Forum Index » General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Quest. for Chlorine Diox. users.

Display Avatars Sort By:
Ty Guillory
(TyGui) - F
Quest. for Chlorine Diox. users. on 03/29/2012 08:26:19 MDT Print View

I've been using a heavy Hiker Pro (Katadyn). I've got some Chlo. Diox. tablets thinking about going that route for solo trips. Question: what do you use to sort of "prefilter" to keep the floaties out of the bottle? What do you do?
Thanks

Steven Hanlon
(asciibaron) - F

Locale: Mid Atlantic
bandana on 03/29/2012 08:31:11 MDT Print View

a simple bandana works.

i take only from sources that are flowing at a high rate. i will wait for an disturbed debris or soil to clear before i attempt take water.

Edited by asciibaron on 03/29/2012 08:35:05 MDT.

Ryan Smith
(ViolentGreen) - M

Locale: Southeast
Re: bandana on 03/29/2012 11:04:12 MDT Print View

+1 on bandana & getting water that is as clear as possible.

Ryan

Craig W.
(xnomanx) - F - M
No filter on 03/29/2012 11:08:27 MDT Print View

Eat or drink the floaties.

Doesn't bother me.

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Locale: So Cal
Re: No filter on 03/29/2012 11:29:42 MDT Print View

@ Craig: Yuck! :)

For screening out floaties -- as above. But if you are also concerned about shallow water sources (particularly if you use narrow mouth collapsible bottles like Platypus) -- then make a compact and light weight water scoop with pre-filter -- and kill two birds with one ultralight stone.

John Donewar
(Newton) - MLife

Locale: Southeastern Louisiana
Re: Quest. for Chlorine Diox. users. on 03/29/2012 11:42:23 MDT Print View

Ty,

I have used a bandanna in the past but my current pre-filter for my drinking water is a pair of nylon "footie" stockings.

UL water pre-filter

They are packaged in the kind of little plastic container that us kids used to get cheap plastic toys in when we put a quarter in and turned the crank on a vending machine. Total cost of my pre-filter $.59 at Walgreens.

When I used the bandanna the pre-filtering process was agonizingly slow.

Bandanna Pre-Filter

BTW I only use fresh nylon "footie" stockings.
LOL

Party On,

Newton

Edited by Newton on 04/14/2012 06:43:29 MDT.

Steven Hanlon
(asciibaron) - F

Locale: Mid Atlantic
trickles... on 03/29/2012 11:57:27 MDT Print View

my method of filling my platypus when the water is moving fast, but is very shallow is simple. find a spot near the source where there is a drop. then use the cap as a bridge and let the water fall into the bottle. it works very well and i can usually fill up the bottle to the top without much effort.

another method is to crumple up the bandana and use that as a dam - the water is prefiltered as it comes out of the bandana into the water bottle. the water builds up enough behind and in the bandana so i just need to shove the opening into the bandana.

Edited by asciibaron on 03/29/2012 11:58:36 MDT.

Jace Mullen
(climberslacker) - F

Locale: Your guess is as good as mine.
Floaties... on 03/29/2012 18:54:53 MDT Print View

Filter it with yer teeth!

Edited by climberslacker on 03/29/2012 18:55:59 MDT.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: Quest. for Chlorine Diox. users. on 03/29/2012 19:00:47 MDT Print View

I sewed a piece of shock cord and some noseeum netting into a pre filter that fits around the outside of my large mouth bottles.