Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
You stink, Nalgene!
Display Avatars Sort By:
Gregory Petliski
(gregpphoto) - F
You stink, Nalgene! on 04/01/2012 12:57:27 MDT Print View

I own a couple old BPA-ridden Nalgenes, and I think Nalgene should replace any BPA bottles with new, non-BPA bottles. I know, crazy to think a company should stand by their products right? Well, I wrote the following letter Nalgene (yes, a HAND WRITTEN letter!), and its been about three weeks with no response. Makes me want to ditch them as a company, but they make great products at great prices, so Ill probably let it slide. But I will not go quietly! I plan on writing a followup letter, email, and perhaps try to call. Alls Im asking for is two, clear, 32oz HDPE bottles. They sell em for $5. So apparently, $10 is worth more than my loyalty.

"Hello, I am an avid user of Nalgene products, from the classic 32 oz bottles to the small medicine jar containers. Two of the products I own are 32 oz wide mouth bottles produced before Nalgene stopped making bottles with BPA. I would like very much to be able to trade these is for non-BPA, HPDE clear wide mouth bottles without the loop top, the ones that cost $5. I have stood by Nalgene products since I began hiking when I was nineteen years old, and I hope to continue using them in the future.

Sincerely,

Greg Petliski, customer since 2006."

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: You stink, Nalgene! on 04/01/2012 13:09:15 MDT Print View

Well did you ever stop and think how long you have had those bottles? Do you not feel that they have given good service and are still functional, giving their moneys worth? How long do you think they should last? How much BPA do you think those bottles have already put into your system? Any negative results that you are aware of? Is $10 worth all the angst?

Edited by kthompson on 04/01/2012 21:45:02 MDT.

P. Larson
(reacttocontact) - F
Re: You stink, Nalgene! on 04/01/2012 13:50:35 MDT Print View

I thought this was going to be a thread complaining about how most Nalgene's eventually smell like mold. Blah, I hate Nalgene.

Greg F
(GregF) - F

Locale: Canadian Rockies
Really on 04/01/2012 13:52:42 MDT Print View

A company makes an indusctruable product that you get years of use out of and they recall based on pretty weak evidence that BPA is harmful and you want them to replace all of them at no cost?

Really you got fair use out of them. Given that we dont know the long term behavior of these plastics should they start stamping expiry dates on them so you are aware they wont last forever.

So you have a choice to make. Be a reaonable customer or go to another company and in a few years they will disappoint ypu as well

drowning in spam
(leaftye) - F

Locale: SoCal
Re: You stink, Nalgene! on 04/01/2012 14:01:49 MDT Print View

You know what stinks? This:

No amount of scrubbing, soap or boiling water will get the stink out. The only thing I found that works is baking soda, and that's temporary. I wish I could get it replaced, but that company now uses cheaper plastic that cracks easily, along with lower quality manufacturing that tends to cause leaks. So if you crank on the lid to stop the leak, it'll crack, and it still stinks.

Nick Larsen
(stingray4540) - F

Locale: South Bay
Re: Really on 04/01/2012 14:10:13 MDT Print View

Lol, I'm gonna agree with Greg, you are being completely unreasonable.

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Locale: Rockies
Re: Re: Really on 04/01/2012 14:14:16 MDT Print View

I'm just amazed people still mail letters.

Lyan Jordan
(redmonk)

Locale: Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem
You stink, Nalgene! on 04/01/2012 14:50:55 MDT Print View

To clean and remove odor,
Oxyclean soak, then Saniclean soak.

Jon Leibowitz
(jleeb) - F - MLife

Locale: 4Corners
meh on 04/01/2012 14:58:33 MDT Print View

I love complaining about corporations as much as the next guy, but in this case, I don't think you should get a refund on this. They had a very long *official* recall a few years ago. They replaced all bottles at the time free of charge (as did Sigg). So, they already did what you are asking, you just missed the boat.

Steofan The Apostate
(simaulius) - F

Locale: Bohemian Alps
It all stinks. on 04/01/2012 15:10:12 MDT Print View

Jon is correct, you missed the big nalgene exchange. Don't give up the fight though because there are still plenty of other products out there that use BPA - like thermal paper/cash register tape. It's all just another example of "better living through chemistry"!

Franco Darioli
(Franco) - M

Locale: Melbourne
You stink, Nalgene! on 04/01/2012 15:59:28 MDT Print View

One point that has not been fully disclosed is that Nalgene containers (yes the ones loaded with BPA) cause aging.
I have used them for the last 10 years or so (could be longer) and there is no doubt in my mind that I look now a lot older than I did then.
Shame on you Nalgene, shame on you ...
Franco

Gregory Petliski
(gregpphoto) - F
re on 04/01/2012 16:25:48 MDT Print View

Gregory

We have Minors reading these Forum channels. Please moderate your language.

Roger Caffin
Online Community Monitor
Backpacking Light

Edited by rcaffin on 04/01/2012 21:57:04 MDT.

Gregory Petliski
(gregpphoto) - F
re on 04/01/2012 16:28:06 MDT Print View

"Don't give up the fight though because there are still plenty of other products out there that use BPA - like thermal paper/cash register tape"

I wasnt aware that register tape was edible. Oh wait, silly me, its not! I was about to believe you cuz you sound like such an expert, I mean, bringing up the fact that something no one would ever put in their bodies has BPA compared to something that will hold water, which DOES go inside of lots of peoples bodies, having BPA in it? Thats genius.

Gregory Petliski
(gregpphoto) - F
re on 04/01/2012 16:30:13 MDT Print View

"Do you not feel that they have given good service and are still functional, giving their moneys worth? How long do you think they should last? How much BPA do you think those bottles have already put into your system? Any negative results that you are aware of?"

Again, I'd really LOVE to see you have that same attitude if your car had a recall. I mean cmon man, you would have had a lot of use out of it, be happy!!!!!!

"Its up to YOU to buy a new car, why should we, the people who made the faulty car, pay for a new one??"

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Re: re on 04/01/2012 16:31:51 MDT Print View

These threads are great for weeding out who and who not to hike with. And your comparison with a car is not really valid. We are talking about a cheap plastic container, not a complex mechanical device designed for moving people. You are unreasonable.

Edited by kthompson on 04/01/2012 16:34:08 MDT.

Will Webster
(WillWeb) - M
Humph on 04/01/2012 16:49:22 MDT Print View

I've got a bunch of old BPA Nalgenes; never occurred to me to ask the mfr to replace them. I got good use out of them; now I have a couple of the new style for canoe outings but I've moved on to lighter options for hiking. The old ones are great for adding weight to a pack for training, and if I ever do have to drink out of one of them the incremental risk (on top of all the other crap which goes in my body every day as part of living here and now) will be pretty close to zero. So chill; accept that you got value for your purchase and move on. Anyway, they didn't say no. Maybe when they get done giggling they'll take your bottles back.

Gregory Petliski
(gregpphoto) - F
re on 04/01/2012 16:53:12 MDT Print View

"We are talking about a cheap plastic container, not a complex mechanical device designed for moving people. You are unreasonable."

Pray tell then, oh wise one, which products are suitable for recalls and which arent? I dont want to be mistaken again!

-----

So the consensus here is that Im being a cry baby, is that it? Would love to give you all something to cry about if I ever got my hands on ya (or for Will, something to giggle about).

::wait for it:: here comes the snooty Connecticut ultra-lite yuppies snickering "oh so immature, snort snort"

From the same characters who also told me no one wants to pick up other peoples garbage cuz its too much for them to carry!
-----------------
Gregory

We have Minors reading these Forum channels. Please moderate your language.

Roger Caffin
Online Community Monitor
Backpacking Light

Edited by rcaffin on 04/01/2012 21:58:05 MDT.

Jeffs Eleven
(WoodenWizard) - F

Locale: Greater Mt Tabor
Re: You stink, Nalgene! on 04/01/2012 17:03:46 MDT Print View

Wow.

Franco Darioli
(Franco) - M

You stink, Nalgene! on 04/01/2012 17:04:18 MDT Print View

Gregory
What is going to kill you before your time is up YOUR attitude in life not the minuscule possibility that you will get poisoned by BPA even if you drink from one bottle 10 times a day for the rest of your life.
Believe it or not the fastest poison is the one you generate yourself.
Having an aggro attitude, worrying too much about insignificant matters kills your immunity system and that will in the end get you.
Not that I even remotely think you will get what I am saying...
Franco

todd harper
(funnymoney) - MLife

Locale: Sunshine State
Re: re on 04/01/2012 17:06:13 MDT Print View

Gregory said:

deleted

Gregory, people disagreeing is one thing. The above poster was correct...you are being unreasonable. And your responses are immature at best.

Please, take a breath, take a day away and chill.

Edited by rcaffin on 04/01/2012 21:58:48 MDT.

Lyan Jordan
(redmonk)

You stink, Nalgene! on 04/01/2012 17:20:28 MDT Print View

Nice tantrum ! Really laid it down.

Nalgene will probably send you a replacement bottle, they are just a large company and it takes time.

Plus, they are probably geared to helping people via phone, or email, and aren't sure what to do with a letter.

Might as well have sent them a telegraph.

Give them 6-8 months and then try email or the phone.

Edited by redmonk on 04/01/2012 17:21:18 MDT.

Eugene Smith
(Eugeneius) - MLife

Locale: Nuevo Mexico
"You stink, Nalgene!" on 04/01/2012 17:41:55 MDT Print View

April fools

?

Jon Leibowitz
(jleeb) - F - MLife

Locale: 4Corners
Re: re on 04/01/2012 17:44:19 MDT Print View

Greg, the cash register receipt is actually our highest exposure to BPA and it enters your body directly through your skin. Handling receipts on a daily basis is way worse for your health than drinking a BPA lined nalgene.

edit: woah, just read this whole thing. Holy temper tantrum!

Edited by jleeb on 04/01/2012 17:47:34 MDT.

Dave T
(DaveT) - F
hiking partners on 04/01/2012 17:53:39 MDT Print View

"These threads are great for weeding out who and who not to hike with. And your comparison with a car is not really valid. We are talking about a cheap plastic container, not a complex mechanical device designed for moving people. You are unreasonable."

Ken,

On another thread a few weeks back, I did a "note to self" not to hike with Mr. Pelitski. My thoughts on the matter have not changed.

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest/Sierra
Re: re on 04/01/2012 18:17:48 MDT Print View

"So the consensus here is that Im being a cry baby, is that it? Would love to give you all something to cry about if I ever got my hands on ya (or for Will, something to giggle about).

::wait for it:: here comes the snooty Connecticut ultra-lite yuppies snickering "oh so immature, snort snort"

From the same characters who also told me no one wants to pick up other peoples garbage cuz its too much for them to carry!

deleted
-------

You need to change your brand of beer, man, cuz whatever you're drinkin' right now is causing your synapses to fire in seriously erratic patterns.

Edited by rcaffin on 04/01/2012 21:59:36 MDT.

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Re: hiking partners on 04/01/2012 18:19:15 MDT Print View

"On another thread a few weeks back, I did a "note to self" not to hike with Mr. Pelitski. My thoughts on the matter have not changed."

It required a note? ;0)

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Re: Nalgene I love you. on 04/01/2012 18:28:48 MDT Print View

Ken

We have Minors reading these Forum channels. Please watch your language.

Roger Caffin
Online Community Monitor
Backpacking Light

Edited by rcaffin on 04/01/2012 21:56:49 MDT.

David Goodyear
(dmgoody) - MLife

Locale: mid-west
Nalgene death on 04/01/2012 18:36:41 MDT Print View

In my lifetime I have survived attacks from four artificial sweeteners, red dye No2, a predicted ice age and global warming (is it here yet?)and now I'm going to die a slow death from my beloved Nalgene.

Bummer dude

Dave

Steven Hanlon
(asciibaron) - F

Locale: Mid Atlantic
wow on 04/01/2012 18:37:55 MDT Print View

BPA hysteria aside, i love that a product that served well for years all the sudden is the debel and needs replacing post haste. i have yet to see a study that proves BPA exposure from a water bottle is harmful. look at our food, but the plastic bottle is dangerous, wow.

April Fools, right?

John Nausieda
(Meander) - MLife

Locale: PNW
Re: Re: Nalgene I love you. on 04/01/2012 18:41:07 MDT Print View

Well, he can always recycle it as a pee or rather p.o.'d bottle.But the damage may already be done. By the way Ken , that would be singing Nalgene to the tune of "Wild Thing" by the Troggs? And not the PC version "Mild Thing" from the 90's?

Tim Zen
(asdzxc57) - F

Locale: MI
Re: You stink, Nalgene! on 04/01/2012 18:44:09 MDT Print View

I think if you look at the BPA issue it was raised long before 2006. You could have bought the HDPE version in 2006. I think this the bottle that got Nalgene out of the lab and onto the trail. Gotta love old school.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Re: hiking partners on 04/01/2012 18:45:09 MDT Print View

I'll hike with you Dave. This should be moved to Chaff. There did it for you.

And there is no clear HDPE. It's white like a milk jug.

http://store.nalgene.com/product-p/32%20ounce%20ultralite%20wide%20mouth.htm

Edited by kthompson on 04/01/2012 19:09:35 MDT.

Adam Barnhart
(abarnhart)

Locale: SW MT
Cheaper than a cardiologist on 04/01/2012 19:28:09 MDT Print View

I'd go ahead and recycle those puppies. Spend the $10 on a new couple of bottles. Fill them with water from one of your favorite streams and think peaceful thoughts.

I'm completely behind companies taking care of their customers. But, don't think $10 is worth anywhere this amount of fuss or stress.

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
Re: Cheaper than a cardiologist on 04/01/2012 20:47:10 MDT Print View

Buy a water bottle or juice bottle for $1. Drink contents. Now you have water bottle.

K C
(KalebC) - F

Locale: South West
Oh my, the content of BPL is spiraling down the drain on 04/01/2012 20:59:54 MDT Print View

Who uses Nalgene bottles backpacking? I hope not you. It seems like my $25 membership is only worth about $2.99 as I read the content of this site. Too many rookies clashed with people that find it easy to judge others behind their keyboard.

Doug Smith
(Jedi5150) - F

Locale: Central CA
Wow on 04/01/2012 21:02:55 MDT Print View

This thread is amazing. I'm really hoping it's an April fools joke. To go from ranting about a $5 dollar bottle that you've used for years to saying you want to throw bottles full of concrete at people's faces is not a rational mind. This guy seriously needs help.

I think somewhere around here I have an appropriate picture for this thread...yep, here it is:

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

Tom Beno
(KillerB) - M

Locale: Pacific Northwest
A thread like this can earn a guy a trail name on 04/01/2012 21:18:58 MDT Print View

Whining, expecting something for nothing, taking no personal responsibility, then spewing a shotgun blast of threats and insults.

Superb.

I dub thee Wanker.

Edited by KillerB on 04/01/2012 21:23:48 MDT.

Daniel Goldenberg
(dag4643)

Locale: Pacific Northwet
Re: You stink, Nalgene! on 04/01/2012 21:34:34 MDT Print View

Confucius say,

He who fill nalgene bottle with cement and throw at face have no pee bottle.

Everett Vinzant
(wn7ant) - MLife

Locale: CDT
Re: re on 04/01/2012 21:36:09 MDT Print View

Just to pour gasoline on this...

To correct your analogy, you want to be around after cars have been recalled, someone didn't get it fixed, and now wants something done about it.

Example:
Let's say Ford recalls a car in 1978. Let's say for the sake of this argument it's called a Pinto. Let's say you just found out about the recall today (April 1 2012), and own a Pinto.

Do you really believe that Ford owes you a new car?

Really?

I mean you REALLY believe that Ford owes you something at this point?

Warren Greer
(WarrenGreer) - F

^^^^^^^^^ on 04/01/2012 21:36:22 MDT Print View

I agree. What a waste of time and energy. And BPL at its worst. Too bad its not April Fools.

Samuel Kau
(Skau) - M

Locale: Southern California
This if just really funny... on 04/01/2012 21:40:53 MDT Print View

I thoroughly enjoyed reading this thread especially about the synapses firing erratically comment!! Thanks!

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Re: Oh my, the content of BPL is spiraling down the drain on 04/01/2012 21:44:31 MDT Print View

Let us not judge BPL by the forum content. Anyone can post.

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Coast
Re: ^^^^^^^^^ on 04/01/2012 21:45:35 MDT Print View

...."Too bad its not April Fools."

Actually, I bet it is April Fools, but still a bit much.

Andy F
(AndyF) - M

Locale: Midwest/Midatlantic
BPA on 04/02/2012 08:42:15 MDT Print View

Oh no! The BPA is really getting to us and affecting our mind!

Who would have thought that a synthetic hormone would make us so hormonal?

Edited by AndyF on 04/02/2012 08:42:49 MDT.

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Re: BPA on 04/02/2012 17:30:06 MDT Print View

"Oh no! The BPA is really getting to us and affecting our mind!"

Now you've got me wondering whether, for those of us who foreswear the use of Nalgene, it's actually a steady diet of BPL that affecting our hormonal balance. :(

Eric Dysart
(ewdysar) - F

Re: Re: ^^^^^^^^^ on 04/02/2012 18:06:50 MDT Print View

I'm with Kat. I read this as an April Fools. Have you noticed that April Fools hasn't really translated very well to the internet? A rare few have done it well, but stuff like this just falls flat.

Jeff Twerdun
(westcoasthiker) - MLife

Locale: Vancouver Island Canada
"You stink, Nalgene!" on 04/02/2012 20:14:59 MDT Print View

Gregory, you remind me of a guy i worked with a couple of years ago in construction..... he, at some point in his life, cut off 2 of his fingers(being careless,his own fault) and got a hold of Watson glove company, and informed them that if they did not custom make him some gloves, that if the standard gloves they sold got him into some kind of other accident, that he was going to sue. I thought that this was one of the most bizzare things i had heard. To my suprise, Watson, sent him a letter stating that they needed a "pattern" for his messed up hand, he traced the hand out(all 2 fingers and thumb) and sent it back to them. A month latter, the guy received a CASE of custom gloves,along with a letter stating anytime he needed more to contact them(free gloves for life)! Point is, Greg, stranger things have happened!

Nathan Watts
(7sport) - MLife
Re: "You stink, Nalgene!" on 04/02/2012 21:39:55 MDT Print View

So Jeff, did he go on to complain about how long it took them to deliver his gloves or perhaps that they were the wrong color? Makes me sick. People like that lose out in the end though, or at least that's what I believe.

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Locale: Wisconsin
Personal accountability on 04/02/2012 22:19:07 MDT Print View

So few have it.

It's always someone else's fault or problem, isn't it?

Franco Darioli
(Franco) - M

You stink, Nalgene! on 04/02/2012 23:49:36 MDT Print View

April fools
I don't think so....
If you read my first comment it should be obvious that I tried to lighten up the thread and give the OP a way out.
He chose the other way and started to insult others on a few different posts.
That has absolutely nothing to do with the spirit of April Fool...
Franco

Dirk Rabdau
(dirk9827) - F

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: You stink, Nalgene! on 04/03/2012 00:37:50 MDT Print View

I have no idea of what to make of his outburst. I will give him credit for one thing - while it is easy to maintain some anonymity on message boards, he makes no effort to do so. He links his profile to his domain, which is also registered to the same name with an address and phone number. So I hope it is a joke - albeit one in poor taste - rather than standard operating procedure.

Gregory Petliski
(gregpphoto) - F
Reflection on 04/29/2012 22:55:24 MDT Print View

I have not come to this website since my last anger filled post, for which I really don't apologize because I feel many of you are hypocritical, for one, especially in regards to my garbage wars post. However, I have thought about it, and heres my take: I am a photographer. If I sell someone a print, that print is going to last well beyond the life of the person buying it. And if it doesn't, I'm going to apologize to them profusely and replace it at no charge. So thats where I'm coming from. I expect products that are billed as near indestructable to be just that, and if they are food grade items, to be safe to consume and/or consume from. If BPA is even remotely linked to being a carcinogen, I feel its Nalgenes duty to replace ALL bottles that contain it. Its their fault for using it in the first place. Remember, their original style bottles, made from HPDE, are BPA free. It is the newer colored bottles that had BPA, so its something that Nalgene decided to add in addition to their non-BPA bottles. I call BS. To go back to my photographic example, if the print I sell or the frame I use happens to be acidic and the print yellows, thats MY fault and MY responsibility to rectify it. Its too bad major businesses these days can get away with such standards of practice.

Thats my 2c.

"I have no idea of what to make of his outburst. I will give him credit for one thing - while it is easy to maintain some anonymity on message boards, he makes no effort to do so. He links his profile to his domain, which is also registered to the same name with an address and phone number. So I hope it is a joke - albeit one in poor taste - rather than standard operating procedure."

I'm an Italian from Queens. That should explain things.

Edited by gregpphoto on 04/29/2012 23:00:28 MDT.

Rakesh Malik
(Tamerlin)

Locale: Cascadia
Re: re on 04/29/2012 23:18:51 MDT Print View

"So the consensus here is that Im being a cry baby, is that it?"

They're being exceptionally kind. While it's actually true that BPA is bad for you, it's also true that most people have had their Nalgene bottles replaced. I received a recall notice several years ago, and replaced my Nalgene bottle with a BPA-free Nalgene bottle. If you're only now figuring this BPA thing out, you have other problems.

Rakesh Malik
(Tamerlin)

Re: Reflection on 04/29/2012 23:24:40 MDT Print View

"I'm an Italian from Queens. That should explain things."

Are you trying to insult the Italians, or the people from Queens?

Dean F.
(acrosome) - MLife

Locale: Back in the Front Range
Self-deprecation on 04/30/2012 09:29:34 MDT Print View

Oh, give him a LITTLE credit for engaging in some self-deprecation. That's at least an improvement over deprecating everyone else...

And, I'd like to point out that not very long ago I was attacked when I called someone unreasonable for complaining that MLD wouldn't replace a backpack that they had MODIFIED- the implication being that I was wrong and MLD should replace the pack. The argument was that MLD had sent the wrong-sized pack and it wasn't the buyer's fault that he didn't try it on before modifying it.

Now everyone is jumping all over Greg for wanting his (arguably unsafe) Nalgenes replaced. Wuh?

Don't get me wrong- I think Greg is being mildly unreasonable, too. As well as one of the most abrasive BPLers I've seen. Very entertaining thread, though. :)

greg jenkins
(OCPik4chu) - F

Locale: CO, Rockies
Re: Self-deprecation on 04/30/2012 10:25:37 MDT Print View

@Dean,

No, he is being jumped on for purchasing BPA ridden nalgenes AFTER the date of the recall and blaming the company for not replacing them. Thus making him a complete Hypocrite as I read it

He is also being jumped on for insulting people on this board and being in general extremely rude for being called out on the aforementioned issue.

There is no legit explanation or justification for his behavior.

And per your comment I do not remember the post you are referring to but it was the buyer's fault for not trying on the pack before buying it and then modifying it instead of returning it is just plain idiotic. Guess some people's opinions have changed but mine sure havent. I wish people would take responsibility for their own actions, we would be doing much better if they would.

Nalgene is an excellent company and (if you are civil) takes care of almost anything you ask them for. They have replaced several bottles for myself and others that have been damaged or broken even if we admit it to being our fault (accidentally dropping a full bottle off a cliff for example) They mean lifetime warranty when they say it...

Scott Simcox
(Simco) - F - M

Locale: Nashville
Re: Reflection on 04/30/2012 10:32:06 MDT Print View

Unstable people are one of the best things about the internet.

Gregory Petliski
(gregpphoto) - F
re on 04/30/2012 13:02:13 MDT Print View

I do not wish to reignite this, but I feel I must assert how incorrect you are, Greg Jenkins. You say I was being jumped on because insulted people on the board. Tell me then, why was the very first post in reply to my topic this one:

"Well did you ever stop and think how long you have had those bottles? Do you not feel that they have given good service and are still functional, giving their moneys worth? How long do you think they should last? How much BPA do you think those bottles have already put into your system? Any negative results that you are aware of? Is $10 worth all the angst?"

If you read my initial post, you will find not one insulting remark. Yet I was immediately met with the attitude best exemplified by the post above. But what you said at the end darn near makes my blood boil.

"They have replaced several bottles for myself and others that have been damaged or broken even if we admit it to being our fault (accidentally dropping a full bottle off a cliff for example) They mean lifetime warranty when they say it..."

SO.. on one hand, I'm unreasonable for wanting a replacement for a MANUFACTURING DEFECT, yet when you admitted to breaking one yourself, that warrants a replacement????? Are you off your rocker?? I had to reread what you said to make sure I wasn't seeing things. Suspected defects are a no go, but if you break it yourself, its ok!

Edited by gregpphoto on 04/30/2012 13:09:41 MDT.

Rakesh Malik
(Tamerlin)

Re: re on 04/30/2012 13:21:22 MDT Print View

"SO.. on one hand, I'm unreasonable for wanting a replacement for a MANUFACTURING DEFECT, yet when you admitted to breaking one yourself, that warrants a replacement????? Are you off your rocker?? I had to reread what you said to make sure I wasn't seeing things. Suspected defects are a no go, but if you break it yourself, its ok!"

Reality check time:
1) a lot of your posts were moderated, so obviously you've been the offender quite often here
2) it's not a manufacturing defect, it's a widespread industrial blunder (yes, the health effects of BPA are real)
3) Nalgene recalled their bottles due to the BPA thing in 2007 or early 2008, and offered free replacements (I got mine replaced)

David Maxwell
(DavidMaxwell)

Locale: eastern, tn
re re on 04/30/2012 15:58:42 MDT Print View

I'm save'n my and still useing them. Hopefully someday they will be a collectors item .. Then I'll be in the big bucks .. haha

Dave T
(DaveT) - F
unstable on 04/30/2012 16:33:50 MDT Print View

I for one am glad Greg P. is back.

I especially missed how we would threaten to physically assault people that disagreed with him about a $10 bottle replacement.

I missed that.

And now he's back so I don't have to miss it any longer.

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Re: unstable on 04/30/2012 16:47:25 MDT Print View

Tut, tut, Dave; if you feed the trolls, they become habituated and we all know where that leads...... ;0)

Rakesh Malik
(Tamerlin)

Re: unstable on 04/30/2012 17:23:07 MDT Print View

"I especially missed how we would threaten to physically assault people that disagreed with him about a $10 bottle replacement."

Wow, I missed the real fireworks, eh?

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Re: unsettled on 04/30/2012 18:02:11 MDT Print View

Welcome back!

I am curious though. Did you ever get a response from Nalgene? Did you try contacting them through the email link on the site yet?

Edited by kthompson on 04/30/2012 18:29:51 MDT.

Ken K
(TheFatBoy) - F

Locale: St. Louis
So what's the problem with BPA, anyway? on 04/30/2012 21:24:18 MDT Print View

I don't get it, folks, I've been using BPA-laced bottles for years, and there's absolutely nothing wrong with my momma was a Gay Jewish black man sweet baby back Louisville bell-bottoms abstract reality... ABSTRACT REALITY!!!! STOP! TOUCHING! MY! GOPHER!!! Shhhh....

Gregory Petliski
(gregpphoto) - F
re on 04/30/2012 22:13:17 MDT Print View

"I especially missed how we would threaten to physically assault people that disagreed with him about a $10 bottle replacement."

Ohh, eh oh, you talkin to me? Are you talking to me? Theres no one else here.. Do I amuse you, like a clown? How am I funny?

Hell yea man, I don't mind getting into a scrap. Its not about the $10 water bottle, its about wiping the indignant smirk off the faces of people like you. So what if my response is cave man? Were animals bro. If I wanna kick your butt I'm gonna do it unless you stop me, or on the account of being a wimp, call the cops. Thats how governments operate, why can't people? Im not suggesting we kill each other over minor quarrels but a lil fisticuffs is good for a man.

Scott Simcox
(Simco) - F - M

Locale: Nashville
Re: re on 04/30/2012 22:16:41 MDT Print View

You're not going to fight anyone.

Gregory Petliski
(gregpphoto) - F
re on 04/30/2012 22:18:44 MDT Print View

"You're not going to fight anyone."

Youre right, because I live in New Jersey and I don't think the people I would like to punch on here do. So yea, bummer :(

Lyan Jordan
(redmonk)

You stink, Nalgene! on 04/30/2012 22:22:54 MDT Print View

Ha ha ha

Oh haw, Internet tuff guy.

Ha ha ha.

I bet that your letter is getting passed around, and the first person who takes it seriously has to deal with your case.

Craig W.
(xnomanx) - F - M
Re: You stink, Nalgene! on 04/30/2012 22:30:46 MDT Print View

OK, someone is obviously going to have to fight this guy.

Pistols or sabers?

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Re: You stink, Nalgene! on 04/30/2012 22:33:06 MDT Print View

Hmm. I have a brother in Jersey. Another reason to visit. I'll bring some bottles for you.

byl

Violence is the answer found easily by the immature mind. But so is this.

Edited by kthompson on 04/30/2012 22:38:31 MDT.

Rakesh Malik
(Tamerlin)

Re: re on 04/30/2012 22:44:05 MDT Print View

"Youre right, because I live in New Jersey and I don't think the people I would like to punch on here do. So yea, bummer :("

Too bad. I could use a bit of practice with someone who isn't one of my students.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Re: Re: re on 04/30/2012 22:44:44 MDT Print View

Road trip!

David Thomas
(DavidinKenai) - MLife

Locale: North Woods. Far North.
Re: Re: You stink, Nalgene! on 04/30/2012 22:45:17 MDT Print View

>"Pistols or sabers?"

Squirt guns loaded with pure, liquid BPA at 10 paces.

Gregory Petliski
(gregpphoto) - F
re on 04/30/2012 23:25:48 MDT Print View

"OK, someone is obviously going to have to fight this guy.

Pistols or sabers?"

Sabres, clearly, as thats much more honorable and manly. Or the super soakers with BPA is cool too.

"Too bad. I could use a bit of practice with someone who isn't one of my students."

Not for nothing, but you can't account for streets. You might have training, but I might have a motorcycle chain! hahaha

Edited by gregpphoto on 04/30/2012 23:28:09 MDT.

Rakesh Malik
(Tamerlin)

Re: re on 04/30/2012 23:30:19 MDT Print View

"Not for nothing, but you can't account for streets. You might have training, but I might have a motorcycle chain! hahaha"

Good luck with that...

Erik Basil
(EBasil) - M

Locale: Atzlan
Hey, wait... on 05/01/2012 07:37:16 MDT Print View

So, uh, my OG, translucent white Nalgenes with the big screw top aren't BPA-laden because they pre-date the deadly products that were recalled selectively for those not in New Jersey?

Not bad. My collection of Nalgenes includes the old, never-die whitish ones that have been frozen, dropped, dipped, and hauled all over and a few of the candy-colored translucents with BSA logos on them (but that came with no-BPA stickers). Now, I can feel good about using the old ones at summer camp again.

Right after I douse myself with Jungle Juice.

--Don't worry about internet jihadi with "motorcycle chains". It's an ultralighter site: probably a light nylon chain, anyway. One blast from Hiker Jim's latest manipulation of illicit gas canisters onto Fisher Price camp stove heads and he'll melt like a witch under water. --

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

I'm on 05/01/2012 18:25:55 MDT Print View

ROTFL. Too freakin' much.

Lee Fitler
(tdilf) - F
Any moderaters out there? on 05/01/2012 20:21:26 MDT Print View

Time to close this thread... please.

Rakesh Malik
(Tamerlin)

Re: Hey, wait... on 05/02/2012 00:22:06 MDT Print View

"--Don't worry about internet jihadi with "motorcycle chains". It's an ultralighter site: probably a light nylon chain, anyway. One blast from Hiker Jim's latest manipulation of illicit gas canisters onto Fisher Price camp stove heads and he'll melt like a witch under water. --"

Worry? I'm just bummed that I won't get a chance to get some practice time in with someone I don't have to hold back with. I have to admit though, I'd rather get my hands on a congressthing.

(With their "ethics" they don't qualify as life, let alone as humans.)

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
?? on 05/02/2012 01:40:17 MDT Print View

This is the most incredible asinine thread I have ever read :(

Devon Cloud
(devoncloud)

Locale: Southwest
This has been an insight to human behavior :) on 05/02/2012 09:47:13 MDT Print View

hmm, a thread about almost nothing on a backpacking light forum and it has more posts that the stuff that supposedly we are all interested in.
This is a sight that is riddled with people that like to speak their minds in the rudest of ways when they disagree. I was told to have thicker skin concerning the way I was treated on one of my threads when I did not correctly speak fuel-eze language (i certainly did not threaten to hit someone in the face with a cement-filled Nalgene bottle). While I don't act like this guy and threaten people (nor would I ever start), I can relate a bit to what he is saying even though he has made himself look like the biggest fool on the planet in the process.

Yet still, here is this tool out-doing the people with "thick skin" acting completely inapropriately while everyone else stoops to his level. I think this is now the longest post since I have been paying attention to the forums which admitedly is not long at all. Everyone has to take a shot at him (some multiple shots just to make sure they got under his skin). Even me I guess since I am posting right now and not being very nice ;0P

Not sure what this says about us but is says something. Maybe we all need to join the UFC hahaha!!!

Edited by devoncloud on 05/02/2012 09:51:49 MDT.

Zack Freije
(oldskool) - F

Locale: Ohio
Re: Re: You stink, Nalgene! on 05/02/2012 13:03:01 MDT Print View

"You know what stinks? This:

No amount of scrubbing, soap or boiling water will get the stink out. The only thing I found that works is baking soda, and that's temporary. I wish I could get it replaced, but that company now uses cheaper plastic that cracks easily, along with lower quality manufacturing that tends to cause leaks. So if you crank on the lid to stop the leak, it'll crack, and it still stinks"

This works great for me:
http://www.amazon.com/Zyliss-Quick-Blend-Shaker-Red/dp/B000N3BLXO

Zyliss quick blend shaker. It attaches to a standard blender, then just screw the cap on and go.

Susan Papuga
(veganaloha) - M

Locale: USA
nalgene recall on 05/02/2012 14:20:14 MDT Print View

i have several of the older bottles and was never aware of the recall, but i figure I've gotten my money's worth from a product that i've had for twenty years and still works just fine. I bought new BPA free bottles and simply use the old ones to store small, loose things in, like batteries, jewelery, whatever.

wrt to some of the comments in this thread, how unfortunate, but I guess there's a reason some people don't post their own picture.

Dave T
(DaveT) - F
teddy. on 05/02/2012 14:57:18 MDT Print View

teddy.

you REALLY need to delete that personal info from here immediately.

or a moderator needs to.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Re: This has been an insight to human behavior :) on 05/02/2012 15:54:32 MDT Print View

Devon. I followed that thread where you met --B.G.-- Not always the best way to be introduced to BPL. This particular thread? Take it for what it is worth. Got a nice PM from the OP. Everything is fine on my side of the fence. Sure we can be rude at times. But at least this forum is not so heavily moderated that all post read like they are from an alternate reality where everything is rainbows and unicorns. You have to seek out the positive. Just like life.

BER ---
(BER) - MLife

Locale: Wisconsin
You stink, Nalgene! on 05/02/2012 17:05:03 MDT Print View

Damn!

I though I might find rainbows and unicorns here.
Unfortunately I just lost 10 more minutes of my life I will never regain...on crap.

Devon Cloud
(devoncloud)

Locale: Southwest
@ Ken Thompson on 05/02/2012 21:40:26 MDT Print View

Ken, perhaps I may come off as being upset but in reality I am not... in fact I like the confrontation. That being said, I don't back off from much. B-G tried to put me underneath him and I let him know what I felt about his lack of social skills. I don't hold it against him though, we had our two cents to say and it's over as far as I am concerned and he was correct in what he was saying he just went about it incorrectly.
In the context of this thread however, I did not say what I said because I was upset... I said it because I saw the hipocracy of this particular group who loves to jump on anyone they perceive to show weakness on a certain subject to call someone else out exhibiting the same behavior (all be it a more colorful version). I don't think it is a flaw of this group... I think that is human nature, which is what I wanted to point out.
Trust me, I enjoy life to the fullest, and aside from Bob's inadequate social skills I am loving the forum ;o)

Franco Darioli
(Franco) - M

You stink, Nalgene! on 05/02/2012 23:47:35 MDT Print View

The only fair way to settle this would be to engage Gregory and a representative from Nalgene in the traditional Fish Dance.
I vote for Gregory to play the Michael Palin part (on the right side of the screen but not the bright side of life) and the Nalgene guy to play the John Cleese bit.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9SSOWORzw4
Franco

Kier Selinsky
(Kieran) - F

Locale: Seattle, WA
Wow on 05/03/2012 12:01:10 MDT Print View

I haven't paid attention to this thread till today. Quite the show. I'll never understand why someone would be willing to commit felonious assault just because of a few words on an internet forum.

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Re: @ Ken Thompson on 05/03/2012 17:35:36 MDT Print View

"aside from Bob's inadequate social skills I am loving the forum ;o)"

Eventually, you'll come to love them as well, Devon. When things get boring, they make a great foil for forum humor in the dead of winter. Up here in the dismal Pacific NW, the temptation becomes irresistable around the first of the year, but it's all in good fun. Well mostly. ;0)

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Re: Wow on 05/03/2012 17:45:06 MDT Print View

"I'll never understand why someone would be willing to commit felonious assault just because of a few words on an internet forum."

He'd have to wing that concrete filled Nalgene a looonnnnng way to do it. That's the beauty of the Internet. He's just venting, as are a few others. Cabin fever reaches a fever pitch here just about the time everyone's sap starts to flow again, sort of like foul tempered bears emerging from hibernation. So far, no one's been killed or sued. Still, it can grate on the more sensitive souls among us, and on almost all of us if it goes on long enough. Roger C is pretty good about stepping in when it reaches that stage. This one seems to be dying a natural death, so I doubt he'll be forced to swallow his scruples about inhibiting free speech this time around. Trust me when I say there have been far wilder and woolier threads than this one, some of which now exist only in our "clan memory", having long since been scrubbed fron the server.

G Watson
(twiglegs)

Locale: Uk
Snacks anyone. ? on 05/03/2012 18:07:10 MDT Print View

Jeez, only just seen this, could have funded so much new kit if i'd seen this earlier and set up a popcorn stand. ;>)

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: Snacks anyone. ? on 05/04/2012 00:00:24 MDT Print View

> could have funded so much new kit if i'd seen this earlier and set up a popcorn stand
Oh no you don't! That's MY privilege!
But I didn't think of it. Go you halves? :-)

Cheers

Edited by rcaffin on 05/04/2012 00:00:51 MDT.