Grip-ifying my HTC Sensation
Display Avatars Sort By:
Ian Schumann
(freeradical) - M

Locale: Central TX
Grip-ifying my HTC Sensation on 03/30/2012 12:24:25 MDT Print View

This could be a bit off-piste, but the question is simple enough. I've got an HTC Sensation, one of these fantastic Android superphone things. Love it. Trouble is, the phone is too slippery, and I nearly drop it all the time. I could add a case to fix this, but ... adding a case makes it disappointingly bulky. What I want to do instead is to just make the shell of the phone itself more grippy!

My first thought was to thin some SilNet with paint thinner, and carefully brush the likely contact areas of my phone with that slurry. Chances are I'd want it thinner even than what I would do for sealing a silnylon tarp, right?

My question is -- do we think this will work? I don't know what SilNet sticks to, aside from silnylon. Should I use SeamGrip instead, with the same procedure? I haven't a clue what the shell of my phone is made of. ABS, polycarbonate, HDPE ... anybody know what's likely?

We're all nerds together here, so I expect someone to have some useful opinions about this. Thanks for whatever!

Edited by freeradical on 03/30/2012 12:25:33 MDT.

Brad Walker
(brawa)

Locale: SoCal
Re: Grip-ifying my HTC Sensation on 03/30/2012 13:00:11 MDT Print View

Dip

Kier Selinsky
(Kieran) - F

Locale: Seattle, WA
Sugru on 03/30/2012 13:03:26 MDT Print View

Sugru is a pretty fun product (http://sugru.com/). It's non-toxic latex that you can mold on and then leave overnight to cure. I've used it with a fair amount of success.

Edited by Kieran on 03/30/2012 13:04:44 MDT.

Ian Schumann
(freeradical) - M

Re: sugur and/or plast-dip on 03/30/2012 13:10:48 MDT Print View

Thanks guys, I've taken a look at both of those, in fact looked at Sugru prior to posting. Plasti-dip looks like a potential as long as I can smear it on thinly enough that it's worth the try. Sugru, I'm not sure I can actually apply in a small enough fragment to really preserve the slim size of my phone, as it is.

In summary, if I was going to accept adding some bulk to the phone, I might as well just get a thin silicone case. What I'm wanting to do instead is to apply a micro-layer of something rubbery. Maybe Plasti-dip is the way to go. Wish it could come in other colors.

Anyone have any comments on SilNet or SeamGrip?

Ian Schumann
(freeradical) - M

Re: Plasti-dip on 03/30/2012 13:12:29 MDT Print View

Edit: looks like plasti-dip does come in other colors.

Even still.

b willi jones
(mrjones) - F

Locale: best place in the world !?
self stick grip strips on 03/30/2012 13:23:18 MDT Print View

not 100% sure of the name or if its still available, but there use to be a product around that was for use in bath tubs to make the floor non-slip if you had a shower over bath type set up. it was quite a thin, super sticky, inch wide grippy tape that came in foot long strips. you might try a local hardware or plumbing store. could be a less messy way to do it, nice clean lines, clear finish

ed hyatt
(edhyatt) - MLife

Locale: The North; UK
Grip-ifying my HTC Sensation on 03/31/2012 01:09:40 MDT Print View

You could always cross-hatch score it finely with the point of a knife - I do this for my slippy mini-bic lighters; works well.

Mike W
(rcmike) - MLife

Locale: California
Re: Re: sugur and/or plast-dip on 03/31/2012 01:51:07 MDT Print View

"as long as I can smear it on thinly enough"

Do you need a thin layer over a large area or will smaller "dots" of Plasti-dip or Sugru work just as well?

Mike

Heather Hohnholz
(Hawke) - M
Grip tape on 03/31/2012 05:47:05 MDT Print View

Like you use on hockey sticks and skateboards. I use it on my firearm grips as well. Here's a website picked at random: http://www.noskidsafety.com/?gclid=CKqSg5SIka8CFWUaQgodB3QZyg

Jeff LaVista
(LaVista) - F
stipple it on 03/31/2012 10:39:56 MDT Print View

Get a replacement battery cover and stipple it with a soldering iron or use grip tape.