Forum Index » GEAR » It happened...the dreaded flat pad at 2AM (Exped SynMat UL7)

Display Avatars Sort By:
eric chan
(bearbreeder) - F - M
Re: Re: double the fun on 03/26/2012 11:42:56 MDT Print View

"why is bringing a repair kit not UL?"

any extra gear aint UL so they tell me ;)

as said a thin foam pad that you use for yr pack support will help prevent the issue, though not eliminate it ... it is always possible as well that a hole may not be patchable

you take a certain amount of risk when using a single air pad ... not to say you shouldnt .... there have been many stories about pads deflating and people having to make do or bail ... air pad failure IMO are one of the more common problems people experience with their gear

the trick is to assess the risk and know what to do should it happen to you ...

Roger Dodger
(RogerDodger) - F

Locale: Wess Siide
Re: Re: Re: double the fun on 03/26/2012 12:11:16 MDT Print View

While an air pad can be patched, here is what cannot be undone:
* good night sleep is interrupted.
* usually slept on cold rock ground for a while before waking up, sore muscles.
* doing technical repairs by headlamp, when your brain wants to dream.
* draining valuable headlamp battery burn time, for non trail or camp fun.
* after patching the pad, you are still not rested the next morning.
* Your confidence is shaken, and your worry about another leak or cut.
* Worrying about leaks competes with good sleep.
* when you use the UL repair kit, you have less or no kit left for the next failure.
* You are little upset because you spent good money on gear that let you down.

Edited by RogerDodger on 03/26/2012 12:11:52 MDT.

John Vance
(Servingko) - F

Locale: Intermountain West
UL7 on 03/26/2012 12:20:19 MDT Print View

If memory serves, the mat is 20d. I use a 1/4" pad under mine for protection and frame sheet for my pack that is 3/4 length.

Mark Ries
(mtmnmark) - M

Locale: IOWAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!
Dreaded Flat on 03/26/2012 12:54:11 MDT Print View

A similar situation got me to cut a closed cell pad in half and buy a prolite xs to go over that and use my pack under my legs The 1/2 length cc foam gets used for a lot of other uses. It makes a great sit pad and kneel pad when setting up/taking down camp a wind screen, shower mat, kitchen table, fishin rod case. It is not near as comfy as my synmat UL. The Synmat Ul has never let me down but my old reg synmat developed a slow leak and was replaced under warrenty by Exped with mat of my choice. I was very happy with the Exped warrenty dept. Maybe my prolite xs and my synmat ul need to go on gear swap and get replaced with a shorter/lighter inflatable and pack the close cell pad cause sooner or later...

jeffrey armbruster
(book) - M

Locale: Northern California
It happened...the dreaded flat pad at 2AM (Exped SynMat on 03/26/2012 13:42:05 MDT Print View

Years ago I went over to inflatable and I'm not going back! I'll take the slim risk of a bad night's sleep(or more)on a good inflatable over the CERTAINTY of sleeping agony on anything else. For years I used the original Exped downmat 7 short which is heavy but tough as nails. No leaks. Comfy! Last year I went with the Synmat 7. Knock on wood. It clearly feels flimsier that the downmat. I do go through a pretty rigorous routine checking/clearing the ground before pitching my tent. Also, I never use my pad in a chair kit--just the GG thinmat--because I'm worried that it'll get ruptured.

I once was able to provide a repair kit to a backpacker that had sprung a leak on his first night out on the JMT; it worked and made me feel great. Perhaps I've been living on Karma-time, which has just run out now that I've written this!

NW Hiker
(king2005ify) - M
Pinch flat on 03/26/2012 13:43:35 MDT Print View

It's called a "pinch flat", and it happens all the time in the Mt Biking world (and why I ride tubeless nowadays).

Caused when a good amount of pressure pinches and pops the inflated item, while not puncturing the tire (or in this case the tent floor). This flat always looks like a tear, because it is, and is really hard to patch even on a tire.

If you want to use a inflatable at 255 lbs, I am sure you could but I would just avoid the ultralight models (use models like neoair all season, TAR Prolites, Exped Downmats, etc.). All of these models have much tougher exteriors, and there are many that cowboy camp on them with zero issues.

The nts of restful sleep on an air pad would offset the horrible CCF nights IMO!

Barry P
(BarryP) - F

Locale: Eastern Idaho (moved from Midwest)
Re: It happened...the dreaded flat pad at 2AM (Exped SynMat UL7) on 03/26/2012 14:10:29 MDT Print View

Some more ideas:
I have slept on a GG NightLite Torso pad (3.7oz) with an open cell foam on that--- 15”x30”x1.5” @ 5.5oz. I couldn’t sleep on the Torso pad itself. I wish I could. And I could probably handle that combo for the rest of my life. However, I later switched to the short Prolite 4. That was a little more comfortable at a weight cost but packing-room bonus. I haven’t heard of anyone puncturing those. Then I went to the short Neoair. And that was a little more comfortable with weight reduction AND packing-room bonus.

Some day in the future I may play with the CCF concept again.

Hopefully you find that sleeping zen,
-Barry
-The mountains were made for Tevas

Ross Bleakney
(rossbleakney) - MLife

Locale: Cascades
Re: It happened...the dreaded flat pad at 2AM (Exped SynMat UL7) on 03/26/2012 14:16:33 MDT Print View

Like others, I put a thinlight pad underneath an inflatable (in my case, a NeoAir). It provides a little bit of extra warmth and comfort along with a little bit of protection. If the inflatable does deflate, I at least have some warmth (a lot more than just a deflated NeoAir). I use the thinlight as my sit pad, so it gets use during the day. I just have to remember to brush it off before putting it in the tent. Because I would normally carry a sit pad anyway, the additional weight is minimal.

Mark Ries
(mtmnmark) - M

Locale: IOWAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!
Re: Pinch flat on 03/26/2012 19:12:13 MDT Print View

I always thought a pinch flat was caused by the tube getting inbetween the tire and the rim either from improper assembally or low tire pressure or both.

Chris Rothwell
(heelix) - F

Locale: Midwest
RE: It happened...the dreaded flat pad at 2AM on 03/26/2012 20:09:27 MDT Print View

I learned my lesson about leaving the patch kit behind last fall. I was wiggling into my bag and popped my neoair. Tried to just sleep on my clothing and pack, but it made for a really cold night. A pile of leaves just don't have the same r factor.

Samuel C. Farrington
(scfhome) - M

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA
the dreaded flat pad on 03/26/2012 20:10:26 MDT Print View

That's what I like about inflated foam pads - if a Griz gets at one, you still have at least something between you and the ground.