Forum Index » Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Trader Joe's Instant Coffee

Display Avatars Sort By:
Kier Selinsky
(Kieran) - F

Locale: Seattle, WA
Trader Joe's Instant Coffee on 03/29/2012 11:33:25 MDT Print View

Coffee drinkers may want to give this a try. $2 for 10 packets, and it's "all dressed up" as they say - it has creamer and sugar in the packet. I picked up a box and it's not half bad. I usually don't take cream, just sugar, but this simplifies it enough for me that I think I'll switch from CoffeeBucks Via. One concern: there's some air in the packets, which makes me wonder if the packets would pop open when compressed in a pack. I think I'll be wrapping in a ziploc for the first few trips.

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest/Sierra
Re: Trader Joe's Instant Coffee on 03/29/2012 20:22:44 MDT Print View

"One concern: there's some air in the packets, which makes me wonder if the packets would pop open when compressed in a pack. I think I'll be wrapping in a ziploc for the first few trips."

Just make a very small hole in the packets with a needle before you put them in the ziploc. I've been doing that ever since I had a packet of Perpetuem bust on me that way, and no problems since.

Kier Selinsky
(Kieran) - F

Re: Re: Trader Joe's Instant Coffee on 03/29/2012 20:28:25 MDT Print View

good call!

sam ketchum
(samyk) - F
Comparable? on 03/30/2012 21:44:22 MDT Print View

How does it compare to the via? Equal? Not as good but tasty? Not in the same ballpark?

Kier Selinsky
(Kieran) - F

Re: Comparable? on 03/30/2012 21:48:37 MDT Print View

Not as good but tasty. Probably worth the hassle savings if you take cream and sugar in your coffee. So cheap you may as well give it a try

Heath Pitts
(heathpitts)

Locale: Nashville
RE: Trader Joe's Instant Coffee on 04/10/2012 20:41:53 MDT Print View

Just wanted to add my opinion of the TJ's coffee :) definitely not as strong as via but tastes better to me than my old way of using via with Nido as creamer.

Jason G
(JasonG) - F

Locale: iceberg lake
price on 04/19/2012 00:18:07 MDT Print View

I'll have to go check these out! seem like a REALLY good deal compared to Via. 10 for 2$ compared to 3 for $3!

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: RE: Trader Joe's Instant Coffee on 04/19/2012 00:24:25 MDT Print View

I bought a box of the stuff, and two of the packets are in my food bag for this weekend's snow camping. But, don't trust my opinion since I'm not a serious coffee drinker.

--B.G.--

Nathan Hays
(oroambulant)

Locale: San Francisco
RE: Trader Joe's Instant Coffee on 04/20/2012 23:03:14 MDT Print View

I drink a lot of coffee at home but oddly, I come to dislike it after a few days out. I've tried the Via and the Joe's and don't like them at all. Even using the Jetboil press with Peet's Arabian Mocha Sanani (really awesome coffee) doesn't cut it. Much happier with teas and EmergenC. For caffeine (which I definitely DO like on the trail) I use no-doze.

In general I also tend to grow weary of anything that ends up with a chore - packing/unpacking kitchen, washing dishes (which takes all of 10 seconds/cup mind you). I SO much prefer a cold meal munched on while I enjoy the landscape or chat over a candle.

Hot oatmeal in the am is still hard to pass up. Perhaps as I work on my own breakfast bars substituting maltodextrin for sugar I'll leave the oatmeal behind as well.

The more time I spend in the wilderness the more I want to be in the wilderness when I'm in the wilderness. Doesn't that make sense?

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest/Sierra
Re: RE: Trader Joe's Instant Coffee on 04/21/2012 17:22:56 MDT Print View

"The more time I spend in the wilderness the more I want to be in the wilderness when I'm in the wilderness. Doesn't that make sense?"

Yes, indeed. It's good to find a kindred spirit.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: Re: RE: Trader Joe's Instant Coffee on 04/22/2012 21:14:29 MDT Print View

"I bought a box of the stuff, and two of the packets are in my food bag for this weekend's snow camping."

It's OK. Not too strong. Convenient.

When I go snow camping, I like to keep things simple.

[California, Carson Pass]
The weather was mild, the snow was thin but decent. South-facing slopes were bare. North-facing slopes were OK.

One good sunburn.

--B.G.--

Don Amundson
(amrowinc) - M

Locale: Southern California
TJ's instant coffee on 04/22/2012 22:14:55 MDT Print View

After running the gamut I've settled on TJ's. If I want it strong I'll use 2 packs or a little less water. I was carrying TJ's and mixing it with a Via. I've also used various coffee/creamer/sugar products from http://www.veryasia.com/indonesian-coffee.html but TJ's is by far the most compact and best I've found.

Ben Wortman
(bwortman) - M

Locale: Nebraska
Yummy on 04/26/2012 07:38:41 MDT Print View

I saw this thread and went out last night and got a box. It is the best I have found so far. I do like my coffee less strong and sweetened up, so this is perfect.

Thanks

Ben

JOHN ZENNER
(johnz)

Locale: East Bay
Sticking with Via on 04/26/2012 15:36:06 MDT Print View

I bought a box of the TJ stuff, nowhere near as good a coffee as Via but I'm glad TJ's is pushing it as it might make Starbutts come down in price.

Ben F
(tekhna) - F
Too bad on 04/29/2012 23:41:49 MDT Print View

They don't make a black version.The cream/sugar version is fine, pretty decent actually, but I just can't do sugar in my coffee.

Brad Walker
(brawa)

Locale: SoCal
Re: TJ's on 04/30/2012 14:06:18 MDT Print View

Cool, I'll have to give the TJ's a try.

As for Via, be sure to buy it on Amazon or Costco (which has a coupon going for it now too). It gets close to $0.50/packet, which is still more than the TJ's but a lot more reasonable.

When I buy them they usually have 6-9 months until the best by date, but I've used Via packets 6+ months past that date and they've tasted fine--so load up!

John Jensen
(JohnJ) - F

Locale: Orange County, CA
via on 04/30/2012 16:45:48 MDT Print View

I like Italian roasts, more or less. The Via Verona is pretty good for me.

Coinstar lets you convert your change jar into Starbucks cards with no fee, so I think of the Via as coming from spare change.

If I didn't have that, I might check out the instant French Roast at Asian markets ...

Thayne N
(teethless) - MLife

Locale: SF CA
My routine after discovering the TJ's: on 05/31/2012 19:38:51 MDT Print View

Instead of 2 cups of Via in the morning, and maybe adding a little creamer or milk if convenient... I now go halfsies with a packet of Via and one of the TJ's for 2 separate cups.

Did that come out right? 2 packets, 2 cups consumed, cutting the Via with the TJ's for each cup.