Forum Index » Make Your Own Gear » Source for EVA Foam

Display Avatars Sort By:
Ben Wortman
(bwortman) - M

Locale: Nebraska
Source for EVA Foam on 03/26/2012 13:07:05 MDT Print View

I am looking to so something a little outside the box. I want to make a groundsheet out of 1/8" EVA foam. My thinking is that it would replace my groundcloth and also serve as protection for my UL sleeping pad. From the looks of it if I did my math right, it should weigh in the range of 5oz. Does anyone know of a source I could get a 40"x80" sheet to give this a try?

Thanks Ben

drowning in spam
(leaftye) - F

Locale: SoCal
Re: Source for EVA Foam on 03/26/2012 13:10:23 MDT Print View

www.foamorder.com

I think Oware sells that size too.

Mike Hensel
(mike220) - M

Locale: Northwest
Foam on 03/26/2012 16:24:49 MDT Print View

Suluk46. com

Paul McLaughlin
(paul) - MLife
Re: Source for EVA Foam on 03/27/2012 20:08:11 MDT Print View

It looks like SULUK46 does not sell the 1/8" foam anymore. Looking at the Foamorder website, they don't give weights or density. My 1/8" foam from Suluk is lighter than what you have calculated - 40x80x1/8" would be under 4 oz. - if you could get it. But the Foamorder stuff may be a different density and thus a different weight.

By the way - my experience is that a foam groundhseet is great on the snow, not so great for dirt/rocks/pine needles. Especially pine needles - they get stuck in it and you have to spend time pulling them all out. Dirt and little pine comes also tend to stick to it. So I only use mine for snow camping.