Rolling Foot vs. Walking Foot?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Dion Dixon
(RangyMouse)

Locale: Blue Ridge Mtns.
Rolling Foot vs. Walking Foot? on 03/27/2012 21:39:02 MDT Print View

So... or should I say, Sew...

I got my Singer 403 up and running like the finely crafted machine it is, and I have a question... Anyone familiar with the rolling foot?

I have one and from what I have read, it appears to be intended to function much like a walking foot. So, should I buy a walking foot before tackling some sil-nylon, m50, or pertex? Or will the rolling foot actually perform as advertised?

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: Rolling Foot vs. Walking Foot? on 03/27/2012 23:25:21 MDT Print View

I have made quite a few silnylon tents over the years. I use a rolling foot - mainly becasue I don't have a walking foot. And I haven't really seen the need to get one.

Cheers

Dion Dixon
(RangyMouse)

Locale: Blue Ridge Mtns.
Awesome! on 03/28/2012 23:17:05 MDT Print View

Thanks, Roger.

Coming from you, I feel secure in eschewing the walking foot, then.

I need to finish my pack so I can start on my quilt.

Steve Hayford
(Cyclesafe) - F
Walking foot of questionable utility....... on 03/29/2012 06:29:39 MDT Print View

Not familiar with the Singer, but the plug-in walking foot on the Bernia does nada.

Chris W
(simplespirit) - MLife

Locale: .
Re: Rolling Foot vs. Walking Foot? on 03/29/2012 06:48:18 MDT Print View

The walking foot for home machines is pretty useless. Not even close to a real walking foot machine.

Terry Trimble
(socal-nomad) - F

Locale: North San Diego county
Rolling Foot vs. Walking Foot? on 03/29/2012 09:12:38 MDT Print View

I have found purpose built walking foot machine work like commercial machines are the only ones that work. The only home machine that really works is the Pfaff with I.D.T. a built in walking foot machine. The only problem is the Pfaff sewing machine are very expensive even the used ones,only has 0.8 amp motor.

For the price you will pay you might as will get a Sailrite or other commercial walking foot sewing machine that has the 1.5 amp motor and power to really do what we want easily has special attachment like binding tools that automatically folds 1" cross grain ribbon in half and feeds it though to the needle.
So you can have professionally looking DIY backpacks and equipment.
Terry

David Olsen
(oware)

Locale: Steptoe Butte
Re: Rolling Foot vs. Walking Foot? on 03/29/2012 09:15:38 MDT Print View

Roller feet are very good. Second best are Teflon feet.

The walking feet I have seen just wrinkle very thin fabrics.

Mark Dijkstra
(Markacd) - F
Rolling Foot vs. Walking Foot on 03/30/2012 09:25:49 MDT Print View

I have a Pfaff 1200 series machine with a built in walking foot and imo it works brilliantly. I've never heard of a rolling foot, so I have no idea how that will work.