Forum Index » Hiking Partners / Group Trip Announcements » New England GGG #3 Springtime!

Display Avatars Sort By:
Ryan Linn
(ryan.c.linn)

Locale: Maine!
Re: Re: Re: Monadnock-Sunapee, black flies. on 04/23/2012 07:01:17 MDT Print View

More trip report to come soon, I reckon, but here are the basics:

Hit the trail at 8 PM friday night, hiked 4.5 miles in the dark.
8 AM to 9 PM saturday. Wicked hot weather, some nasty blackflies at the end of the day, and 26.4 miles of hiking.
8 AM to 8 PM sunday, cold, cold cold. Started raining around 3 PM. 19.5 miles.

I am one big bundle of soreness right now. I can't imagine how Clint and Steve and Lupus are doing. Awesome weekend.

Steven Adeff
(TinCanFury) - F

Locale: Boston
Re: Re: Re: Re: Monadnock-Sunapee, black flies. on 04/23/2012 07:51:21 MDT Print View

my quick notes:
-the ball of my right foot is sore, otherwise my feet don't feel all that bad, they've been worse.
-my eyes are still recovering from having forgotten my contacts case and wearing them all weekend. mental note: no more mental lists, print and verify.
-the rest of my body is fine, we'll see how I feel after a soccer game tonight...
-I'm at work, my gear is all still in my car.
-Lupus had no issues going up or down the stairs at home, he's exhausted, but probably the least physically sore than the rest of us =P
-even after eating a salad, steak, broccoli, mashed potatoes, one of those appetizer things, and a handful of french fries last night I still woke up starving, had a bowl of berries, yogurt and granola for breakfast, no change. I may need to double up on lunch.
-I'm scheduling a hair cut asap.
-I'm with Ryan on his comment in the middle of the rain, "I need a waterproof camera"

I'll post up my photos some time today hopefully.

Tony Wong
(Valshar) - MLife

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area
Re: Monadnock-Sunapee, black flies. on 04/23/2012 11:27:21 MDT Print View

Ryan & Steven,

Great to hear that you got out there for your 1st BPL get together.

Looking forward to seeing pictures of your adventure.

Sounds like an adventure for your with high mileage and rain.

I would be sore too!

-Tony

Steven Adeff
(TinCanFury) - F

Re: Re: Monadnock-Sunapee, black flies. on 04/23/2012 15:37:14 MDT Print View

just got a text from Clint, he made it home alive, though very late in the morning, but still chipper about the hike!

Clint Hewitt
(WalkSoftly33) - F

Locale: New England
Trip on 04/23/2012 20:30:30 MDT Print View

sore I don't know what your talking about, it was but a light stroll in a sunny day. I think a branch may ever so slightly have brushed against my face.

Translation...

sore no part of my body doesn't know the feeling right now, it was a death march during a torrential hail storm. I thank that a branch did not pierce my eye socket, but just jammed itself into the bone and skin of my face.

It was fun to see where I was at after a big lull in hiking over the winter. This trip was a great way to kick off the season. Enough hills to let me know I need to hike more hills.

Also I was able to really try hiking with out poles and a hip belt this trip, there is a good bit that I like about it and can see my self using the techniques more on shorter trips

I had a good time, the end of the trip was rough for sure. Fairly cold and wet second half of the day Sunday and it was a longtime getting home. I may have taken a nap at work today. But hey I punched out for it!

I look forward to more trips

Clint Hewitt
(WalkSoftly33) - F

The good the bad and the ugly. on 04/24/2012 06:15:52 MDT Print View

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFoS9bho2Ww

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: New England GGG #3 Springtime! on 04/24/2012 06:42:59 MDT Print View

I like your different take on the GGG. Good job. Has me thinking...

Glad no black flies out here.

Clint Hewitt
(WalkSoftly33) - F

Re: Re: New England GGG #3 Springtime! on 04/24/2012 18:31:45 MDT Print View

yea the black flies came in full force at times, but it was a enjoyable to watch an epic gust of wind blast them away during our break on a peak after suffering helplessly in the prior moments.

I do not get out nearly enough, sometimes it feels good to put your self through some miles and stretch out the body a bit.

Our October trip was probably more typical a fairly social event with the typical gear showings and socializing and what not with a short day hike the second day. These last two have been a bit different. The January trip taking me out in the coldest weather I have slept outside in -17f. And this trip was the most miles I have done on a trip so early in the season and very close to the most miles I have done in a day. I have to say it was a great trail to take to at this time of the year, none of the hills lasted for ever, no false summits, a bit of road walking, trail was in good condition, it worked out great.

As an aside, the girlfriend is digging the swollen calf muscle look and that's a bonus for sure, but what she doesn't know is how sore they are. It is not that I did not tell her they are sore, but that there is not a way to convey the soreness that accurately describes said soreness.

Steven Adeff
(TinCanFury) - F

Re: Re: Re: New England GGG #3 Springtime! on 04/24/2012 18:38:23 MDT Print View

https://plus.google.com/photos/102021301564186138297/albums/5735009046946466273?hl=en

my photos (with panoramas) with some select photos that Ryan took.

let me know if you can't see them but they should be set to public.

Clint Hewitt
(WalkSoftly33) - F

photos on 04/24/2012 18:41:51 MDT Print View

I see them.

Steven Adeff
(TinCanFury) - F

Re: photos on 04/24/2012 19:12:58 MDT Print View

what's the g/f think of the badd@$$ scars?

Clint Hewitt
(WalkSoftly33) - F

Re: Re: photos on 04/24/2012 19:37:32 MDT Print View

There are some pretty good photos in there. Lupus rolling onthe ground, lupus finding his soft spot on the grass during our break. Picture of your monkey feet. I really like the profile pic of me with the clouds in the background, came out really cool.

There is a good amount of pics there. Thanks for sharing them. I decided not to bring my camera but I think there is something to completing the circle, having an experience and then creating something from that to share with others. Pictures, paintings, stories, songs what ever is cool.

The girlfriend was more taken with my calves then my dismangled face which makes me think I can stare at her breast more...haha

Jake D
(JakeDatc) - F

Locale: Bristol,RI
Re: photos on 04/24/2012 20:35:13 MDT Print View

Yep.. good stuff..

Clint "you're gunna shoot your eye out!"

looks like a fun trail. i'll have to do it sometime with a more reasonable game plan for my legs. Or in the fall when i have a lot more trail behind me.

Steven Adeff
(TinCanFury) - F

Re: Re: photos on 04/24/2012 20:39:53 MDT Print View

yea, I'm a photo takin' fool.

Jake: def do it, but yea, 3 or 4 days to enjoy it would be best, there are some really beautiful areas (and way too many dirt roads...).

Jake D
(JakeDatc) - F

Re: Re: Re: photos on 04/24/2012 22:25:56 MDT Print View

Yea. we'll see how the rest of my plans go.

leaving in the AM for Jug end rd SOBO to Kent section hike in CT. 50mi 4.5 days.. will either be a good wake up call or casual. 24lb pack with food + 1L water 14lb base

have a good week/end :) pics to come

Pete Anderson
(hosaphone) - F

Locale: Boston-ish, MA
re on 04/24/2012 23:39:57 MDT Print View

I was outside all day on Sunday in the rain but not hiking, what a miserable day. I can only imagine it was even more miserable up in the mountains. Was thinking about you guys hoping the rain missed you or held off until you were done but I guess not!

Hope I can make it for the next trip.

And having a camera you don't have to worry about getting wet is pretty great... But on the other hand if it's raining you're probably not going to be too inclined to stop and take a picture anyways... At least not of the scenery because visibility is probably nil.

Edited by hosaphone on 04/24/2012 23:41:54 MDT.

Steven Adeff
(TinCanFury) - F

rain on 04/25/2012 06:52:03 MDT Print View

Jake: enjoy, this weekend is looking like it will be a great one for a hike!

Pete: you obviously don't know how trigger happy I am with a camera! I took 500 photos over three days when hiking the Wildcat/Carter/Moriah ridge last year, and 200 on our Katahdin day hike.
The rain wasn't very heavy, just long and steady, though we were "in the clouds" for a bit with lowered visibility, but all that combined to make a really idyllic hike. If my camera was not currently my phone I would have braved the possible water damage for some photos.

Adam Klagsbrun
(klags) - MLife

Locale: Northeast US
Looks great! on 04/25/2012 10:54:56 MDT Print View

Looks like you guys had a great time! Wish I could have made this one but it wasn't in the cards. I'm hoping to do a trip in the next few weeks somewhere in the catskills, maybe something that would be able to incorporate fishing since its prime fly fishing season, and I'm looking to switch to tenkara this year. Anyone have any suggestions for a shorter hike that would leave me time to fish a small river or wider stream for small trout? In addition, anyone interested in putting a trip together? I could provide extra fishing gear for others. I'm itching to get out finally since my last trip to Cascade/Porter ridge was in Feb!

Eric Jahn-Clough
(ejcfree) - F - M

Locale: off grid
Nice on 05/03/2012 05:53:53 MDT Print View

Congrats guys. Three trips together in six months. That's a regular thing you've got going. Whites in June?

Jake D
(JakeDatc) - F

Monadnock > sunapee take 2? on 05/14/2012 22:28:50 MDT Print View

Anyone that didn't make the first trip want to try this soon? (or anyone that did that wants to try it without a snorkle). my schedule is pretty much wide open but would like to do it in 4 days instead of what they did in a rushed 2.5.

Jake