Anyway, I would suggest to anyone to pick up a strip of the single sided tape that he is selling and add some to your repair kit. I haven't needed mine, but with all the cuben that I am now carrying, I feel like a 0.1 oz strip of cuben tape is justified. Just my opinion...

Kenneth Houseal
(Homewardbound)
Re: Re: Bad Timing on 04/02/2012 14:25:45 MDT Print View

Stick, as soon as I heard about this I thought about you. I had watched your video recently...and couldn't help but laugh(sorry) when John Abela sent out the e-mail.

Glad to hear Joe switched over.

John Abela
(JohnAbela) - MLife
Re: Re: Bad Timing on 04/05/2012 12:43:02 MDT Print View

I would suggest to anyone to pick up a strip of the single sided tape that he is selling and add some to your repair kit. I haven't needed mine, but with all the cuben that I am now carrying, I feel like a 0.1 oz strip of cuben tape is justified

Agreed in many ways. Most of us have been using that gray-tape for a long time to patch our CF gear but with zpacks making it so easy for us to acquire one-sided CF tape it just seems like a logical thing to throw into a bag with the rest of your gear.