Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
emergency whistle sounds just like a bird call ...
Display Avatars Sort By:
eric chan
(bearbreeder) - F
emergency whistle sounds just like a bird call ... on 03/26/2012 11:52:08 MDT Print View

more at link

http://blog.oplopanax.ca/2012/03/the-fox-40-whistle-and-bird-calls/

However, starting about an hour before dawn on the south coast, there's a bird that begins to call that sounds just like a fox 40 whistle. In the SAR community (at least the local one in the lower mainland), we refer to that bird as "the Fox 40 Bird" because it drives us crazy. For that period of time just before dawn, it makes whistle blasts almost useless because every bird sounds like a distant subject blowing their whistle in return, except presumably the subject would be blowing more frantically.

Bradley Danyluk
(dasbin) - MLife
whistle on 03/26/2012 13:45:01 MDT Print View

Interesting.

"except presumably the subject would be blowing more frantically. "

I don't know if I'd count on that! If you're sitting there, leg lodged under a rock or whatever your situation is, for hours and hours with no sign of help, my guess is you're meekly blowing the whistle every minute or so, and not at all frantically.

Jace Mullen
(climberslacker) - F

Locale: Your guess is as good as mine.
Emergency whistle or Bird Call. on 03/28/2012 21:14:17 MDT Print View

I was once in a situation where I was hiking and heard what I soon found out was a whistle (from a sternum strap).

I distinctly remember thinking to myself: "What and interesting Birdcall, I should really start learning birdcalls".

Nick Larsen
(stingray4540) - F

Locale: South Bay
SOS on 03/29/2012 07:56:44 MDT Print View

I think this is a good reason why you should use the universal sign of distress: 3
I think three blasts on a whistle close together at regular intervals, would sound less "organic"?
Maybe the first set could get mistaken for a bird(s), but I think after a few rounds it would seem unnaturally consistent to most people, especially SAR.

Steven Hanlon
(asciibaron) - F

Locale: Mid Atlantic
3 blasts on 03/29/2012 08:37:53 MDT Print View

yes, 3 blasts (not SOS) is how the Boy Scouts are taught and it is what i listen for. SOS in Morse code would be (dit dit dit) (dah dah dah) (dit dit dit), 3 blasts is much quicker and easier esp. in an excited state.

Steve, WM3O

Edited by asciibaron on 03/29/2012 08:38:38 MDT.

eric chan
(bearbreeder) - F
Re: SOS on 03/29/2012 11:28:17 MDT Print View

3 tweety birds ;)

Steven Hanlon
(asciibaron) - F

Locale: Mid Atlantic
Re: Re: SOS on 03/29/2012 12:02:48 MDT Print View

"3 tweety birds ;)"

i tawt i taw a puddy tat.

Barry Cuthbert
(nzbazza) - MLife

Locale: New Zealand
Re: emergency whistle sounds just like a bird call ... on 03/29/2012 14:26:34 MDT Print View

A youth SAR group in New Zealand did some testing on whistles to determine which were the best (and worst) in dense New Zealand bush. Some interesting results were noted. The Storm Whistle followed by the Acme Thunderer were best with an audible range out to 400m (1/4 mile), yelling and screaming were just as effective if only for short periods, the Fox 40 whistle was good for 238m. The link below as more results and the methodlogy used.

http://www.ysar.org.nz/technology/Testing.htm

Bradley Danyluk
(dasbin) - MLife
The acoustics on 03/29/2012 15:07:38 MDT Print View

It makes sense that a complex waveform with many harmonics and tonal variations (human voice) would be much better-suited to being heard through / around acoustic impediments such as trees, than a single high-frequency blast (a whistle), which is very directional and more quickly absorbed by any material in the way.

Stephen Barber
(grampa) - MLife

Locale: SoCal
Big Storm on 03/29/2012 15:33:17 MDT Print View

I got a couple of the Storm whistles after reading about this test - man, they are big! The Fox 40 tucks neatly into a t-shirt; the Storm is a huge big thing! I've yet to actually take it along!

Andy F
(AndyF) - M

Locale: Midwest/Midatlantic
Re: emergency whistle sounds just like a bird call ... on 03/30/2012 10:30:42 MDT Print View

Just wait until this bird learns all of the different whistle models!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjE0Kdfos4Y