Forum Index » General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » NanoLite - 5 Lbs base weight

Display Avatars Sort By:
Nathan Hays
(oroambulant) - M

Locale: San Francisco
NanoLite - 5 Lbs base weight on 04/01/2012 13:27:52 MDT Print View

After looking over my gear list, I became dismayed that so much weight goes into shelter and food related items. For example, my bag, bivy, pad, and tarp are about 4 Lbs, and my bear can (Sierra rqm't), stove, fuel, utensils, and cleanup are also about 4 Lbs. That's nearly half my base weight right there!

I couldn't sleep last night thinking about this so I decided to take a midnight hike through the SF Presidio, GG Bridge, and Marin Headlands. 6 hours later, the sun was coming up from behind Berkeley and I had covered over 20 miles, a very nice clip.

And then it hit me. Why not do all my hiking at night, sleeping during the day? I can go much faster, and I don't need all that shelter and bedding! Of course I would need to carry more batteries or perhaps a solar charger, but that's nothing compared to the weight and volume I have been carrying.

But the best was yet to come. I don't need to carry nearly as much food. When you hike at night, everyone else is fast asleep. There's no trouble foraging - it's literally hanging from the trees!

So here we are on 4/1, contemplating what a wonderful summer this is going to be :)

drowning in spam
(leaftye) - F

Locale: SoCal
Re: NanoLite - 5 Lbs base weight on 04/01/2012 14:04:46 MDT Print View

If you don't want to carry food, just hike the AT in the Blood Mountain Shelter area. Hanging bear bags are no longer allowed, but it'll surely be done. All you have to do is raid the bear bags and blame the bears.

K C
(KalebC) - F

Locale: South West
What does "Sierra Req" mean? on 04/01/2012 16:16:31 MDT Print View

What does Sierra Req mean in regards to a bear can. Actually I'm sitting here with my sub 5 pound base weight gear list wondering what you are implying? Keep trying... You'll figure out how to get under a 5 lb base without stealing food buddy!

Nathan Hays
(oroambulant) - M

Locale: San Francisco
Re: Sierra Rqm't on 04/02/2012 09:22:52 MDT Print View

Alas, on April 2, a mere 1 day later, I realize I have been a fool. Hiking at night, I wouldn't see what I hike to see, and most trail-found food is too rich. I'll stick to my diet of Hammer Perpetuem Solid pellets and Endurolyte caps carried in a SEKI approved bear cannister. :)