Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
No flap on shelter door: waterproof zipper or regular coil zipper??
Display Avatars Sort By:
Rusty Beaver
(rustyb) - F

Locale: Rocky Mountains
No flap on shelter door: waterproof zipper or regular coil zipper?? on 03/27/2012 09:22:32 MDT Print View

Prior to reading about the positive experiences a few here have had with nothing more than a regular coil zipper on a shelter door (no flap), I would have used a waterproof zipper.

I don't care for the drag of the waterproof zippers though. Besides the hassle of it, seems the extra difficulty would add extra stress on the my .51 oz cuben seams. I see that a couple people have recommended zipper lubricant to make things easier. That works on my drysuit but by the nature of the zipper, there's still a lot of drag. I assume a small waterproof zipper would have similar results (easier but still draggy).

I'm having my Hexamid converted to a Wild Oasis like shelter. I need to decide by the end of the day what zipper I should use. I like the simplicity of no zipper flap. I'm in S Idaho. Some rain but it's not like the Pacific NW.

I'm leaning towards a regular coil zipper. Anyone think this is a mistake?

Edited by rustyb on 03/27/2012 09:24:15 MDT.

John S.
(jshann) - F
Re: No flap on shelter door: waterproof zipper or regular coil zipper?? on 03/27/2012 09:59:34 MDT Print View

You should expect a regular non waterproof zipper without a covering flap to leak.

K C
(KalebC) - F

Locale: South West
RE: Zipper on 03/27/2012 10:05:01 MDT Print View

I put in a zipper in a MYOG tent recently. I set it up the other day in 10 hours of fierce rain and I didn't have a problem with water coming through the YKK #3 coil zipper, it would be easy to put a zipper flap over it with cuben if you wanted to. On top of that, when you get in and out of the tent water goes everywhere around the zipper area. I think regular zippers are fine for vesibule use.

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: No flap on shelter door: waterproof zipper or regular coil zipper?? on 03/27/2012 16:53:41 MDT Print View

I use a #3 coil-coil zip on all my tents (summer and winter). They have worked fine for years.

Yes, there is a silnylon flap which is *meant* to go over the zip. Sometimes it does sit there ... But I have never had any problems with large leaks through the zips.

You could try adding a little silicone spray to the zip of course. It would not hurt.

Cheers

Rusty Beaver
(rustyb) - F

Locale: Rocky Mountains
Thanks on 03/27/2012 21:19:36 MDT Print View

Thanks, all. Based on these comments as well as comments in two other threads, I'm going with the regular #3 coil. If it drips a little, no big deal. It will be away from me and my gear. If I totally hate it, adding a flap should be easy enough.

gunther kirsch
(goonch92) - F

Locale: Northern California
may I add if its not too late... on 03/27/2012 22:37:41 MDT Print View

strategically placed (split/halved) Velcro.

this is what I'm going to add on my ID Silshelter vestibule