Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Create Silnylon Rainfly?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Paul McLaughlin
(paul) - MLife
Re: Create Silnylon Rainfly? on 03/30/2012 23:15:16 MDT Print View

I tend to agree with those who say give this tent a chance before you attempt any fly-ish mods. And if you made a silnylon second skin for it, it will definitely have major condensation issues. But IF you do have some leakage issues, I'd suggest just having a small "cap" for the top of the tent, just to cover the flattest part. That would be a compromise between all or nothing - letting most of the tent breathe but giving you added waterproofness on the most vulnerable part of the roof.

Sumi Wada
(DetroitTigerFan) - F

Locale: Ann Arbor
Re: Create Silnylon Rainfly? on 03/31/2012 08:49:18 MDT Print View

OK, I'll take a stab.

I'd go for a "hybrid" ridgeline tarp/rainfly. Shape the back (closed) end like the tent but leave the door-end extended like a tarp. Use a hiking pole to prop it up to create a covered porch and give you a little ventilation.

The 1.1oz weight is for a square yard of material, not running yard, and it's also the base material, without the silicon, finishing, seam sealing, etc. I think you'll need 5 yards of fabric (running yards for purchasing, that is.) And I think the finished fly will be in the 8-9 oz range (without any lines or stakes.)

That said, you could just take a basic flat tarp with you and set it up over the tent.

whitenoise .
(whitenoise) - F
Thanks on 04/01/2012 00:25:33 MDT Print View

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and opinions -- more than I thought there would be, that's for sure!

I'm storing away the ideas and will just try the tent out a few times in less than stellar conditions to see how it holds up. Franco, Matthew, Samuel, and Paul were convincing that I should just give it a shot first before trying anything crazy. Will seam seal it with great care (as per the instructions) and see how it goes. Worst case, I get a little wet in the rain, but I'm willing to put up with that. Especially now that I'm getting a new waterproof Feathered Friends bag. :)

Thanks again, I'll be sure to update this thread if I decide to proceed.

Edited by whitenoise on 04/01/2012 00:26:52 MDT.