Kelty Trail Dome AND footprint $100
Display Avatars Sort By:
Brett .
(Brett1234) - F

Locale: CA
Kelty Trail Dome AND footprint $100 on 02/08/2007 09:56:34 MST Print View

..about that much for two items. At REI outlet. This is a 4lb 13 oz (minimum) tent. Not bad for a hundred bucks. I already have the QuarterDome or Id get one!
www.rei.com

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Locale: So Cal
Re: Kelty Trail Dome AND footprint $100 on 02/08/2007 10:47:19 MST Print View

Curious, do you use the QD as a solo tent? Hard for me to imagine anyone sharing but maybe I am more of a space hog than most...

Russell Swanson
(rswanson) - F

Locale: Midatlantic
Re: Re: Kelty Trail Dome AND footprint $100 on 02/08/2007 14:11:15 MST Print View

Ben,

I use the QD frequently with my wife. I'm 6' even and shes 5'8" and we have adequate room; certainly enough for comfort and some gear stowage. I wouldn't want to share the tent with another 6 footer, especially one I wasn't married to but I've never thought it to be too small for our usage. Packs do need to stay outside in the vestibules but I do that even when I'm using the tent solo.

Edited by rswanson on 02/08/2007 14:12:35 MST.

Brett .
(Brett1234) - F

Locale: CA
Ben, 28 S.F. barely enough on 02/08/2007 20:03:03 MST Print View

Ben, I use the Quarterdome for two people. I keep the packs and gear in the two vestibules and go outside to cook (if its raining, under an UL 6oz, $5 umbrella while my GF watches from the warmth of her sleeping bag!)
This small tent might not work for larger people; I'm about 177cm and my GF is 153cm, and understands I have a strict 45kg limit for her. I enforce UL principles in my personal life also ha ha.. :)

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Re: Ben, 28 S.F. barely enough on 02/08/2007 22:56:44 MST Print View

Oh well... I guess I am a space hog...

robert sekula
(nhuta) - F

Locale: mid atlantic east coast
Re: Kelty Trail Dome AND footprint $100 on 02/09/2007 11:29:23 MST Print View

hi Brett....
do you think this thing can be waterproof...i have ~8 years old kelty tent i would't recommend to anybody,maybe they changed technology....anyway $83.99 -20%coupon(enter code: outlet27) sounds gooood.

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Re: Kelty Trail Dome AND footprint $100 on 02/09/2007 11:50:48 MST Print View

Robert:

Kelty makes pretty solid (if non-sexy) tents. All the seams of the Trail Dome are factory taped, so barring the odd lemon, you can expect it to be rainproof. However, you should note that the tent only has a partial fly -- meaning no vestibule and also a chance of wind-blown horizontal rain making it through the mesh just above the door.

The price is fantastic, but fundamentally, this tent is a compromise: it uses perfectly functional materials that are heavier but cheaper -- and compensates with a partial fly. The end result is a cheaper tent that lacks a vestibule, but isn't overly heavy either.