Forum Index » GEAR » You stink, Nalgene!

Display Avatars Sort By:
Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
?? on 05/02/2012 01:40:17 MDT Print View

This is the most incredible asinine thread I have ever read :(

Devon Cloud
(devoncloud)

Locale: Southwest
This has been an insight to human behavior :) on 05/02/2012 09:47:13 MDT Print View

hmm, a thread about almost nothing on a backpacking light forum and it has more posts that the stuff that supposedly we are all interested in.
This is a sight that is riddled with people that like to speak their minds in the rudest of ways when they disagree. I was told to have thicker skin concerning the way I was treated on one of my threads when I did not correctly speak fuel-eze language (i certainly did not threaten to hit someone in the face with a cement-filled Nalgene bottle). While I don't act like this guy and threaten people (nor would I ever start), I can relate a bit to what he is saying even though he has made himself look like the biggest fool on the planet in the process.

Yet still, here is this tool out-doing the people with "thick skin" acting completely inapropriately while everyone else stoops to his level. I think this is now the longest post since I have been paying attention to the forums which admitedly is not long at all. Everyone has to take a shot at him (some multiple shots just to make sure they got under his skin). Even me I guess since I am posting right now and not being very nice ;0P

Not sure what this says about us but is says something. Maybe we all need to join the UFC hahaha!!!

Edited by devoncloud on 05/02/2012 09:51:49 MDT.

Zack Freije
(oldskool) - F

Locale: Ohio
Re: Re: You stink, Nalgene! on 05/02/2012 13:03:01 MDT Print View

"You know what stinks? This:

No amount of scrubbing, soap or boiling water will get the stink out. The only thing I found that works is baking soda, and that's temporary. I wish I could get it replaced, but that company now uses cheaper plastic that cracks easily, along with lower quality manufacturing that tends to cause leaks. So if you crank on the lid to stop the leak, it'll crack, and it still stinks"

This works great for me:
http://www.amazon.com/Zyliss-Quick-Blend-Shaker-Red/dp/B000N3BLXO

Zyliss quick blend shaker. It attaches to a standard blender, then just screw the cap on and go.

Susan Papuga
(veganaloha) - M

Locale: USA
nalgene recall on 05/02/2012 14:20:14 MDT Print View

i have several of the older bottles and was never aware of the recall, but i figure I've gotten my money's worth from a product that i've had for twenty years and still works just fine. I bought new BPA free bottles and simply use the old ones to store small, loose things in, like batteries, jewelery, whatever.

wrt to some of the comments in this thread, how unfortunate, but I guess there's a reason some people don't post their own picture.

Dave T
(DaveT) - F
teddy. on 05/02/2012 14:57:18 MDT Print View

teddy.

you REALLY need to delete that personal info from here immediately.

or a moderator needs to.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: This has been an insight to human behavior :) on 05/02/2012 15:54:32 MDT Print View

Devon. I followed that thread where you met --B.G.-- Not always the best way to be introduced to BPL. This particular thread? Take it for what it is worth. Got a nice PM from the OP. Everything is fine on my side of the fence. Sure we can be rude at times. But at least this forum is not so heavily moderated that all post read like they are from an alternate reality where everything is rainbows and unicorns. You have to seek out the positive. Just like life.

BER ---
(BER) - MLife

Locale: Wisconsin
You stink, Nalgene! on 05/02/2012 17:05:03 MDT Print View

Damn!

I though I might find rainbows and unicorns here.
Unfortunately I just lost 10 more minutes of my life I will never regain...on crap.

Devon Cloud
(devoncloud)

Locale: Southwest
@ Ken Thompson on 05/02/2012 21:40:26 MDT Print View

Ken, perhaps I may come off as being upset but in reality I am not... in fact I like the confrontation. That being said, I don't back off from much. B-G tried to put me underneath him and I let him know what I felt about his lack of social skills. I don't hold it against him though, we had our two cents to say and it's over as far as I am concerned and he was correct in what he was saying he just went about it incorrectly.
In the context of this thread however, I did not say what I said because I was upset... I said it because I saw the hipocracy of this particular group who loves to jump on anyone they perceive to show weakness on a certain subject to call someone else out exhibiting the same behavior (all be it a more colorful version). I don't think it is a flaw of this group... I think that is human nature, which is what I wanted to point out.
Trust me, I enjoy life to the fullest, and aside from Bob's inadequate social skills I am loving the forum ;o)

Franco Darioli
(Franco) - M

Locale: Melbourne
You stink, Nalgene! on 05/02/2012 23:47:35 MDT Print View

The only fair way to settle this would be to engage Gregory and a representative from Nalgene in the traditional Fish Dance.
I vote for Gregory to play the Michael Palin part (on the right side of the screen but not the bright side of life) and the Nalgene guy to play the John Cleese bit.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9SSOWORzw4
Franco

Kier Selinsky
(Kieran) - F

Locale: Seattle, WA
Wow on 05/03/2012 12:01:10 MDT Print View

I haven't paid attention to this thread till today. Quite the show. I'll never understand why someone would be willing to commit felonious assault just because of a few words on an internet forum.

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest/Sierra
Re: @ Ken Thompson on 05/03/2012 17:35:36 MDT Print View

"aside from Bob's inadequate social skills I am loving the forum ;o)"

Eventually, you'll come to love them as well, Devon. When things get boring, they make a great foil for forum humor in the dead of winter. Up here in the dismal Pacific NW, the temptation becomes irresistable around the first of the year, but it's all in good fun. Well mostly. ;0)

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest/Sierra
Re: Wow on 05/03/2012 17:45:06 MDT Print View

"I'll never understand why someone would be willing to commit felonious assault just because of a few words on an internet forum."

He'd have to wing that concrete filled Nalgene a looonnnnng way to do it. That's the beauty of the Internet. He's just venting, as are a few others. Cabin fever reaches a fever pitch here just about the time everyone's sap starts to flow again, sort of like foul tempered bears emerging from hibernation. So far, no one's been killed or sued. Still, it can grate on the more sensitive souls among us, and on almost all of us if it goes on long enough. Roger C is pretty good about stepping in when it reaches that stage. This one seems to be dying a natural death, so I doubt he'll be forced to swallow his scruples about inhibiting free speech this time around. Trust me when I say there have been far wilder and woolier threads than this one, some of which now exist only in our "clan memory", having long since been scrubbed fron the server.

G Watson
(twiglegs)

Locale: Uk
Snacks anyone. ? on 05/03/2012 18:07:10 MDT Print View

Jeez, only just seen this, could have funded so much new kit if i'd seen this earlier and set up a popcorn stand. ;>)

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: Snacks anyone. ? on 05/04/2012 00:00:24 MDT Print View

> could have funded so much new kit if i'd seen this earlier and set up a popcorn stand
Oh no you don't! That's MY privilege!
But I didn't think of it. Go you halves? :-)

Cheers

Edited by rcaffin on 05/04/2012 00:00:51 MDT.