Micah True aka "Caballo Blanco" missing in Gila Wilderness.
Display Avatars Sort By:
Eugene Smith
(Eugeneius) - MLife

Locale: Nuevo Mexico
Micah True aka "Caballo Blanco" missing in Gila Wilderness. on 03/29/2012 15:04:31 MDT Print View

If you've read "Born to Run" or are familiar with the Copper Canyon ultramarathon, then you may know the name.

Regional SAR teams are searching for Caballo Blanco when he failed to return from a run in the Gila Wilderness of New Mexico late Wednesday.

Let's hope for a safe recovery.

http://www.scsun-news.com/ci_20281254

Edited by Eugeneius on 03/29/2012 16:30:19 MDT.

. .
(biointegra) - MLife

Locale: Puget Sound
Re: Micah True aka "Caballo Blanco" missing in Gila Wilderness. on 03/29/2012 15:41:19 MDT Print View

Lotta respect for that man. Thank you for the heads up, Eugene.
Prayer is in order.

Craig W.
(xnomanx) - F - M
Re: Micah True aka "Caballo Blanco" missing in Gila Wilderness. on 03/29/2012 15:46:21 MDT Print View

What a character. Hope everything turns out ok.

Eugene Smith
(Eugeneius) - MLife

article link on 03/29/2012 16:30:58 MDT Print View

Threw a link in the OP.

Paul Vertrees
(Sawtooth) - M

Locale: Southern Colorado Rockies
Micah True Missing on 03/29/2012 21:54:21 MDT Print View

Our hope and prayers are sent your way, Micah.

Eugene Smith
(Eugeneius) - MLife

"Micah True aka "Caballo Blanco" missing in Gila Wilderness." on 03/29/2012 22:26:04 MDT Print View

http://www.lcsun-news.com/las_cruces-news/ci_20284874/famed-runner-micah-true-missing-gila-wilderness

Checked our local news and found newer information, SAR are still working through the evening.

Adan Lopez
(Lopez) - F

Locale: San Gabriel Valley
Micah on 03/30/2012 07:41:50 MDT Print View

Didnt realize he's been missing for 3 days already. Hoping for some good news on this one, keep us posted.

Eugene Smith
(Eugeneius) - MLife

"Micah True aka "Caballo Blanco" missing in Gila Wilderness." on 03/30/2012 13:05:12 MDT Print View

As of this morning Micah True is still missing. I spoke with my friend who headed out with the Organ Mountain Technical Rescue Squad early today and the status was still the same.

John S.
(jshann) - F
Re: "Micah True aka "Caballo Blanco" missing in Gila Wilderness." on 03/30/2012 20:39:16 MDT Print View

Hoping he is found.

Edited by jshann on 03/30/2012 20:40:40 MDT.

Luke Schmidt
(Cameron) - MLife

Locale: The WOODS
Hope he's found on 03/30/2012 21:21:55 MDT Print View

Doesn't sound good, prayin he's found.

Eugene Smith
(Eugeneius) - MLife

"Micah True aka "Caballo Blanco" missing in Gila Wilderness." on 03/30/2012 21:36:26 MDT Print View

I just got off the phone with a friend here in Las Cruces who was on his way back into town from Silver City. No positive news unfortunately.

~54 search volunteers checked into Incident Base today near the Gila Cliff Dwellings/TJ Corral trailheads, at the location of his vehicle. This has now become a multi team search party, consisting of organized SAR teams, horse teams, friends, fellow ultra runners, and local authorities. Two helicopters and a single fixed wing plane are also providing search coverage.

There were several eyewitnesses who saw him driving up NM 15 towards the Cliff Dwellings for what was supposed to be a short run. Caballo's dog was found in his vehicle at the trailhead, so this run wasn't to be an epic.

Luke Schmidt
(Cameron) - MLife

Locale: The WOODS
Re Michah True aka "Caballo Blanco" missing in Gila on 03/30/2012 22:10:13 MDT Print View

Doesn't sound good. What are the water conditions right now Eugene? I'm guessing there isn't much snow left low down.

David K
(aviddk) - F

Locale: SW Oregon
With Condolences to all affected! on 03/31/2012 20:25:30 MDT Print View

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/04/01/us-runner-death-true-idUSBRE83001R20120401

Eugene Smith
(Eugeneius) - MLife

"Micah True aka "Caballo Blanco" missing in Gila Wilderness." on 03/31/2012 20:50:57 MDT Print View

Unfortunate.

Caballo Blanco won't be forgotten and his story will definitely press on beyond that of the running community.

Jon Leibowitz
(jleeb) - F - MLife

Locale: 4Corners
Re: "Micah True aka "Caballo Blanco" missing in Gila Wilderness." on 04/01/2012 07:26:40 MDT Print View

Very sad. Cliche but true, he left the world doing what he absolutely loved. Nobody can ask for more than that. Hopefully they find there was no foul play and it was just a body failure of some sort. I wouldn't be surprised if it was a heart attack. I just read 'Born to Run' this past year and it really changed my perspective on a lot of things beyond just running. Cabelo Blanco was an inspiration.

Thom Darrah
(thomdarrah) - MLife

Locale: Southern Oregon
Micah True aka "Caballo Blanco" missing in Gila Wilderness. on 04/01/2012 10:27:25 MDT Print View

Eugene/Jon +1!

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

Locale: Montana
Born to Run on 04/03/2012 19:00:35 MDT Print View

I also read this book last year and both the book and Micah were big inspirations for me.

"There is no death. Only a change of worlds." By Chief Seattle

James Castleberry
(Winterland76)
Cliff Bar Scott Jurek video feat. Caballo Blanco on 04/23/2012 17:28:44 MDT Print View

New video from Cliff Bar.

Scott Jurek feat.Caballo Blanco

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

Locale: Montana
heart disease on 05/13/2012 14:34:39 MDT Print View

the autopsy points to heart disease for Micah

http://espn.go.com/olympics/trackandfield/story/_/id/7905872/ultra-marathon-runner-micah-true-died-natural-causes

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Coast
Re: heart disease on 05/13/2012 15:11:16 MDT Print View

That's interesting. If I am not mistaken here, an enlarged left ventricle could be caused by the heart overworking for years, as in untreated high blood pressure. The occasional two beers and vanilla ice cream hardly seem like the culprits here. It would help to know if Micah was seen and treated for hypertension.