Forum Index » Chaff » REI and Bear Grylls promo products

Display Avatars Sort By:
Roger Dodger
(RogerDodger) - F

Locale: Wess Siide
REI and Bear Grylls promo products on 03/30/2012 10:19:52 MDT Print View

At the REI checkout last week, a kid with his mom looking at the BG display rack, he was throwing a tantrum because he wanted some of that fifty buck flint fire starter gimmick gear in orange plastic.

I told the kid to go to the other isle and get a fire starter for five bucks. And that BG is a gimmick entertainer, the Discovery channel had apologized for the show's deception and recently canned him for business reasons.

I also wrote a note to REI's public affairs, through the website comments, to tell them about my dissatisfaction with endorsing BG gimmicks gear.

End of rant.

Stephen Barber
(grampa) - MLife

Locale: SoCal
So? on 03/30/2012 10:55:52 MDT Print View

So did the kid get the $5 fire starter????

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Coast
Re: REI and Bear Grylls promo products on 03/30/2012 10:58:54 MDT Print View

Are you blaming REI and/or BG for the kid having a tantrum?

eric chan
(bearbreeder) - F
15$ on 03/30/2012 11:06:30 MDT Print View

its 15$ ...

http://www.rei.com/product/830348/gerber-bear-grylls-survival-series-fire-starter

and while im not the biggest fan of mister grylls ... if REI decides to carry his products its up to them ... its not like they are getting rid of everything but his products ... dont like it, dont buy it

kids that throw tantrums will do so regardless of mister grylls

L Miller
(LMiller) - F

Locale: Maryland
Re: Re: REI and Bear Grylls promo products on 03/30/2012 11:08:28 MDT Print View

The Bear Grylls fire starter is $15 and according to the website REI doesn't offer your mythical $5 fire starter, but let's not let facts get in the way of our outrage.

http://www.rei.com/product/830348/gerber-bear-grylls-survival-series-fire-starter

Also, you forgot to include Gerber in your internet ramblings.

Roger Dodger
(RogerDodger) - F

Re: So? (Re: Stephen Barber) on 03/30/2012 11:47:38 MDT Print View

No, the kid did not get the BG product. Other people in the long checkout line chimed in and ridiculed the BG promos. The mom then thanked people in line and told her son "listen to these people"

Thank you for reading and responding.

Edited by RogerDodger on 03/30/2012 12:06:13 MDT.

Roger Dodger
(RogerDodger) - F

Re: Re: REI and Bear Grylls promo products (Re: Kat P. ) on 03/30/2012 11:48:16 MDT Print View

There is no blame.

It's an observation.

Edited by RogerDodger on 03/30/2012 12:06:47 MDT.

Roger Dodger
(RogerDodger) - F

Re: 15$ (Re: eric chan ) on 03/30/2012 11:50:34 MDT Print View

"if REI decides to carry his products its up to them"

I disagree. REI is not like most retailers. Their business model is a Co-op, with the members technically acting as single-share holders.

REI does listen to their members for feedback.

In my communication to REI, my complaint was regarding REI endorsing BG via products.

I received email response back from REI that the feedback is escalated to the review of their buyers.

Edited by RogerDodger on 03/30/2012 12:11:49 MDT.

Roger Dodger
(RogerDodger) - F

Re: Re: Re: REI and Bear Grylls promo products ( Re: L Miller) on 03/30/2012 11:53:19 MDT Print View

your product price statements on this thread are incorrect.

http://www.rei.com/product/407152/magnesium-fire-starting-tool

It sells for $7.95, and with the on-going sale 20% off, it's $6

The product the kid was after is in fact $50 to $60
http://www.rei.com/product/816234/gerber-bear-grylls-ultimate-knife
it's a knife and flint.

Edited by RogerDodger on 03/30/2012 12:09:04 MDT.

Jeffs Eleven
(WoodenWizard) - F

Locale: Greater Mt Tabor
Re: REI and Bear Grylls promo products on 03/30/2012 12:21:45 MDT Print View

Roger, If you don't like The BG stuff, you don't like marketing.
If you don't like marketing, you don't like capitalism.
If you don't like Capitalism, you don't like America.
If you don't like America... well mister you'd better start walkin'!

Hey, Everybody! Roger Dodger hates America!!

:) :) :)

eric chan
(bearbreeder) - F
rei on 03/30/2012 12:31:43 MDT Print View

you do know that REI also sells the ridiculously priced UST firestarter for 25$ and the LMF 2.0 for 15$, same as the bear grylls one ...

http://www.rei.com/product/775077/ultimate-survival-technologies-strikeforce-fire-starter

http://www.rei.com/product/810628/light-my-fire-firesteel-scout-20-fire-starter

i assumed you wrote to REI about those overpriced items as well ...

i should probably write to REI to stop carrying ridiculous outdoorsy $$$$ clothing ;)

Roger Dodger
(RogerDodger) - F

Re: rei (RE: eric chan) on 03/30/2012 12:40:57 MDT Print View

My complaint to REI was regarding endorsing a gimmick entertainer product, not regarding pricing.

Edited by RogerDodger on 03/30/2012 13:00:35 MDT.

Roger Dodger
(RogerDodger) - F

Re: Re: REI and Bear Grylls promo products (re: Barry) on 03/30/2012 12:43:30 MDT Print View

Since you ended your post with a TRIPLE smiley, I will smile as well, and not debate the commie comments.

Craig W.
(xnomanx) - F - M
REI and Bear Grylls promo products on 03/30/2012 14:28:03 MDT Print View

"I told the kid to go to the other isle and get a fire starter for five bucks. And that BG is a gimmick entertainer, the Discovery channel had apologized for the show's deception and recently canned him for business reasons."

Interesting conversation for an adult to be having with a child in a shopping line.

Did you also dutifully inform him Disney is built on Chinese sweatshops, Santa is bogus, the tooth fairy is mom, and Nietzsche proclaimed God dead over 100 years ago?

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Coast
Re: REI and Bear Grylls promo products on 03/30/2012 14:33:19 MDT Print View

"Did you also dutifully inform him Disney is built on Chinese sweatshops, Santa is bogus, the tooth fairy is mom, and Nietzsche proclaimed God dead over 100 years ago?"

Craig, there are children reading BPL. That you would just take it upon yourself to strip them of their innocence is really disturbing.

; )

Roger Dodger
(RogerDodger) - F

Re: REI and Bear Grylls promo products (RE: Craig Wisner) on 03/30/2012 14:39:27 MDT Print View

At the REI by my home, it's common for REI members to strike up conversation with each other regarding gear of interest. The kid was with his mom, so the conversation included her as well. It's generally an easy going mellow atmosphere (OK so there was that one kid tantrum)

Craig - A little more context. I was in the checkout line, the kid and his mom were at the BG promo rack parallel to the checkout. Because of the sale and new memberships, the checkout line was moving slow.

Edited by RogerDodger on 03/30/2012 14:49:07 MDT.

Craig W.
(xnomanx) - F - M
Re: Re: REI and Bear Grylls promo products on 03/30/2012 14:40:02 MDT Print View

OOOPS, my bad Kat.

What are you doing on the computer? Don't you have a a bubble bath filled with potpourri, scented candles, a box of Dove chocolates, and some doilies waiting for you?
Oh...you must have a laptop.

:)

Edited by xnomanx on 03/30/2012 14:40:35 MDT.

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Locale: So Cal
Re: REI and Bear Grylls promo products on 03/30/2012 15:08:57 MDT Print View

@ Craig:

Assuming no objection from the mom... what's so bad about telling a kid about buying value instead of buying gimmick?

Eugene Smith
(Eugeneius) - MLife

Locale: Nuevo Mexico
"REI and Bear Grylls promo products" on 03/30/2012 15:48:06 MDT Print View

Way to crush a kid's dream Roger. ;-) I need to find that kid, buy two Bear Grylls knife/flint sets and raid the village.

I don't know what I would do with my evenings had my parents pulled me aside to extinguish my childhood aspirations of one day becoming Batman. To think, Gotham would be utterly defenseless had they not purchased that action figure set at the ripe age of 6.

Roger Dodger
(RogerDodger) - F

Re: "REI and Bear Grylls promo products" (Re:Eugene) on 03/30/2012 16:14:26 MDT Print View

I'd like to think that I steered a kid into the right direction. He thought it was cool, because TV glorified it, and REI endorsed it - which is my problem with REI's endorsement. Although the REI online customer reviews are brutally honest.

He can still buy it when he turns 18, ...at the 99 cents store.