Forum Index » Make Your Own Gear » Grosgrain adjustment with ladderlocs, triglides, etc.

Display Avatars Sort By:
Colin Krusor
(ckrusor) - M

Locale: Northwest US
Grosgrain adjustment with ladderlocs, triglides, etc. on 03/30/2012 12:05:53 MDT Print View

I'm working on a pack, and I'd like to use grosgrain rather than webbing for some of the parts that are lightly loaded but must be adjustable. I've considered alternatives like cordage, and I still feel that adjustable grosgrain would be ideal.

In my review of old BPL threads, there seems to be some disagreement about whether ladderloc and triglide-type adjusters can be used with grosgrain. I've considered doubling up the grosgrain where it passes through the hardware, but if this is necessary I'm inclined to just accept the weight penalty of webbing.

Are there any ladderloc or triglide-type adjusters that will work (securely) with grosgrain?

Update: I just realized that ladderloc-adjustment of grosgrain is common on shell gloves. Several OR shell gloves use small ladderlocs for this. Is there a source for hardware like this?

Updateupdate: I just ordered a handful of ITW Nexus waveloc laderlocs from Chris Zimmer. I know that Javan Dempsey has reported using these successfully with grosgrain, while others have had them slip. Is there a source for grosgrain that has a toothy surface texture that is less likely to slip?

Edited by ckrusor on 03/30/2012 13:00:59 MDT.

Michael Duke
(mpd1690) - F
Re: Grosgrain adjustment with ladderlocs, triglides, etc. on 03/30/2012 12:55:19 MDT Print View

The weight penalty is really pretty negligible I believe. I would just use webbing.

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
Re: Re: Grosgrain adjustment with ladderlocs, triglides, etc. on 03/30/2012 13:10:55 MDT Print View

Some combinations of grosgrain and ladderlocs work and others don't

You could buy webbing and grosgrain, if the grosgrain doesn't work then use the webbing

But, yeah, not that much difference in weight

John Donewar
(Newton) - MLife

Locale: Southeastern Louisiana
Re: Grosgrain adjustment with ladderlocs, triglides, etc. on 03/30/2012 13:29:47 MDT Print View

Colin,

FWIW I'd PM Javan and ask where he sourced the grosgrain that worked with the wavelocs.

I'm not saying that it won't work but when I tried the wavelocs with grosgrain I experienced no joy.;-(

I had two sources of grosgrain as I remember. The first was Quest and the second was some PIF grosgrain from Lawson Kline. As I remember it, the Quest grosgrain was the one I tried with the wavelocs. I don't remember ever trying the grosgrain from Lawson with the wavelocs.

I have since decided to use the medium weight nylon webbing from Quest on all my adjustable webbing. On my son's day pack that I just finished I used this webbing and the last two wavelocs that I had on hand. They tightened easily and released just as easily. It was a pleasant surprise.

FYI I also tried the lightweight nylon webbing with the wavelocs and was not satisfied with their ability to maintain an adjustment.

A PM to Chris Zimmer may also be of some benefit. I'd ask him if he uses the wavelocs with grosgrain and where he sources it.

Party On,

Newton

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: Grosgrain adjustment with ladderlocs, triglides, etc. on 03/30/2012 14:42:47 MDT Print View

Hi Colin

It isn't so much the eight of the ribbon/grosgrain/webbing which matters; it's the design of the ladderloc. If the ladderloc has rounded corners on the bars it will slip fairly easily. If the bars have sharp corners it will likely grip. You need to look closely at the bars, which may be possible on the Nexus web site but is usually impossible on the reseller web sites.

Cheers

Terry Trimble
(socal-nomad) - F

Locale: North San Diego county
Grosgrain adjustment with ladderlocs, triglides, etc on 03/31/2012 10:32:35 MDT Print View

The ITW /Nexus Apex WaveLoc series works with cross grain ribbon. They can be purchased by someone that has a account with Itw/nexus the minimum purchase is $100.00. You can purchase less for a surcharge. But in my opinion it does not work very well. You can get the same results from flat nylon webbing. Or even lighter with Lineloc 3 with 1.75mm sterling cord compression system.

http://global.itwnexus.com/content/apex-waveloc-ll-dual

Terry

Thomas Budge
(budgthom) - F

Locale: Idaho
Related question on 03/31/2012 17:53:30 MDT Print View

Is grosgrain durable enough to use for non-adjusting straps like haul loops, daisy chains, etc?

John Almond
(FLRider) - F

Locale: The Southeast
Re: Related question on 03/31/2012 18:09:36 MDT Print View

Depends on the weight put on it. I'd trust it for light-duty daisy chains and the like, but not for a haul loop. I figure if the force on it's going to be below five pounds, it should hold just fine.

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Re: Related question on 03/31/2012 18:52:42 MDT Print View

I think grosgrain is way stronger than you need for just about anything.

The only time I have a problem is when it slips in a ladderlock or whatever.

But, I understand that most people would probably use webbing in many high use applications, this is just me.

Dustin Short
(upalachango) - MLife
Re: Re: Related question on 03/31/2012 19:06:22 MDT Print View

I agree with Jerry. Grosgrain should be strong enough for most applications. The problem is "how long" will it be strong enough. It's thickness means that it will abrade and wear out much sooner than a webbing will. Also should it get a small cut it will be structurally weaker than a similarly cut piece of webbing, depending on the weave pattern used.

So for light application where short life cycle isn't so bad, you can get by with grosgrain for near anything, just don't expect to pass the gear on to your kids...next season.

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Related question on 03/31/2012 20:45:06 MDT Print View

I guess I never use anything long enough to wear out before I make something new : )

Colin Krusor
(ckrusor) - M

Locale: Northwest US
Grosgrain on 03/31/2012 23:52:04 MDT Print View

I have some 1" grosgrain that I can't break with my hands. The tensile strength is probably greater than 150 lbs. On this pack I'll be using a lot of 3/4" grosgrain, and I only plan to use webbing in two places, at the major load bearing connection between the lower ends of the straps and the bottom of the pack.

My current running pack is an Ultimate Direction Wasp, and I'm attempting to make a pack that is roughly the same weight but bigger (about 1400 cu in., for overnights and weekends). It is a high and narrow race-vest-style pack with big mesh pockets on the front of the straps and no hipbelt. I hope to control bounce with a profusion of grosgrain cinching straps (under the arms, around the pack, etc.) and two sternum straps. The grosgrain will be attached to the pack via hard plastic "loops", so they can be easily cut away and replaced if they wear out due to abrasion against adjustment hardware.