Forum Index » Hiking Partners / Group Trip Announcements » New England GGG #3 Springtime!

Display Avatars Sort By:
Ryan Linn
(ryan.c.linn)

Locale: Maine!
Re: sunapee on 04/17/2012 06:34:23 MDT Print View

That's probably a good bet. I'm going to call the ski resort today about where we should park. If we're going to start hiking relatively late, it might be a good idea for us to hike as a group for the evening. The beginning of the trail from the ski resort can be tricky to find. Once you're at the summit, it's much easier.

And getting all the way to the Galpin shelter is probably a really good idea, too. I'm still going to bring my tarp for tenting just in case. 7 miles in the dark will be exciting, to say the least :)

Ryan Linn
(ryan.c.linn)

Re: Re: sunapee on 04/17/2012 07:39:02 MDT Print View

I just called the ski resort about parking, and they said we're fine to park in Lot 2, just let them know ahead of time what type of car, license plate, and for how long (I guess just in case cars get abandoned there or something). If those of you who are coming want to email me with that info, I'll call the resort back and let them know which cars will be at their lot for the weekend.

I just remembered, some of the best views of the greenway are between Sunapee and Galpin shelter, but... whateva. If we do that section at night we'll just have to come back for those views some other time :)

Steven Adeff
(TinCanFury) - F

Locale: Boston
Re: Re: Re: sunapee on 04/17/2012 12:56:12 MDT Print View

we can always hike it South to North?

Ryan Linn
(ryan.c.linn)

Re: Re: Re: Re: sunapee on 04/17/2012 14:01:13 MDT Print View

South to north? Well that's just crazy talk.

Actually, that might be a much better idea. Sunset on Monadnock, then 6 easy miles to Spiltoir Shelter. Then 44 miles in two days? In that case we'd meet at sunapee, then shuttle down to Monadnock.

Steven Adeff
(TinCanFury) - F

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: sunapee on 04/17/2012 14:37:05 MDT Print View

haha, you know me, i'M CrAzY!

Perhaps then, Clint and/or the VFTT fellow could meet you at the North and drive down south and that will "buy" me time to meet you?

Ryan Linn
(ryan.c.linn)

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: sunapee on 04/17/2012 15:50:04 MDT Print View

Oops. The guy from VFTT is out-- change of plans.

So... Clint, when can you get to Sunapee? :)

Clint Hewitt
(WalkSoftly33) - F

Locale: New England
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: sunapee on 04/17/2012 17:50:40 MDT Print View

I like the change in plans, heading north sounds good to me. I have already hiked monadnock before so the goal will be a place I have not been and We get to hit the views on sunday.

I am going to ask tomorrow, Defiantly by 4 but I am hoping to get out by 3 or earlier if I can that way I could be at sunapee by 530 and we could be down to monadnock before 7.

Ryan Linn
(ryan.c.linn)

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: sunapee on 04/18/2012 07:16:19 MDT Print View

The guy from VFTT is back in, and he lives near Concord, which is close to Sunapee. So I may meet him in the afternoon at Sunapee, leave my car there, and we can all meet near monadnock.

Monadnock to Spiltoir shelter- 6 miles
Spiltoir Shelter to General Washington Shelter- 25 miles
Washington Shelter to Sunapee Parking lot- 18 miles

No problem.

Clint Hewitt
(WalkSoftly33) - F

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: sunapee on 04/18/2012 18:47:17 MDT Print View

That works for me, I was not able to ask today about getting out early but I have put in extra time this week and it should not be a prob. If I can leave by 3 I will be at monadnock around 6 leaving straight from work.

Looks like we may hit a little weather on saturday and a even better chance sunday. I am hoping ti will clear up but....if it rains I dont care dont make no difference to me...

Ryan ur hiking plan looks good to me. Lets do this!

Ryan Linn
(ryan.c.linn)

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: sunapee on 04/19/2012 06:30:30 MDT Print View

Sweet. Let's meet in Peterborough NH at the Toadstool Bookstore around 6 or so. I'm meeting the VFTT guy at Sunapee earlier to drop off a car, and we'll head to Peterborough from there.

Let's see. Clint and Steve, I'll email you my phone number in case you don't have it.

Looks like rain! But hopefully not too much.

Steven Adeff
(TinCanFury) - F

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: sunapee on 04/19/2012 08:21:17 MDT Print View

Peterborough weather shows thunderstorms on Saturday from noon to two-ish, then at 6, and later not until 10pm (hopefully we've set up camp at that point). Sunday cloudy possible drizzle.

I need a lighter rain jacket...

Ryan Linn
(ryan.c.linn)

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: sunapee on 04/19/2012 13:04:23 MDT Print View

"I need a lighter rain jacket..."

I think I have a spare driducks jacket around here somewhere...

Clint Hewitt
(WalkSoftly33) - F

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: sunapee on 04/19/2012 20:29:26 MDT Print View

12 Depot Street, Peterborough, NH 03458 (Toadstool Bookshops)

Is this correct?

Clint Hewitt
(WalkSoftly33) - F

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: sunapee on 04/19/2012 20:48:49 MDT Print View

I confirmed with my boss I can get out at 3:00 looks like it will take me 2.5 to get to toadstool book store if I have the correct address, so we could meet at 5:30.

Jake D
(JakeDatc) - F

Locale: Bristol,RI
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: sunapee on 04/19/2012 23:17:05 MDT Print View

Have a kickass time guys. stay Dry-ish and take plenty of pictures.

Ryan Linn
(ryan.c.linn)

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: sunapee on 04/20/2012 05:32:24 MDT Print View

You've got the address correct, Clint. http://www.toadbooks.com/

Actually, it looks like they close at 6, but we can meet in the parking lot. There's a diner right across the lot from them, anyway, in case we need to hit that up.

Looks like we're bringing the rain to New England. Everyone who is suffering from the drought should thank us :)

Walter Carrington
(Snowleopard) - M

Locale: Mass.
Monadnock-Sunapee, black flies. on 04/20/2012 07:59:15 MDT Print View

Hey, have fun out there.
Black flies were out on Mt. Watatic yesterday (15 miles from Monadnock). They're not biting yet but are getting annoying.
You might think about bringing a little bit of DEET.
--Walter

Steven Adeff
(TinCanFury) - F

Re: Monadnock-Sunapee, black flies. on 04/20/2012 08:01:05 MDT Print View

doh! I didn't bring my netted hammock since there weren't any in the Whites last weekend. let's hope they're not biting!

tommy d
(vinovampire) - F
I go away for a few weeks and this is what I miss on 04/22/2012 18:34:22 MDT Print View

Looks like a fun trip plan. How was the swimming... 'er, I mean hiking this weekend?

I look forward to reading the trip report on this one.

-VinoVampyr

Jake D
(JakeDatc) - F

Locale: Bristol,RI
Re: Re: Monadnock-Sunapee, black flies. on 04/22/2012 20:31:51 MDT Print View

forget about the flies lol if they didn't bail out somewhere they are in for an epic rain gear, shelter etc rain test.

sending dry vibes guys!