Forum Index » Packrafting » Wild Wisconsin

Display Avatars Sort By:
Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Locale: Wisconsin
Wild Wisconsin on 03/24/2012 23:48:39 MDT Print View

Photos from a 12 mile run of the Peshtigo River in northern Wisconsin. I did run everything in the photos--it was my fastest water to date.

rtu

hk;

kp'

gjk

tykr

ruyo

drtjuy

uykru6l

zsdg

guk;

rhk

dgm

tdhkmh

srgj

ryulu

dthkdytsrth

aerh

dtk

wrtuj

aserthj

srtj

srtu

Edited by T.L. on 03/24/2012 23:50:41 MDT.

Luke Schmidt
(Cameron) - MLife

Locale: The WOODS
Impressive on 03/25/2012 00:11:21 MDT Print View

Impressive, and no swimming? Sometime I need to post pictures of my last kayaking trip. Actually more of a swimming trip because we tried flat water kayaks on whitewatr, not smart.

Is it just me or is the water level a bit high? Looks like the river is almost flooding.

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Re: Impressive on 03/25/2012 00:19:46 MDT Print View

Thanks, Luke,

no swimming! But almost on that last one. The river is swollen from the spring melt off, but not at flood stage.

Kyle Crawford
(getupandgo) - F

Locale: SouthEast
Wild Wisconsin on 03/25/2012 01:31:32 MDT Print View

Nice Travis!

Looks like you had a blast.

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Re: Wild Wisconsin on 03/25/2012 01:43:56 MDT Print View

I did! It took me about 4 hours to run the 12 miles, which included scouting, pee breaks, and slow flat water. I almost got sucked down into a hole by the hydraulics in the last few pictures, but I popped out safely. I had a wetsuit which not only helps a great deal in cool weather and cold water, but would also help during a swim.

Jim Colten
(jcolten)

Locale: MN
Re: Wild Wisconsin on 03/25/2012 04:33:36 MDT Print View

The Peshtigo! I've canoed a few of WI streams but never there. It's a bit far east for me and then there was Whitewater/Quietwater's description ...."Meaner than a junkyard dog in high water"

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: Wild Wisconsin on 03/25/2012 13:19:46 MDT Print View

All along I thought the term "Wild Wisconsin" referred to the coeds in Madison.

--B.G.--

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife
Re: Wild Wisconsin on 03/25/2012 13:26:19 MDT Print View

Nice Travis. Interesting that it is no faster than being on foot, when you factor in inflating, deflating and such. So fun though.

Eugene Smith
(Eugeneius) - MLife

Locale: Nuevo Mexico
"Wild Wisconsin" on 03/25/2012 14:22:24 MDT Print View

Yeeeeehaaaaa! (*hands in the air)

Who knew sitting cross legged on your butt for 4hrs. could be so much fun? Looks like a good time.

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Re: Re: Wild Wisconsin on 03/25/2012 16:30:38 MDT Print View

Ken- yeah, when you factor everything in, it really isn't that much faster than hiking. However, it does give your lower body a rest, and it's super fun.

Eugene- that is what pee breaks are for...giving the legs and butt a rest! Actually, you can stretch out your legs in an appropriately sized Alpacka.

I did this run solo, but this weekend the wife will be joining me. She's a trooper.

Dan Durston
(dandydan) - M

Locale: Cascadia
Wisconsin Rafting on 03/25/2012 18:05:36 MDT Print View

Wow looks like quite the river. Congrats on tackling this one. Thanks for posting the pics.

Lawson Kline
(Mountainfitter) - M

Locale: LawsonEquipment.com
Nice Photos on 03/26/2012 10:16:45 MDT Print View

Nice Photos : ) Looks like you had a great time. I can't wait to try my hand at pack-rafting..

Gregory Topf
(notoriousGRT) - MLife

Locale: PNW / Switzerland
gnarly on 04/10/2012 03:29:10 MDT Print View

gnarly waves and drops...I often portage those when solo...sounds like you were prepared to swim though, and luckily didn't have to.