Forum Index » GEAR » What's your favorite day pack suitable for trail running and hiking?

Display Avatars Sort By:
Jon Leibowitz
(jleeb) - F - MLife

Locale: 4Corners
Re: Been doing similar research on 03/28/2012 21:17:27 MDT Print View

Warren,

I think I'm actually going for the REI Flash 18. It's not what I think of when I think trail running bag, but I'm intrigued. It's got much more capacity than most other bags (great for long day hikes, SUL weekend trips), weighs less than others (11 oz), and is a stuff sack in itself. It even has a removable back pad for rigidity.

I have no idea how it's going to work for running. Though heavier, the thing I like about the Osprey packs is that it forms to your back - this one doesn't look like it does that.

Oh, and it's only 27 dollars with 20% sale and it comes with the REI 100% return guarantee.

I'll let you know what I think about it when it arrives and I test it out.

Edited by jleeb on 03/28/2012 21:18:25 MDT.

Warren Greer
(WarrenGreer) - F

Locale: SoCal
I'm on 03/28/2012 21:42:15 MDT Print View

gonna go down to REI and try the Flash 18 and Stoke 19 packs. I like the Stoke 19 in theory for its padded belt and straps. I'm looking for a pack to hike with only. No running, so I don't have the consideration.

Good luck.

Nathan Watts
(7sport) - MLife
Salomon Skin on 03/29/2012 10:10:51 MDT Print View

I suggest you try a Salomon S-Lab skin series pack if you're serious about running.

Eugene Smith
(Eugeneius) - MLife

Locale: Nuevo Mexico
"What's your favorite day pack suitable for trail running and hiking?" on 03/29/2012 10:30:26 MDT Print View

18L is a lot of volume for a running pack, unless you're doing some all day self supported running with supplemental food and light insulation. How is the compression on the Flash?

7-10L is sufficient volume for a running pack and a days worth of water, essentials, and calories.

Finding a pack for running, hiking, and biking will be tough, at least finding one that does all three really well. Personally, I would try and find a pack that works best for running primarily, the other two activities don't require such a dialed in fit to function. A mile of bouncing pack and you'll know what I'm talking about.

Hiking Malto
(gg-man) - F
MLD Burn on 03/29/2012 11:24:03 MDT Print View

I have used a Burn for all three activities listed. For trail running I cinched the back panel together using the little loops for the compression cord. This creates a fanny pack sized compartment with additional room if needed. Is it ideal for running, likely not but I find it to be at least good at each of the three functions.

Joseph R
(Dianoda) - MLife

Locale: Chicago, IL
Re: What's your favorite day pack suitable for trail running and hiking? on 03/29/2012 14:55:40 MDT Print View

Sweet, I was about to make my own nearly identical post soliciting ideas for a do-it-all daypack suitable for day hiking, trail running, and my primarily use, long distance bike touring (60-80+ miles in a day). At a glance the Golite Rush 20L seems pretty close, but I need to take the time to absorb the rest of the info in this thread.

On a separate note, I also am a photographer and giving Lowepro's Photosport 200 pack a look for day trips where I want to have my camera with me - anyone have experience with it? Sure, it's heavy at 2.5lbs, but my DSLR/lenses aren't exactly UL, either - the added structure/padding would go to good use.

Brian UL
(MAYNARD76)

Locale: New England
Re: Re: What's your favorite day pack suitable for trail running and hiking? on 03/29/2012 15:36:59 MDT Print View

Black diamond BBee, the older version. It has some shape so it doesn't swing around.

Brian Johns
(bcutlerj) - M

Locale: NorCal
REI Flash on 03/29/2012 22:46:20 MDT Print View

This is a great day pack and a stuff sack for my sleeping bag to use for day hiking when I camp on mt. Tam (no hike in sites but plenty of trails). I am going to do a 12 mile overnighter with my OR bivy and silahelter soon. Will let you know how it goes. Stable (sternum strap w/ whistle AND waist belt), light weight, takes a water bladder, etc. like one other reviewer said, "it's tough not to live the little guy."

Jon Leibowitz
(jleeb) - F - MLife

Locale: 4Corners
Re: REI Flash on 03/30/2012 07:50:24 MDT Print View

I am really excited to receive the Flash 18. I'm actually surprised it doesn't get more love in this community. 11 ounces, doubles as a stuff sack for long trips, comes with a back pad for rigidity, nice looking light shoulder straps.....

So, I ended getting the Flash, and the smallest Osprey Viper. Flash for day hiking and SUL overnights, and the Osprey for running. The Osprey comes with their superior hydro bladder system (and magnetic holste) which I will be using in my Flash as well. I have been using the same EMS badder for about 6 years and needed to replace it.

Thank for all the help on this thread!

Edited by jleeb on 03/30/2012 07:54:43 MDT.

Nick VanBurkleo
(EnvyBee) - F - MLife

Locale: Midwest
Re: Re: REI Flash on 03/30/2012 08:01:08 MDT Print View

The curse of REI: going in wanting one thing and coming out with two (or more). BUT, I think you'll love the Flash. Be a guinea pig for the rest of us and take some runs in it. Let us know how they compare!