Forum Index » Hiking Partners / Group Trip Announcements » New England GGG #3 Springtime!

Display Avatars Sort By:
Ryan Linn
(ryan.c.linn)

Locale: Maine!
Re: Cars on 04/02/2012 18:12:15 MDT Print View

Depending on who gets there earliest, we can leave my car at Monadnock, and I can get a ride with someone to Sunapee. The rest of us can meet at Sunapee or elsewhere (whatever works, but Sunapee is very close to I-89). We can leave the rest of the cars at the ski resort parking lot at Sunapee. Then on Sunday we'll pile into my car and head back to Sunapee to retrieve cars. Everyone can hop right on 89 to get back home.

The parking lots at the ski resort are huge, so we shouldn't have trouble there. The parking lot we'll be using for Monadnock is big enough for a dozen or so cars, and it's the lesser-used trailhead, so also no problem there. I may go check out that trailhead this week to make sure it's not blocked by mud.

Jake D
(JakeDatc) - F

Locale: Bristol,RI
Re: Re: Cars on 04/03/2012 09:19:24 MDT Print View

I think i'm out for the Sunapee trip.. too many miles per day this early.

have fun

Edited by JakeDatc on 04/03/2012 09:57:41 MDT.

Pete Anderson
(hosaphone) - F

Locale: Boston-ish, MA
re on 04/07/2012 13:34:33 MDT Print View

IN.

I have a car and will be coming from Boston-ish if anybody wants to carpool/split gas or whatever.

Clint Hewitt
(WalkSoftly33) - F

Locale: New England
Trail map. on 04/10/2012 21:25:40 MDT Print View

Are there any better maps out there?

http://www.msgtc.org/map

Ryan Linn
(ryan.c.linn)

Re: Trail map. on 04/11/2012 06:08:28 MDT Print View

Yep. I have the guidebook, which comes with a very nice map of the trail, made by AMC. I also live just down the street from Toadstool Books in Keene, which is one of the few places you can find the guidebook. If anyone wants a copy, I can go check it out at the store and see how much it costs. I think it's $18. There may also be a stand-alone map for $10. The Greenway's website has a mail order form for these things, but no web store. Old school.

I'm going to make some phone calls today about parking and leaving cars, just in case. Long term weather report looks promising, so far.

Steven Adeff
(TinCanFury) - F

Locale: Boston
Re: Re: Trail map. on 04/11/2012 08:38:36 MDT Print View

Ryan, If a map is $10 I'd say pick up at least one so as a group we can have an spare/extra.

so far it looks like
-Ryan
-Clint
-Mr Anderson
-Me

Do we intend to use the shelters or should we plan on bringing shelter, or?
How do we want to work out shared resources like stoves, etc?

Ryan Linn
(ryan.c.linn)

Re: Re: Re: Trail map. on 04/11/2012 12:30:18 MDT Print View

Bring tents (hammock, tarp, whatever), because it's possible that both nights we'll end up at sites that don't have shelters. Don't want to be caught out in the rain if that's the case.

I just checked Toadstool down the road, and they have several copies of the guidebook, which comes bundled with the map. They didn't have just the map, though. Total cost is $17 per guidebook. I've got my old copy, which is still good. If anyone else wants a copy, I could pick one up for you.

I'll be bringing my one-person alcohol stove. It's probably going to be similar conditions to our Western Mass meet-up.

Clint Hewitt
(WalkSoftly33) - F

temps on 04/11/2012 19:35:57 MDT Print View

Yea looks like it has the chance to get fairly cold at night. Though It will not be anything like our last trip.

I would like to try and experiment with going stove less at some point this summer, but I do not think that this trip is that time.

We are going to have to get up and moving fairly early to make the miles.

Pete Anderson
(hosaphone) - F

Locale: Boston-ish, MA
re on 04/12/2012 10:08:03 MDT Print View

Nooooooooooo, just realized I can't make it that weekend after all :(

Hopefully I'll join you guys on the next one, which will hopefully be soon!

Edited by hosaphone on 04/12/2012 10:09:04 MDT.

Steven Adeff
(TinCanFury) - F

uhoh... on 04/12/2012 10:52:12 MDT Print View

yea, I may be out too, I just got work I may have to work that weekend =/

I should know by midweek.

Ryan Linn
(ryan.c.linn)

Re: uhoh... on 04/12/2012 13:22:53 MDT Print View

Oh no! Did we just lose half of our crew?

Well, I'm still in if you are, Clint!

Steven Adeff
(TinCanFury) - F

Re: Re: uhoh... on 04/12/2012 13:27:20 MDT Print View

I'm hoping not! keep your fingers crossed for me =D

Clint Hewitt
(WalkSoftly33) - F

Re: Re: Re: uhoh... on 04/12/2012 19:59:15 MDT Print View

Bummer you cant make it Pete. Next time, the season is young. I am still up for this hike, I am excited for it, should be a sweet trip to get some hiking in. Steve my feet are crossed as I type this does that count? Here is to not having work to do. You know you would rather be out hikin.

Steven Adeff
(TinCanFury) - F

thoughts on 04/16/2012 09:01:41 MDT Print View

http://www.hikingnewengland.com/topic/915-monadnock-sunapee-greenway/page__view__findpost__p__4317

good report of a two day trip of it.

What's everyone's time schedule for meeting on Friday? I have to work Friday but am hoping I can head home around 4 which means I could be at Monadnock around 7/7:30 to meet Ryan and then drive up.

Jake D
(JakeDatc) - F

Locale: Bristol,RI
Re: thoughts on 04/16/2012 11:10:50 MDT Print View

lol 40lb for a 2 day mentally posting "you're doing it wrong!"

looks like i might be doing the CT section of AT the 28th weekend. 3 nights. aiming for a pack <25

Ryan Linn
(ryan.c.linn)

Re: thoughts on 04/16/2012 14:30:12 MDT Print View

I hiked the Greenway a few months after those folks. I don't remember it being very difficult, but I was coming straight from the White Mountains, so maybe my perspective was a little off. Either way, I think we'll be fine.

We've got one guy from Views From The Top joining us now.

Monadnock at 7/7:30... looks like we'll have a little bit of night hiking on Friday. No matter. I think it'll be a good time.

Steven Adeff
(TinCanFury) - F

Re: Re: thoughts on 04/16/2012 14:43:09 MDT Print View

One nice thing about a desk job is I have the weekdays to recover =D

If I can somehow manage to bring Lupus to work Friday I could cut that time off by at least an hour. dunno if I can pull that off though...

Jeremy Osburn
(earn_my_turns)

sorry to steal for a post on 04/16/2012 17:40:08 MDT Print View

I put up a Catskills loop thread, figured I would post here to spark some interest...

Catskills Big Indian Wilderness Loop

Have a fun trip this weekend, count me in on future trips that are for the weekend warriors!

Clint Hewitt
(WalkSoftly33) - F

Re: Re: thoughts on 04/16/2012 21:30:46 MDT Print View

If we could hike in the 7mi to Gaplin Shelter Friday night that would put us in good position for the 25mi to Crider Shelter on sat, leaving about 18.5 Sunday to Monadnock.

The other option is to make it to Fox Brook Tent Platform by Saturday night from where ever we camp at Friday night and then have 25mi to go on Sunday

A little bit of night hiking might be fun...though I better check the batteries are fresh.

Clint Hewitt
(WalkSoftly33) - F

sunapee on 04/16/2012 21:44:50 MDT Print View

Should I meet you guys at sunapee?